Just sent letter to my parents that I no longer want to be a JW

by ?evrything 52 Replies latest jw friends

• whathappened
    whathappened

Best of luck to you. It isn't going to be easy, but it has got to be done. They deserve to know the truth and you deserve to be heard.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

LostGeneration thanks for that info. I think I will try to push off on it. And your right they will only try to soul save me and put a blinder on for everything else. Ill be sure to send my rules of engagement if they do still want to talk face to face.

• Mandette
    Mandette

WOW! ?evrything, you're brave. The best I could do is when my dad asked me if I believed it was the "truth" is to say no. He left it alone. I'm sure it was to keep our relationship intact. I wish the best to you. I do hope that parental love wins out over the cult mentality!

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Thanks Mandette. Your right I hope they are smart enough also to realize that since the cult mentality has such a strong hold. I plan on stating nothing but facts and hopefully it plants a seed.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Good luck...

For what it is worth, because I know others are trying to determine just how they will cut the ties...your way will probably work the best.

For myself, however, I have decided that when I do decide to sever the JW connection, it will be face to face. It will be at that time that I decide who wishes to be part of my life and who will go down with the sinking ship. After that, any individual who chooses to rekindle a relationship with me will have to make the effort. Life is now too short to spend it on dysfunctional people.

SOP

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" could you tell from the letter how many sad sleepness nights I had"?

Good for you!! Don't let them project guilt on you. They are ignorant of TTATT, so keep that in mind. Well, I am sure that you are doing that. At the same time you cannot allow the WTBTS to paint YOU as the criminal. YOU are not the one lying and deceiving and using revisionist history and emotional blackmail and manipulation. I would really make it clear that you cannot stand the legalism and virtual worship of the GB and the Organization. People can argue doctrine all day long and get nowhere, but those things cannot be denied. If you plant that thought now, then maybe as time passes your parents will see that you are right. They may never see it unlesss you point them in the right direction.

Peace,

DD

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well done.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

You know, why delay the meeting with them if you are embracing a rip off the banaid approach?

Do your research. Have scriptures and quotes from literature. The JWfacts "irony quote" on page one is always great. Point out inconsistancies with blood. Use the bible.

You already know what they are going to say....

1) Who else shall we go away to?

2) Who else is declaring Gods name? Just look at the growth. People are streaming into the mountain of Jah!

3) Sure its not perfect, but we have to wait on Jehovah. If its not them....who is it?

You can DEFINITLY prepare something in dept knowing these are the points that will come up right?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is good they want to see you sooner rather than later, as you will be stressed until. The conversation is done. I'd recommend reading the article on Helping Someone Leave on jwfacts.com, so that you are prepared to put the conversation back on them. The onus of proof is the person making to outlandish claim that they alone have truth. Then you can briefly explain how each point they make is inaccurate or a logical fallacy. There is also an article on Logical Fallacies on jwfacts that briefly explains why many of the pointa they will raise are based on poor reasoning.

It is unlikely you can change their point of view, but it is liberating to be able to show you have made an intelectual choice and it is them and not you that needs to explain themselves.

They may be coming to tell you they will hand your letter to the elders if you do not recant, and they will then shun you, so be prepared for how to react To that.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

problemaddict very true. Since i am going all out no need to sugar coat or wait as that will make me seem like im still fading. Thanks for the advice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit