I think my faith might be returning. Feeling very confused.

by jambon1 95 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I've found it hard to separate myself from my belief that there is a creator. This was one of the main things that made me grasp life as a JW.

Don't confuse a belief in a creator with a need for religion, particularly a need for an organisation.

There is nothing wrong with reading the Bible. If you read it again freed from indoctrination, you will see it as an interesting insight into the progression of culture, from the Barbaric evil promoted in the Old Testament, to more enlightened ways in the New Testament, based on the progression of thought due to Alexander and the Greek empire.

I have read a lot of "holy books." The Perennial Philosophy by Huxley is good, as it summaries the main theme of all religion, and particularly the mystical thinking in them. However, eventually I got sick of reading men's opinions on spirituality, as that is all it is, and it all starts to sound very similar.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It's sorta cool to explore different ideas, and maybe religions- especially for a born-in JW- to see if there is a basis for Christianity (or Buddhism, if you want!) and I've gone to churches a couple of times, and explored the origins of the Bible; but now I'm happy to throw it all away and just live life. It's just much simpler to just accept that there probably is no god; or if there is it makes no difference to anything. But it is a journey, and there is no harm in looking- except there are "no answers- only choices." LOL, I love that quote.
    Good luck, LOL.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here is an awesome book that restored my wonder and curiosity. Here 's another.

I find so much more reward in pursuing topics like these than I would ever between the covers of a holy book.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the problem I have with a personlised creator god is that of subordination. I couldn't ever stomach a relationship that requires me to check everything with him and to listen out for him. To me this is like going from the frying pan into the fire. Jambon if you have gone past this need think carefully before you return to it.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Dig deeper. Just as JW's have a history, christianity and the Bible have a history too. Learn those histories. They may help you clear the confusion. I am learning the historical aspect of the Bible and christianity and is doing a lot of good for me. Helps me understand the world and humans much better, and that brings me satisfaction at the same time it reduces confusion or conflict.

• steve2
    steve2

May your need to never be fooled again by comforting stories be stronger than your need to be comforted by the next nice belief system that rolls around.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Morning

Well, don't I feel spiritually bipolar. :D

Today I don't feel the same as yesterday. This has been the story of the last year or so, to be fair.

Yesterday I opened the KJV and came across the account of King Davids baby. It's mind bending and took me right back to the feelings I had as an awkward, faithless JW. The reality being that despite getting this strong urge from time to time (which I never had for years after leaving the org) I just find the bible accounts to difficult to grasp. It's one thing reading the NT and enjoying it, appreciating some of its moral direction. But it's quite the other to love and worship the god it claims to represent.

Some of the comments on this thread are interesting. I don't see the need, however, for people to be so dismissive & semi abusive about those with faith. We're all at different stages of our journey. I've had feelings in the last while that I never thought I'd have just a few years ago. Such is life. Some people are in danger of adopting attitudes which are alarmingly similar to those in the JW religion from which we've all escaped.

In spite of believing in a creator or certainly a god of some kind, I don't think I can wholeheartedly pursue faith at the moment. It really does open you up to a lot of mental gymnastics that I can't really be bothered working out.

Thanks for for all your input.

Peace.

J.

• happy@last
    happy@last

jgnet: "Reading the Bible Again For the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally by Marcus J. Borg"

This is a great recommendation, it's a book that can be read in a very short period of time but make a lot of sense

• Fernando
    Fernando

"I've got a burning desire to read the bible again and when I do it sort of makes sense to me. But I could never be partof a religion again. Is there anyone else like this?"

Yes, I now enjoy a vibrant faith and spirituality quite apart from religion, and despite my religious past (3rd gen born-in, member for more than 4 decades).

I now identify as SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious).

"It just feels like I'm being drawn to a spiritual outlook."

Exactly the same here, especially at the start of the journey, and at some distinct points prior.

What helped our family a great deal was focussing on the explicit and unabridged gospel message, starting in the book of Romans, on the topics of "imputed righteousness" (justification), "imputed holiness" (sanctification), "free gift", "faith vs works" and "law vs grace".

Glad to help further where possible.

Greetings

Fernando

PS - this video may be of some help: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLzYw6ULYw (Good-o-meter)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good morning. Thanks for your honesty about your slightly different feelings today.

There seems to be a genre of materials for just about every place we may be. You should probably feed your thirst for information and thoughts somehow. Go where you want, but I highly recommend books by Carl Sagan, Sam Harris, Pema Chödrön. If you haven't read them, consider starting with Ray Franz' books, and to help a spiritual person avoid the pitfalls of cults; Steve Hassan's book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit