How do JWs Not see how barbaric YHWH is? Its what started my awakening.

by BU2B 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

And yet, these gems of truth were also available in other and earlier religious traditions.

• Badfish
    Badfish

Treat others as you would be treated " is the first gem, and most powerful IMO.

" Love your neighbor as yourself " is the second.

And yet he placed this as the second greatest commandment.

Consider your statement:

Christians might claim they worship Jesus, not Yahweh. Perhaps they do, but why do they worship someone who clearly did not seek the peoples worship, nor wanted to be anyones leader? It is clear Jesus wanted one thing: not worship, but for the people to emulate his behavior, to be LIKE him, not to think him a god and beg him for free stuff. That's the OLD way, which he came to uproot. He called us his friends and siblings, NOT his minions and serfs.

His actual greatest commandment was:

"You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind."

If YHWH was really a devil pretending to be God, why didn't Jesus just come out and say "Yahweh was a false God. Instead, you must love Yaldabaoth with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind"?

• bobld
    bobld

The Watchtower condemns and chastises anyone who watches a violent movie or kids watching Wile E.Coyote/roadrunner cartoons.Than they demand that parents read the bible to their children every day and to meditate on every word.Can you imagine having a six year one kid constantly thinking everyday about rape,murder,war,babies being killed or his favorite cat/dag being killed.And this past few weeks about men(fathers to a 6 yr old) having so many mommies.

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Treat others as you would be treated"

There is something wrong with the above pearl of wisdom. You see, not everyone wants to be treated the same. But the advice actually encourages one to impose or project his own desires and aspirations upon others. Let me give you an extreme example to illustrate my point:

Let's say I'm a lover of hot pepper. I would love for others to douse my food with hot pepper! Therefore I will treat others the way I want them to treat me - I will douse other people's food with hot pepper!

Granted, this is an extreme, smart alec example since its very apparent that a large percentage of people would not like having their food doused with hot pepper. But what about our other preferences that may be less readily apparent to be disliked by others? We should not be using our own likes and preferences to guage how others should be treated. We should show interest in finding out what others like and treat them the way they would want to be treated.

So it is wiser to say "Treat others as they would like to be treated" rather than "treat others as you would be treated". And wiser still: "treat others in the way that is in their best interest"

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Cofty wrote Paranoia Agent - I have no idea what you just said.

You made an offensive personal attack on somebody who was sincerely trying to explain the OT. I objected - you waffled about Hitler.

If you can't reason on what somebody has said don't resort to ad hominem

Or maybe you are not good with metaphors, and I did resort to ad hominems and will continue to do so. If you have any reservations as to you why I shouldn't treat homophobics who expects me to be in an eternal hellfire after death, please let me know.

• ed60
    ed60

#Island Man

Except who are we to judge what is in another's best interest? It's a value judgement after all.

Granted, it's difficult to define in an axiom. I find it more useful to see it as getting the balance between my own liberation (self worth) and connection (my place in the wider world) in harmony. There is a sense of it in love your neighbour as yourself, or as I prefer, learn compassion for yourself and you'll be able to show it towards your neighbour. The translation 'love' might not be accurate enough to do the original words justice.

I believe the psychologist with that long funny name I can't pronounce beginning with C calls it 'flow'. Others harmony, balance, enlightenment or peace.... the list grows.

• cofty
    cofty

If you have any reservations as to you why I shouldn't treat homophobics who expects me to be in an eternal hellfire after death, please let me know. - PA

When exactly did nonjwspouse express homophobic sentiments?

• designs
    designs

Ding! Round 8

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

cofty: It's implied.

• cofty
    cofty

Stop being obtuse. Nowhere did nonjwspouse even imply homophobia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit