Active JW's, can you defend "THE TRUTH?"

by DATA-DOG 387 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Defender of Truth

Why would God need to publish magazines when all scriptures are from God?

If given by the holy spirit to write then why would they error. It should be the opposite writings with out errors of future prophecy. Written by Holy Slirit would be so fantastic it would compare to the bible.

It does not matter if Moses are Abraham was imperfect God bible proves they were choosen.

Where are the evidence the GB or Jehovahs Witnesses are God's choosen. They are not written in the bible. Who declares them the air!

• heavensgate11
    heavensgate11

Principals on theories: Conjecture, hypothesis, Theory

Framework: Archeological, Biblical, Historical, and Scientifically

1. Fundamental: Empirical proof helps us validate what we should and shouldn’t believe, but sometimes cold hard facts just aren’t available. Even when we don’t have solid proof, however, humans still tend to extend their sense of belief to certain phenomenon. From things we could never see with the human eye to life forms that have yet to be verified, here are the top things we believe despite a lack of verifiable proof. Aliens, Astrology, Ghosts, Karma, Intuition, Fate, Religious Texts, God.

Data Dog.

To have a discussion or debate within your narrative, we would first have to admit however you view the discussion the end game would be the same. The variations on arguments would lead to more questions than answers. The medium you placed at hand has several analogies’ that must be adhered to 100%. That scenario is not probable unless you equate man to Christ. I understand you wish to have a Jehovah’s Witness defend its credo, but under that framework, it would be impossible for any religion to defend its faith 100%. Should this discussion also include associations of Jehovah’s Witnesses that have been acknowledged but not representative of, on present doctrines?

Include: Bible Students, Bible Student Association, International Bible Student, International Bible student association, Standfast Movement, Pastoral Bible Institute, Laymen's Home Missionary Movement founded by P.S.L. Johnson, and Dawn Bible Students Association.

The representation on arguments the JWN makes falls within all these association plus a few more. The principle seem to imply guilt by association. Would the JW have to defend previous works not related to present times?

Check these Idealisms and fundamentals. Please keep in mind the principles and framework above.

Let’s begin with past Vision: Mark Twain versus the Bible

The Christian’s Bible is a drug store. Its contents remain the same; but the medical practice changes …The world has corrected the Bible. The church never corrects it; and also never fails to drop in at the tail of the procession – and take the credit of the correction.

During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after eight hundred years, gathered up its halters, thumb-screws, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood.

Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry … There are no witches. The witch text remains; only the practice has changed. Hell fire is gone, but the text remains. Infant damnation is gone, but the text remains. More than two hundred death penalties are gone from the law books, but the texts that authorized them remain.

Now let’s see within the realm of Science through astrology.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!"

-- Carl Sagan, Astronomer

No, the paraphrase is utterly wrong -- evidence isn't knowledge or proof, not even remotely! We can have evidence of things that aren't true. Why is it so hard for people to grasp this obvious fact? And absence of evidence can pertain to any empirical claim; it doesn't have to be an existence claim. If you're going to set up a topic for discussion, just state it as is; don't seed it with your own harebrained misunderstandings.

Some people do the same with a great many things. "I've never successfully used (single or multiple) inheritance without always running into problems, therefore the problem must be that inheritance is bad (and not simply that I used it badly), despite the fact that others talk of using it successfully. They must just be fooling themselves." Or replace "inheritance" with "O-O" or "C++" or "pair programming" or "parallel development" or anything else that is the subject of many popular raging debates on both sides of the continuum.

It's all too easy to jump to that wrong conclusion when it's a case of blaming something other ourselves. It's so much easier to point the finger at "O-O" or C++ or inheritance or parallel development, etc., than it is to point the finger in the other direction (just remember when you point your finger the other way, all the other fingers on that hand are pointing back at you ;-)

The context here has to do with lack of awareness. When people dismiss that possibility simply because they weren't aware of it, or haven't made the attempt to explore it, or haven't looked beyond their own personal usage/viewpoint -- then they are all too frequently jumping to conclusions based on lack of information rather than the presence of it. It may be that the conclusion was correct after all, but that doesn't make it any less premature at that time, before it was adequately explored.

A lot of the comments here are just plain wrong and wrongheaded, feeble and flawed attempts to make a false quote not false. But the quote IS false, an absence of evidence IS evidence of absence, by the proper understanding of evidence as being an observation that lends support to a proposition. The only case in which absence of evidence is not evidence of absence is when no attempt whatsoever has been made to obtain evidence ... that's not merely absence of evidence, it's absence of investigation.

his page is full of StrawMan arguments, so I'm listing it in the FallaciousArgument s.

Which arguments? How about the misstatement at the top, that AOEINEOA "means that if we don't know that something exists, it doesn't mean that it doesn't" -- it doesn't mean that at all. The latter is true, but AOEINEOA is false.

The "simply put" is simply mistaken; it doesn't mean that at all. The paraphrase is certainly true, and expresses the fallaciousness of argumentum ad ignorantiam -- absence of a proof is not proof of absence. But AOEINEOA says something different entirely; it is quite wrong, and indicates a misunderstanding of evidence and empirical science. Absence of evidence certainly is no proof of absence -- there aren't any empirical proofs in the mathematical sense -- but it is evidence of absence. That is, it does not falsify absence, and in fact gives reason to suspect absence. Just how good evidence of absence it is depends on how hard evidence of presence was sought. If we try really really hard to find evidence of life on Mars, using every technique we can think of, and yet we fail to do so, this is strong evidence that there is no life on Mars.

It is evidence of absence, true, but very, very weak evidence. To become a proof, one must exhaustively search all possible locations and establish absence in each. This is only rarely feasible, though it does happen. In those cases, AOEINEOA is a fallacy. Far more often, though, absence is established in some vanishing fraction of the possible locations of some phenomenon and that is held up as a proof. So the vast majority of times this saying is trotted out, the point holds. Compare "evidence of existence", where one good piece of evidence establishes the point beyond all doubt.

This misses 99% of the point I made, as it talks repeatedly about proof, which is not the subject at hand. A fine example is William Safire's claim that absence of evidence of WMD's in Iraq isn't evidence of absence -- he's just plain wrong, and the evidence isn't "very very weak", in fact it's very strong, because of the effort to find evidence and the eagerness of the searchers to find it. That I can't find any elephants in my living room is overwhelming evidence that there are none because they ought to be easy to find.

Don’t want to argue that I checked all possible locations because that's not my point. We're talking about evidence, not proof. Talk about "all", "100%", and "possible" is always talk about proof. Evidence is simply something that contributes to belief. Absence of positive evidence of elephants is a reason to believe there are no elephants, because of the obviousness of elephants. In the absence of reason to believe there are elephants in your living room, I have reason to believe there are no elephants there.

The case for evidence of absence depends upon whether or not evidence of any kind exists. If none exists, then absence of evidence is neither, evidence of absence or of existence.

Finally, an essence from modern time

Ken Ham and Bill Nye debate Science vs. Fiction

Mark Joseph Stern

One is fact, based on empirical scientific evidence; the other is fiction, based on biblically inspired fantasy. Nye is an earnest educator; Ham is an exploitative fabulist. What substantive issue could the two possibly debate?

The answer, unsurprisingly, is absolutely none at all. In fact, the Nye vs. Ham showdown simply illustrated why challenging creationism is so frustratingly futile. Creationists begin with their conclusion—the text of Genesis is the literal history of the world—then work backward to find their justifications. It doesn’t matter if this leads to bizarre, preposterous pseudoscientific theories; logic, for creationists, can always be sacrificed on the altar of blind faith.

And there was a lot of blind faith on display at the Creation Museum on Tuesday night. Ham opened his presentation by whining that those of us who accept evolution are “secularists hijacking the word science” and “imposing the religion of naturalism—atheism—on generations of students.” Evolution, Ham asserts, is “based upon man’s ideas about the past”—but “we weren’t there, and we didn’t observe it.” It’s hubristic, Ham claims, to accept a human-developed theory about the origin of life; the only reliable source of such information is “the biblical account of origins.”

Ham supports this strange and sinister version of creationism with a pet theory of bifurcated biology. According to his opening remarks, science is actually composed of historical science and observational science. The only apparent distinction between the two categories? “We observe things in the present; we’re assuming that that’s always happened in the past.” In case you didn’t get that point, Ham drives it home again: “There is a difference between what you observe and what happened in the past.” And because we can’t “directly observe” evolution in action, we must instead trust God’s word (as interpreted by Ham, of course—the authors of the Bible were surprisingly silent on the subject of dinosaurs).

This isn’t a retort, or a theory, or a philosophy, as Ham repeatedly insists. It’s an inane and baseless fallacy, a conclusion with no reasoning, a judgment with no facts. Yet every time Nye presented a careful explanation of evolutionary processes, Ham responded with the same smug line: “You don’t know that. You weren’t there.

What would your conclusion be? DD

• KateWild
    KateWild

heavensgate,

That is an interesting post for your 3rd post. Well contructed opinion. Are you an active JW with doubts? or do you believe the WT is the "Truth"? I did not grasp your religious position from your post.

Kate xx

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

" The pastor of my local United Church, just as the Watchtower authors do, humbly admits he provides his own/flawed interpretation of the scriptures. Does he have the truth? "
    ..Does he dedicate his life to preach to others? Does he believe the Trinity, Hellfire, Immortal Soul etc? Does he use Gods name, Jehovah? If so, why would he not join His organisation? If he claims to have flawed interpretations, even he has no confidence of Gods guidance.

" Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe 'new things.' How do I know the 'new things' will be the truth in five years?"Awake!1970 Apr 22 p.8 "

..We do not teach new things when it comes to our core beliefs, we are not suddenly going to say 'okay now we are all going to worship Jesus and the Holy spirit'. We only adjust our understanding to a better one, that will not keep changing, when it comes to doctrines that need clarification but are not a vital aspect of worship. Jehovah can allow our lack of understanding in some matters, he is patient and will act in his own due time.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

" At what point in the gradual understanding did the blessing take place?
    Will there be a CORRECT understanding at some point? "
    ..There will be a complete understanding, likely in the new system when all prophecies have been fulfilled. God's blessing is evident when we reach the understanding that is in complete harmony with Scripture, and we all usually agree it is better, whereas the previous understanding was not. The light gets brighter.

" Jesus also told his followers not to exalt themselves, so the fact that the leaders of this religion has done so disqualifies them period! "

..The Faithful Slave do not expect any kind of special treatment, they don't walk around expecting people to roll out the red carpet and kiss their ring etc. They are not called Father, Leader or any such titles.

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

"We do not teach new things when it comes to our core beliefs", DOT, thats the problem of following men instead of the Christ.

Watchtower "core beliefs" is in direct conflict with the christian writings such as:

-an earthly resurection (it contradicts both Jesus statement and Pauls teaching)

-Christians seperated into two groups(earthly, heavenly class) it contradicts Jesus own statement that his followers were to be ONE herd under ONE sheperd, Jesus himself.

-a "Governing Body" operated in the 1´st century, in direct conflict with the apostolic letters. See

https://anointedjw.org/Governing_Body_Myth.html

-only 144,000 literal will ever go/enter the heavenly Kingdom, the very message that Jesus himself introduced to ALL his followers, not just a few.

“So Jesus said to them: ‘Most truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect him on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him.” – John 6:53-56

"Notice that this is not a prophecy. This is a plain and open teaching that is very clear and to the point. Unless we eat and drink of the Christ, we have no life or sharing with him! Yet, the Governing Body actually teaches that one can refuse to eat and drink of the Christ, and still live forever on the earth – as if Jesus does not have authority over the earth! They take great pains to explain their convoluted theories about everlasting life on earth, which is a theory Jesus never taught". (Quote from www.AnointedJW.org/ A memorial of offense.

D.O.T, if you do not start to partake at the memorial you will not gain life. Pure and simple. The "Paradise Earth forever" is a fallacy and a very dangerous one to.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Defender- 1st you said: ..Does he dedicate his life to preach to others? Does he believe the Trinity, Hellfire, Immortal Soul etc? Does he use Gods name, Jehovah? If so, why would he not join His organisation? If he claims to have flawed interpretations, even he has no confidence of Gods guidance.

not every first century christian dedicated their life to preaching. Look up james 3:1

Jehivah is an invented name by a monk that combined adonai with YHWH. Whens the last time youncalled your father by his first name? Mine thiught it very rude to do so. Also Jesus did not, in the very important model prayer, encourage hisnfollowers to use "Jehovah", but "Father". Next you erroneously try to equate anfleshly earthly org with Gods acceptance. God nor the Bible EVER says loyalty to a man-made corporation is vital to salvation.

youre in a cult mate. Wake up! Its not freedom, its fear.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If there were a god, and he had an organization, I am still not sure I would join it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The Faithful Slave do not expect any kind of special treatment-defender of truth

Oh yes they do IMO. They are having knew homes built just for them. It will be lovely luxury living compared to the average JW and individual worldwide. They get special treatment each time they give a talk. If you think they are humble and don't want special treatment, why not ring Bethel and ask to speak to Anthony Morris or Steven Lett?

They think and act like they are special and the normal JW cannot speak to them.

But that is my opinion I am afraid if you disagree that's ok with me.

Kate xx

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

DOT SAID

Brainfloss: I have no idea what you mean to accomplish with that list. All of those things are unchristian practices, anyone practicing them unrepentantly is not serving Jehovah in a way acceptable to him. Therefore he has no place among Gods people.

You have not responded is that a teaching from the bible? please show me the scriptural basis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit