Just out of curiosity, how many elders (current & ex) do we have here?

by mrquik 186 Replies latest jw friends

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

MS for 4 years. Then was an elder for 6 years. I declined an elder appointment next time around. Waited a couple of years and foolishly accepted to serve as a MS again. I discovered within the first six months of going to all the elder’s meetings after many mid-week meetings that lasted till 10 pm, that the subjects we discussed were mostly lame and petty.

I was embarrassed and naive to have imagined all through the years that the elders in the congregation library were making all these world renowned decisions. They would all emerge at times looking like they had just split the atom or solved life’s greatest mystery. The truth is I soon learned from experience most of what we discussed was not vital, earth shattering or very intellectual. I felt awkward being there.

I did not feel that God’s spirit guided any decisions. Just a bunch of guys, some very genuine and sincere, believing they were making a difference.

But most were backstabbing, power hungry men that day-to-day had no position of authority in the community or at work. At work they were often puny men doing menial jobs that provided little personal satisfaction or reward. But once they walked into that KH they were somebody special carrying their little folders and secret silly WT letters. At the KH they were looked up to, they had a title and authority.

The politics, hypocrisy and hidden agendas clearly showed me that this was a big sham. It reminds me now of the show “Survivor.” I quickly learned you have to make “Alliances” with other players or you’re toast.

Most directives & decisions made, were already established before the meeting even began by alliances made by “one tribe” against another “tribe” or “individual.” The meeting often was a mere formality.

Today I’m convinced that the Governing Body meetings are absolutely the same. They are simply glorified “elders meetings” with no more insight or special gifts being brought to the table. The GB fumble, blunder & trip along the way like the rest of the imperfect elders worldwide.

Only they have the absolute say & power in everything. Unfortunately millions of people look at them all star struck. They forget the horrible track record these GB men (simply imperfect elders) have in the WT history!!

• Decided
    Decided

I was a MS for years when I was a teenager. Became an elder in my twenties and moved away to DC in my 30s. Never became a servant again. Moved back home in less than a year when my wife of 16 years left me. I didn't know why at the time, but later she told a relative that it was because she was feed up with the JW control of our lives.

When I got back home in NC I faded away and married a worldy woman with two kids and have been happy ever since 1974 when I got married.

When I first got married the second time I took her to the KH, but she was too smart to fall for the "truth". I went back to a few meetings but did it to please my mother who was a special pioneer. I later quit going at all. I actually learned the truth about the JWs on the internet.

Ken P.

• flipper
    flipper

Wow, if my calculations and count is right this thread already consists of 37 or 38 elders or ex-elders on this board. Really cool. Come on out ex-elders and speak here , lets see if we can get this count up to 100 by the end of Saturday night !! Not a challenge- just an idea so people can see how you folks have bolted to freedom of mind even knowing all you did about the inner workings of the WT Society- information that was kept from your fellow rank & file Jehovah's Witnesses.

As per myself I just served as a MS for 6 years and regular pioneer for 3 years. But I throw the idea out there, let's get this count up to 100 ! As the Moody Blues once said in a song, " I Know You're Out There Somewhere "

• UN informed
    UN informed

I was appointed in 1969 as an elder equivalent (Bible Study Servant) a member of the congregation committee. I was 24 at the time, just two years out of prison for neutrality during the Vietnam War. in 1972, the year that the elder Arrangement went into effect I was appointed officially as an elder. Although I moved from Missouri to Texas a couple of times and in several congregations, Aurora, Mo., Austin, Tx., Luling, Texas, Gladewater, Texas, Republic, Mo..I continued as an elder and re-appointed many times.

i resigned in 2000, out of total disgust over the way elders treated each other and the flock, as well as a real disappointment over the changing doctrines, neutrality and the 1997 disconnect of 1914 by beginning to play with the generation teaching.

then, I totally quit in 2005 after many letters to the WT re: the UN hypocrisy.

so, I was an elder for 30 years. Then I quit. Never have I been more at peace and contentment that I made the right decision when I quit.

Brant Jones

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

An X. Did the best I could and did have a positive impact on some peoples lives. Tried to stand between the Pharisees and the flock.

• mrquik
    mrquik

We were the best they had. Intelligent, truly caring with a burning desire for the truth. Having to make that decision to side with the truth knowing full well the cost. Or having to supress the truth while a stranger in a strange land. My hat's off to each & every one of you. Live Well.....Enjoy Life.

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Perhaps some of you might reconsider your current stance and reach out to serve again. We need brothers.

• DJS
    DJS

Yeah, me too. When I was appointed an elder is when the wheels started coming off. Getting closer to the core of the apple revealed the rottenness of the apple.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

SFPW: Perhaps some of you might reconsider your current stance and reach out to serve again. We need brothers.

The truth, the real truth, not the WT's twisted version of it, is more now important to me than it ever was.

I am currently serving as an example of someone that stands for what is real, as opposed to before when I stood for an illusion, an illusion that required unquestioning obedience to hypocrisy and lies.

The WT leadership has become nothing more than a reboot of the Pharisees of old. Jesus, if he were really somehow "alive and watching" would be ashamed of them.

• jam
    jam

Elder 10 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit