Active JW's, can you defend "THE TRUTH?"

by DATA-DOG 387 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Organ Transplants

Transplants are a relatively new procedure and the rise in popularity during the 20th century led to the Society needing to provide a ruling on whether this conflicted with God's Holy requirements. When the Governing Body prayed for Jehovah to guide them on his standard, what was their conclusion?

"Is there anything in the Bible against giving one's eyes (after death) to be transplanted to some living person?-L. C., United States. The question of placing one's body or parts of one's body at the disposal of men of science or doctors at one's death for purposes of scientific experimentation or replacement in others is frowned upon by certain religious bodies. However, it does not seem that any Scriptural principle or law is involved. It therefore is something that each individual must decide for himself." Watchtower 1961 Aug 1 p.480 Questions from Readers

It did not take long for the Watchtower to change their mind on this life saving procedure.

"Sustaining one's life by means of the body or part of the body of another human ... would be cannibalism, a practice abhorrent to all civilized people. ... It is not our place to decide whether such operations are advisable from a scientific or medical standpoint... Christians who have been enlightened by God's Word do not need to make these decisions based simply on the basis of personal whim or emotion. They can consider the divine principles and use these in making personal decisions as they look to God for direction, trusting him and putting their confidence in the future that he has in store for those who love him." Watchtower1967 Nov 15 pp.702-704

This article used the full force of God's name mixed with a touch of guilt to persuade the followers. 'Look to God', 'love him', be 'enlightened by God's Word' and don't have a transplant. Any Witness that had a transplant had engaged in 'cannibalism' and was a person without 'trust' in Jehovah, somebody the congregations found necessary to disfellowship from amongst their midst. Scare tactics were used, such as that the personality can change with a transplant.

"A peculiar factor sometimes noted is a so-called 'personality transplant.' That is, the recipient in some cases has seemed to adopt certain personality factors of the person from whom the organ came." Watchtower 1975 Sep 1 p.519

This pronouncement meant that a Jehovah's Witness could not accept a kidney transplant, a cornea transplant, bone marrow, skin, or anything else taken from another person. This has led to loss of lives that simple operations could have saved. It was reiterated in 1968 Awake! June 8, in which almost the entire magazine was devoted to the Watchtower view of medical procedures.

This edict on transplants, a disfellowshipping directive enlightened by God's Word lasted only thirteen years.

"There is no Biblical command pointedly forbidding the taking in of other human tissue ... It is a matter for personal decision..." Watchtower 1980 Mar 15 p 31:

The Watchtower has gone even further now, commending transplants for the way they have "helped" people. (Awake! 1989 Aug 22 p.6) What is shameful in all this is that it was never stated that the view had changed. The Watchtower Index does not reference the 1967 article in regards to transplants. No apology has been published for the sake of those that were wrongfully disfellowshipped and those that unnecessarily lost their lives. How must this make a Witness feel that lost a loved one over the issue during the 1970's?

For an experience of life wasted during the transplant ban see CoffeeBlack. The sad reality is that Witnesses as a whole do not even know that their teachings have changed. Many are willing to lay their lives on the line without an understanding of the issues at hand and how they differ from a not too distant past. The Society has blood on its hands when its incorrect use of the Name of God results in the death of misled members.

THIS WAS COPIED FROM JWFACTS.COM THE LINK WAS POSTED ABOVE YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE REFERENCES ARE FROM WTBS LITURATURE

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The TRUTH is like a LION..You don't have to defend it..Let it LOOSE.. It will defend itself..St. Augustine.....awatcher

......WBT$ Truth is like a Corpse..

It`s Dead and Smells Up the Room..

....................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"Agreed. Nobody today is inspired directly by God. So should nobody teach what is found in the Bible?"

WOW. That's quite the leap. Not going beyond what is written - that means reading entire chapters of the Bible and making sure that what you say doesn't contradict anything else- is what's important. No one said anything about not teaching from the Bible. You just shouldn't make interpretations that contradict other teachings, or just make up teachings on matters where the bible is silent. Banning organ transplants is a perfect example.

I am still curious if you believe that only men at world headquarters can interpret what the Bible says...

DD

• jgnat
    jgnat

The pastor of my local United Church, just as the Watchtower authors do, humbly admits he provides his own/flawed interpretation of the scriptures. Does he have the truth?

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

LITTLE BIT OF A DOUBLE STANDARD ---IF YOU ASK ME

""Tell me," he asked, "how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe 'new things.' How do I know the 'new things' will be the truth in five years?"" Awake! 1970 Apr 22 p.8

• galaxie
    galaxie

D O T, ..Can I refer you to your previous post 16 . You clearly state ," our core beliefs remain unchanged though

which is further EVIDENCE we have BEEN BLESSED with gradual understanding.

At what point in the gradual understanding did the blessing take place?

Will there be a CORRECT understanding at some point?

Or is each graduation seen as correct ie truth . You really have to be pretty screwed

to accept this.It basically means you will accept whatever those 8 guys come up with

WITHOUT QUESTION!!

IN post 17 you state the previous understanding was "not blessed" so I ask you again at what point was the gradual

understanding blessed even a gradual process has a beginning.

Again I would suggest you start to think for yourself and not be a pawn to those 8 men that you idolise.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Sorry wrong post

DEfender--here it is specifically from the literature, found it on an old WT library Cd

"Is there anything in the Bible against giving one's eyes (after death) to be transplanted to some living person?-L. C., United States. The question of placing one's body or parts of one's body at the disposal of men of science or doctors at one's death for purposes of scientific experimentation or replacement in others is frowned upon by certain religious bodies. However, it does not seem that any Scriptural principle or law is involved. It therefore is something that each individual must decide for himself." Watchtower1961 Aug 1 p.480 Questions from Readers

ready for change?

"Sustaining one's life by means of the body or part of the body of another human ... would be cannibalism, a practice abhorrent to all civilized people. ... It is not our place to decide whether such operations are advisable from a scientific or medical standpoint... Christians who have been enlightened by God's Word do not need to make these decisions based simply on the basis of personal whim or emotion. They can consider the divine principles and use these in making personal decisions as they look to God for direction, trusting him and putting their confidence in the future that he has in store for those who love him." Watchtower 1967 Nov 15 pp.702-704

now speaking from someone who was disfellowshipped by accepting a transplant i know for a fact that for 13 years this was a DF'ing offense. And hence, labelled and shunned. Then the stance changed in the 80's to just a conscience matter.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Data-Dog have you tried Yahoo Answers, lots of Witnesses collect Field Service time using it along with AllExperts. I don't think they are going to answer your questions because the Organization's Collective Thought is contracting like Quantum Physics Experts say the Universe will in 14 Billion years. What answers has anyone gotton off AllExperts?

http://www.allexperts.com/cl2/703/religionspirit/Jehovah-Witnesses/

"CRITERIA FOR TRUTH

1) God's word is the ultimate source of truth.

2) Truth is the correct understanding of God's word.

3) Jesus' words are truth.

4) No "truth" can contradict another "truth." If there is a contradiction, only one can be true.

5) Truth does not change. Truth remains truth. [ not so with men's ideas ]

6) No probabilities or assumptions allowed. God's true prophets never prophesied in probabilities or assumptions. Exactly what they said came true.

7) Truth is verifiable facts."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Lets be clear, all men that represented God in the bible could prophecy and it would come true or could perform miracles even both. This was the way in which they proved themselves gods chosen men. The JW's leadership has never been able to do either. Jesus also told his followers not to exalt themselves, so the fact that the leaders of this religion has done so disqualifies them period!

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Data-Dog, do you think in our Modern Times if a guy came from Heaven and started to cure all the ails of the V.A. Hospitals, Limb regenerations, waking people up from comas, fixing the mentally ills, would people believe or would they find excuses why he was not a real Prophet?

If the Prophet continued and cured people with inopperable cancer, would people's hearts change? How many miracles would it take for you to believe this guy is from God? People raised from the dead of your choice, I think if they raised up my Dad and siblings, I could sure use that spiritual boast because it's been so long since God has turned his attention to the Spiritual Seekers, what is he waiting for? How many miracles would it take to convince the most die-hard unbelievers? You think a Prophet would be accused of using High Technology and told "Your not God's Prophet, your just a advanced civilization?" I wonder if it's possible even with miracles to make the staunch believe, what say you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit