Active JW's, can you defend "THE TRUTH?"

by DATA-DOG 387 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Punk! Yes, that's my point about the bible quotes. But I don't see the need to hammer in that the bible is just fraud....it's better if a believer gets to that cobclusion himself. If you can get a believer to read the bible with new/critical eyes, he will probably realize that christianity started as a apocalyptic dooms-day cult. Lot's of people put their lives on hold (in best case) believing that the end of the world was near. That was tragic then, nd it is tragic in the same way know. But I think that every person has to come to his/her own conclusion.

I think it is important being careful talking to an active JW with doubts. D O T has started thinking, that's great. And he/she has alwas been nice on this board. I see no need to hammer in some TTATTs. Lets try to be polite, I am sure that D O T is honest iin his/her questions.

• defender of truth
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would be nice for DOT to just pick one subject. I know it's very difficult when you start having legitmate questions. It would be great if certain other ones would stop insulting the JWN members. We do not want DOT to follow us, or believe us without question.

DOT, you can always pick a subject yourself and start your own thread. No one is going to attack you. We all have questions, that's ok. The challenge seems to be avoiding creating our own dogma and expecting others to believe it with out adequate proof. We can't project onto others.

Just for review:

CRITERIA FOR TRUTH

1) God's word is the ultimate source of truth.

2) Truth is the correct understanding of God's word.

3) Jesus' words are truth.

4) No "truth" can contradict another "truth." If there is a contradiction, only one can be true.

5) Truth does not change. Truth remains truth. [ not so with men's ideas ]

6) No probabilities or assumptions allowed. God's true prophets never prophesied in probabilities or assumptions. Exactly what they said came true.

7) Truth is verifiable facts.

DD

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

While I'm waiting to hear Heavensgates reply about the overlapping, I wanted to make one quick point. I'm glad that we don't speculate on the date of Armageddon any longer. At least we can no longer be accused of date setting. There is some fine counsel in this Watchtower..

Wt 6/15 1962 p.380-383
    "Likewise it is possible to spend valuable time speculating on matters concerning the future. One might ask, In what year will Armageddon begin?...Jehovah has not provided answers at this time. Do you think it wise for Christians to take time from more profitable Bible study to speculate on the answers? Consider the dangers...involves more than saving time. It may save your life...Personal theories can cause division of thought..By setting up hypothetical situations and then speculating..are we not in fact adding to Jehovahs words?..We cannot worship Jehovah in spirit and in truth if our worship is based on speculation. Truth and theory are not synonymous. "
    And also this one..

“Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?( Gen. 18:25)
    Abraham posed this rhetorical question to Jehovah at the time of God’s judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham considered it unthinkable that Jehovah could ever act unjustly—putting the righteous to death with the wicked. Abraham’s question reflects his deep faith in Jehovah’s righteousness.

Today, some may be inclined to speculate about matters regarding Jehovah’s future judgments, such as who exactly will survive Armageddon or who will receive a resurrection. Rather than allowing such thoughts to disturb us, we can recall Abraham’s question."
    w10 4/15 pp. 13-15

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

The OVERLAPPING GENERATION teaching puts a time frame on the end.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Wt 6/15 1962 p.380-383
    "Likewise it is possible to spend valuable time speculating on matters concerning the future. One might ask, In what year will Armageddon begin?...Jehovah has not provided answers at this time. Do you think it wise for Christians to take time from more profitable Bible study to speculate on the answers? Consider the dangers...involves more than saving time. It may save your life...Personal theories can cause division of thought..By setting up hypothetical situations and then speculating..are we not in fact adding to Jehovahs words?..We cannot worship Jehovah in spirit and in truth if our worship is based on speculation. Truth and theory are not synonymous. "

Thank you, DOT. This one is really a gem! Just a few years later the WT-society started that 1975-hype. I am sure this can be something for JW-facts :P

But, to be honest; do you really think that Heavensgate will provide an explanation for the overlapping generatian thats is trustworthy? And, both you and I knows that the overlapping generations is the PRESENT truth......but, do you really think it is the real truth? I know a lot of active JW who think this teaching is ridiculous and that is has to come new light again.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Yes, Brainfloss, and it makes it possible for the org to hang on to the 1914 teaching.

I know some specualation of 2034. 1914+120 years

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

And how can the overlapping teaching be true if it isn't found in Gods Word?.. (referring to criteria 1. I sense that DD is getting peeved that I have taken things off topic. Sorry.)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" The OVERLAPPING GENERATION teaching puts a time frame on the end."

Yep. It does. The GB are at a loss. How do they foster a sense of urgency after all the years of the WTBTS's expectations falling flat?? Uniformity, urgency, these must be maintained. There were only two real choices:

1) Admit that you don't know what you are doing and ask the other "anointed" Brothers and Sisters for help.

2) Ignore the " network of anointed", label them as possibly mentally and emotionally unbalanced, all but forbid partaking with a new Memorial outline while also claiming the sole right/ability to understand God's word. Never mind Jesus' promiise about sending the helper to ALL of God's children. Side-line even Jesus' hand-picked disciples and claim to be the only ones in Man's history to be "faithful and discreet" slaves of Christ Jesus. Then, carry on business as usual while simultaneously slandering all who disagree with your "ideas."

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

DOT, I am not peeved. I wish Heavensgate could stay on topic and not write an entire page of comments that answer nothing. Your "overlapping" generation question is a good one. Here is a quiz:

1) How many generations do you see?

Did you know God's word tells us EXACTLY how to get the answer? Job 42:16,17

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit