Just sent letter to my parents that I no longer want to be a JW

by ?evrything 52 Replies latest jw friends

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Thank you very much Ding and Promlemaddict

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Find jwmediafiles on YouTube, some really good vidoes to help u with your argument. Pick one subject and stay on it. Another good one is there belief that jesus was made king in 1914 . You can go to Matt. Chapter 26 or 28 and show that he said all power was given to him. They will argue that be had to wait at the right side of god but then go to 1 Corinthians chapter 15 and it shows he king all the while his father is putting his enemies at his feet.

With out 1914 they have nothing, u can finish by showing luke 21:8 and remember messiah or Christ means the same thing anointed. So jws fufill this scripture to a tee.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have no proven wisdom, but I just encourage you to remember that they are your family and you do love them. You don't need to poke at things that will enrage them particularly.

You dropped the bomb, so you owe them a discussion, clearly. I just hope you will be gentle.

Congratulations on making the break. Do your best to keep it clean and loving and remember that your parents made you, they love you and they think they know what is best (though they don't in this caase). Thank the for the good things your upbringing gave you. but let the know that as a adult, that just doesn't cut it.

All my best to you and your family as you struggle through this.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

my parents drove two states over to see me. in fact, they didn't even tell me they were coming till they were just outside my city. i can tell you...all the stuff i had built up in my mind, such as what i was going to say to them etc...didn't work out that way at all. one of the things they said to me was that "i am cutting them off now". that was a huge guilt trip. i told them "from a family stand point that was a horrible and hurtful thing to say and it feels un-natural to me, but regardless of how you guys choose to treat me, my door is always open to you because i choose to love you unconditionally." after that (which there is more to the story), they didn't talk to me that much at first...but after time went by and they realized it only boiled down to what thier friends think...they came around...i was just a faded memory to the org after 6 months. my parents still try to preach to me some...but i just say no. i respect thier choice in beliefs (and thats all it is)...but its just not for me. don't become thier enemy or make them label you something. remember...they are going to feel that they did something wrong that made you turn away regardless of what you tell them, they will feel like a failure in "Jehovah's" eyes. attacking thier beliefs makes them feel like your attacking them.

all that being said...everybody will give you tons of advice...but everyone's circumstances are different. nobody knows your parents like you do, so only you can know what they are capable of. i don't want to seem like a hypocrite being that i have never shared my full story on here...and still don't know if i will; but please keep us posted.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

IamwhoIam, great advise, I try to always think about Jesus and the love he was all about. If we aproach it that way and at time show that he didnt do it the way the Org does it then maybe this will work. I mentioned a couple things like this to my family when i told my kids that I'm DAing myself. Matthew chapter 5 at the end is a good one about shunning some one and also the verses were he talked about even loving your enemy which is in the earlier part of the chapter if I'm not mistaking. i think trying to keep the lines of comunication open is key in a relationship and asking your parents if it comes to that "why the ORG feels they need to tell you to shun me when christ clearly says otherwise"? Maybe this will open up some thinking on their part. I told my oldest kid that they didnt start shunning DA'd JW's until after 1980 to shut up a former governing body member. This maybe will help her think. This is all one can do, try to protect your relationships.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

They are on their way.. 20 mins out.

WISH ME LUCK

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Good-luck ?evrything, How did you meeting with your parents go?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Ok finally over. 4 hrs. BUT long story short they are convinced that they are in a true religion and that they will somewhat shun me in the sense that we wont be chatting it up for long convos but would be there for me if I was sick or somethin. Gave them hugs and told them I loved them and they told me the same then left. Remarkably my mom held it together and was rather calm. So it went down way better then expected but still SAD none the less. That might have been the last time I ever have a sit down with my folks like that again. Or it might not. But its FINALLY over. sigh

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Wonder what you said because if you bought up some good pionts then they should not be so willing to just shun you. Did you mention on the JW.org site under faq they say they do not shun former JW's. Tell your parents that their proving that the jw religion is a lier.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ?evrything, Four hours is a long-time for a JW to spend with a WTBTS dissenter. If they asked you questions and did not get upset, they may do more research in a couple of weeks to prove you wrong and want to meet with you again.

Best of wishes helping your parents to critically think for themselves.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit