What does everyone here DO anyway?

by In_between_days 89 Replies latest jw friends

• arachnia
    arachnia

I work in IT - specificially, doing user/network support, some light project management, web design. Also, hubby and I run an online goth/industrial music community, I write for the site and cover events, etc. ( http://www.murknet.com)

Pursuing an undergrad in Anthropology/Social Sciences, after which I will probably work on an MLS/IS for my graduate work in order to eventually become a librarian/information scientist.

Really interesting mix of careers and interests in this thread. :)

Cheers,
    ~arachnia

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."
    -Kahlil Gibran

• Scully
    Scully

I studied Medical Lab Technology for 2 years after high school, but quit when the hEllders (via my parents) started putting the pressure on about a year before I would have graduated. I did office work for a few years after that, and then took time off to be at home with my firstborn. When he started school, I worked in retail, and by the time we had our third, I was at home with them full-time for a couple of years.

My health wasn't great at the time, and we were going through the intense separation anxiety and guilt, mixed with the occasional bout of shunning, that occurs while exiting the bOrg. When our youngest was 2 years old, I started Nursing School. Graduated with honours and a 3.98 GPA in May, 1998.

I've been working as a Registered Nurse in Maternal-Newborn Care ever since. I love it, even though I work twelve-hour night shifts. I can still be at home with the kids when they come home from school too. It seems like I have the best of both worlds.

I have to say that if it wasn't for the way our so-called JW friends treated us with such contempt and hatred, I seriously doubt I'd be where I am today. In fact, were it not for that, I'd probably still be a JW. I owe them a debt of gratitude for my present life and happiness.

Love, Scully

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I work in my family's business. My wife's parents own a Specialty Retail store where our featured products are fireplaces, stoves and hearth accessories of all types. I am a technician and install and troubleshoot stove and fireplace installations when I am not doing my regular job of marketing and selling these products to people in our community who want to be independant of the utilities when heating their homes, or just want a nice fireplace to enjoy.

We are a small business so I wear many hats, along with everyone else. My background is in construction but I also dabble in business administration and computer business applications. If I had not been distracted by JW'dom I would have pursued a career in music and am still considering it. For now, I am just trying to pay the bills and help keep the business afloat.

When I find the energy I work on setting up my web sites, which will be used to promote my fireplace business and my father's business which is centered around his invention in the field of personal power production. I hope to someday merge these two concerns under one umbrella as they are both considered alternative energy pursuits. All I need is time. Anyone have any to spare?

Sean

• waiting
    waiting

My husband & I own a business for about 30 yrs now (we were in same type of business before marrying). I wouldn't have chosen it for myself......but then, that's life.

I also do the accounting, which I've been doing for even longer - so it's really not boring, just long hours.

My primary job is auto window tinting, for about 4 years now. I actually have a good reputation (for tinting) around town.

For people coming into summer - window tint with aluminum actually DOES work - cuts 50% of the heat coming through windows.

waiting

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I work in a lawfirm. I handle all mortgage loan closings, as well as litigation and real estate.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I sit on my ass all day or go out looking for a job.

Normally: Visual Basic, ASP Web Developer.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• bsmart
    bsmart

BTT

Retired nurse

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

WHOOO what an old thread...I am a truck driver...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I work in the real estate industry...

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Well - here goes.

As soon as I left the org in my early 20s, I started up college again. By the time my sophmore year rolled around, I got into this little side job because the university I went to decided to raise tuition. A classmate of mine, Brenda, in an effort to raise money and stay in school came up with a nifty plan where she thought she'd date guys and charge them money. She approached me cause she was going on lots of dates with lots of boys all the time. She said she needed someone to help her out, with all the logistics. I told her I could help with scheduling and providing transportation services, and such. She agreed. She said she also needed my help to make sure the dates went ok and the guys paid her. She said she'd give me a percentage.

So there I was, my sophmore year, doing this little side gig, just trying to help a friend. We started making a lot of money, and wouldn't you know it, some of Brenda's girlfriends decided they wanted to be a part of it. Pretty soon there were about 14 ladies that I was protecting while they gave me money. I decided I shouldn't use my real name, so we came up with the name Gator. One day I wake up and I don't like what I see. I had gotten out of control. I could see a real darkness in me since I left the org. I had gotten so out of control that I didn't even realize it.

One night two of my favorite girls, Candy and Joline, said 'we gotta take you in'. They dropped me off at the emergency room. I realized then and there, without the org, the darkness takes over me. No matter how much I try to hold it in, it's there, wanting to come out, to walk around. It wants some walking around money. It wants to buy some shoes and it wants to walk up to the people and say 'Hey. Gator don't play no s#%t. He ain't never been about that. you hear me?!' But I finally left that part of my life behind. However, it really is who I am - despite my day job. So be forwarned everyone, The watchtower is right. If you leave the org, you could end up like me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMUsStYvTaI&feature=related

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit