Over 7yrs as a JW and I just found out I'm not supposed to buy Girl Scout Cookies?

by Maat13 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maat13
    Maat13

Clarity,

I do plan on sharing my story. I started with something as simple as Girl Scout cookies because I feel as though it represents the "tip of the iceberg".

ABibleStudent

Yes, I am married to a JW and we have kids who are very aware of their surroundings. Any annocement now could upset the apple cart. I agree with you, no need to bombard the spouse with my latest revelations just yet. I have been reading posts on this site for the last six months. I finally got the courage to join and ultimately make a personal post. I still have much independent studying to do. I have looked at a few sites very briefly, however I've spent most of my time reading posts here trying to figure out a proper exit plan.

Kate,

Yes I am lookiing for assistance with an exit plan. I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel and I am sure there are a number of folks posting to this site who can provide me great advice.

I look forward to the encouragement.

Thanks all (This is much harder than I thought it was going to be!)

Maat

• blondie
    blondie

I found it interesting that there is nothing in print about not buying girl scout cookies, not even about not joining girl scouts.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a sly jab at girl scout cookies:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7kWQ/special-k-protein-cereal-doughnut-willpower

As an aside, gosh I hate Special-K. The glycemic index of their cereals is horrible. Their doctored flavours to raise the glycemic index are loaded with sugar. But hubby has bought in to the hype and eats it whenever he wants to lose weight. IMHO, this is an example where successful marketing overrides reason.

Maat, I predict all success for you. Your first post reminds me very much of my early days on the board.

• jgnat
    jgnat

NAVYTOWN, the Witnesses are not the only religion to use a heightened fastidiousness to separate themselves from the vast unwashed. Lots of religions have odd taboos. The care in following all these prohibitions I believe, does give the follower a heightened sense of purity.

Case in point, the dietary restrictions for Orthodox Jews and Muslims.

http://www.i-c-r.org.uk/publications/monographarchive/Monograph41.pdf

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/schloesser/HS041-042/fall/w04/resources/DOUGLAS_Purity-Danger.pdf

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Maat, welcome!

One question: If oatmeal cookies are made out of oatmeal, of what are girl scout cookies made?

Oubliette

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome, glad you found us.

There are a lot of little things that are culturally ingrained, but that they don't publish in the literature much, as they don't want the rest of the world to realize how crazy and controlling they are. It's hard to imagine how something so innocent could be forbidden, but that's what happens when you get into a cult, nothing is too trivial for them to get their undies in a bunch about.

I have been out for a while, so I sometimes forget about the girl scout cookie thing. Girl Scout cookies are still forbidden to me though, I am gluten intolerant. My husband knows to only buy the kind he likes, as cookies are my weakness and I can't resist Somosas. Another no no is the Salvation Army, I remember my first Christmas and being happy to be able to drop some money in the kettle, it was a good feeling to be able to do something like that.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have been reading posts on this site for the last six months. Yes I am lookiing for assistance with an exit plan. - Maat

You have been lurking for longer than I have been posting. Well done for finally posting, it took great courage on your part. Each person is individual and has their own way of exiting this cult. Many wish to slowly and quietly leave with out rocking the boat and some have a dramatic exit.

There are consequences to both, if you try and do a slow fade you could end up living a lie for years to come and feeling trapped and isolated. If you just drop everything and dramatically declare it's all false you could ruin you family. Striking the balance is difficult and specific to you as an individual, you will not be reinventing the wheel, but you will have to tailor your exit to your needs and circumstances.

The first thing to establish is.................How deeply indoctrinated is your spouse? You need to test the waters with some magazine articles and family worship nights.

Kate xx

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Maat13 - I have looked at a few sites very briefly, however I've spent most of my time reading posts here trying to figure out a proper exit plan.

Hi Maat13, Have you thought about starting another thread asking for advice about how to successfully fade from the WTBTS with your family?

IMHO a successful plan will have goals to independently research the WTBTS to confirm your suspicions and to help your wife and children to critically think for themselves. It will also have the following elements:

1. Visit reputable websites such as www.jwfacts.com , www.freedomofmind.com , www.watchtowerdocuments.com , www.jwsurvey.org , www.freeminds2.org , etc. to confirm your suspicions as well as learn how to help your wife and children to critically think for themselves.
    2. Show and tell your wife and children how you love them unconditionally. Also, show them that you will not judge them for believing differently than you do.
    3. Read cult-exit counselor books to help your wife and children to critically think for themselves, such as Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Helping People to Critically Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs").
    4. Ask your wife simple questions to learn more about how her authentic persona feels and what her authentic persona believes. To help by-pass your wife's cult persona, you will need to learn how to ask more probing questions like Billy the Ex-Bethelite wrote in the thread exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed. It is better to ask simple questions to learn whether your wife is a"Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JW than to tell her what you believe and possibly activate her cult persona. If she is a born-in, then she is more likely to be "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking).
    5. Ask your wife and children to go to fun places where they will meet more non-JWs who they may share common interests.
    6. Encourage your children to make play dates and sleep-overs with non-JW children who you and your wife like the children and the parents.
    7. Encourage your wife to do time-consuming hobbies that she enjoys and will take more time away from attending meetings and reading WTBTS propaganda.
    8. Do not donate time nor money to the WTBTS. If your wife likes to donate to the WTBTS, then tell her that you will give a donation to the WTBTS. I think a simple note in the donation box, such as "I will donate to the WTBTS when the WTBTS starts following the teachings of Jesus Christ instead of the 8 GB" or "I will donate when the WTBTS is no longer a dangerous cult." would be good donations.
    9. If your wife doesn't use the internet, help her to learn how to locate cheaper hotel, car, and plane deals. This will help you to convince her to use the internet to locate accommodations for assemblies and conventions instead of using the WTBTS approved list. It may also allow your wife to more quickly transition from her cult persona to her authentic persona after the meetings by staying in a nice hotel away from other JWs.
    10. Get more education/training to qualify for a better paying career maybe in a different part of the country to help you fade. Getting more education/training will help you justify lower meeting attendance and FS participation.
    11. Vent on JWN as much as possible to reduce your frustrations as well as write threads to ask for advice with specific issues that you encounter.

The hardest part of leaving the WTBTS is overcoming your fears that the WTBTS has indoctrinated you with. The second hardest part is helping your JW family to critically think for themselves without raising their suspicions that you no longer believe that the WTBTS is the sole channel to God.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• blondie
  • Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I agree with Blondie... Nothing in the "publications" about girl scout cookies...

However, I'm not at all surprized...

In the early 80's, I was scolded by my JW parents for buying girl scout cookies. I was a sophomore or junior in high school at the time so I was naturally pissed for being called out. Then, some weeks later, I was embarrassed during a weekly book study when my mother brought up girl scout cookies again as part of her irrelevant response to a question by the study conductor. I simply lowered my head in utter disbelief... I mean, wtf?

Anyways, the study conductor then made a ridiculous comment about girl scouts cookies having been sold in the past to raise money for the US military. Not sure if this is true or not but who cares what the money was used for in the past? And why boycott the girl scouts over things they are no longer involved in?

--- end of rant --

Maat13... I hope you the best in your escape from this ridiculous cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit