I think my faith might be returning. Feeling very confused.

by jambon1 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Don't put words in my mouth, please: I never said that believers ARE ignorant, so you're simply creating a volatile (straw-man) claim as if it's some sort of a defense.

I've always said believers feel the need to defend faith based primarily on emotional reasons, not rational ones, since those who are more intelligent show a much greater capability for creating tons of post-hoc rationalizations, inventing all kinds of excuses for WHY their beliefs are not irrational (which is not a synonym for ignorant, BTW, if you even care about such important semantic differences).

The only time intelligence comes into play is when someone possibly allow their emotional blinders to remain on, lead to a willful ignorance and conscious denial of the facts.

Adam

I wish you wouldn't give emotion such bad press. There is such a thing as emotional intelligence you know. And i don't think believers are defending faith based primarliy on emotional reasons as I think cultural beliefs (including religious beliefs) are based primarily on the mental shortcuts we and the group we belong to habitually take. A kind of confiramtion bias in how we and our group judges things. To overcome this we need to, every now and then, challenge how we recognise things. Okay yes emotion does play a part but i don't think this is as significant as habitual thinking. Another thing that influences our judgments is whatever we remember vividly when we call on our thinking abilities and rather than look for what may be tucked away in obscurity and which would probably be more enlightening we allow vividness to short circuit us. Again recalling something vividly is not emotion talking although there may be an element of emotion in it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*fruit

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

Thanks for the reply. Your opening post on the thread you linked to ended with this statement: "The topic is the logical and moral implications of theistic evolution, your comments pro and con are welcome. Please play nice."

Playing nice, is good.

I have tweaked your sentence for this post's topic: The topic is the logical and moral implications of evolution.

Reality is good. Let's talk evolutionary reality.

Belief in deities and the religions that resulted from such beliefs are ingrained in mankind. As you know when archeologists excavate an ancient village or burial place the evidence of religious belief is usually quite evident. From vessels used in religious ceremony, to inscribed stones, to small images, to altars, to items placed with the dead; it is a fact that ancient peoples believed in a god or gods and did what they felt was good or necessary in their attempt to please him (them), or to engage with him, or to plead with him. This is a fact.

Now, how did this happen? How is it that on every continent inhabited by man the evidence of religion, the need to worship or please a deity, has from the ancient past existed, but more than just existing, it was an integral part of their culture figuring into many aspects of their lives from birth to death? If evolution has determined who and what we are then it must also be that evolution has caused the need to worship a deity.

Hope and religious belief are for many inextricably intertwined. People hope, they hope that while this life may or may not be good there is hope for a better life after death. This hope helps to mollify their emotional distresses, those stresses which are inherent in a species intelligent enough to recognize Time and Space and the futility of a very limited life. An empty stomach needs food or it fails to sustain us. Evolution provided the stomach and the food to fill it. Is it any wonder then that having provided man with the intelligence to recognize his end and the futility of a limited life that evolution has also, through natural selection, provided him with a mechanism that relieves the stress coming from such knowledge? Like a boiling tea kettle whose whistle releases the pressure building up within it so also religion, the hope for a life after death, releases the pressures which build up in the intelligent mind able to recognize his end and his futility.

If atheists claim that God must be held responsible for the evil on earth because he, according to Christians, is the mechanism by which all men came into existence thereby making God responsible for the evil men do. Then it is reasonable also for Christians to claim that evolution must be held responsible for the deities, because according to atheists evolution is the mechanism by which all men came into existence making evolution responsible for the human need to worship a deity.

Just the other side of the coin.

Pelican

• cofty
    cofty

Pelican are you asking about the evolutionary basis for belief in a deity and in the supernatural?

Michael Shermer, Daniel Dennett and Susan Blackmore are probably the best sources for interesting iisights on this.

By the way I would never argue that god is responsible for the evil men do. It is valid to ask why he tolerates evil, and he certainly has to answer for natural evil.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jesus said his kingdom is no part of this world, so yes don't go back to a religion. As for the bible read but read it with a more holistic aproach. The bible has oral traditions in it, Paul quotes from syrac a non cannonized book, the flood was most likley a local flood not a global one. The fundamentalist view is a black and white view of the bible and is very child like. Read study use different bibles check the Greek the Septuagint and dig, it will open your eyes and maybe biuld your faith.

• adamah
    adamah

3rd Gen said-

Adamah said "as a Xian aren't you and the rest of the believers supposed to be displaying the "FRUTAGES of the spirit"? (capitalization mine) I am relatively new in my exit and my beliefs are still evolving as I gradually learn and grow, but I do know that the word frutage is PLURAL for fruit.There is no such word as frutages. That is like saying fruitses. Love, joy, peace, etc. are the "frutage of the spirit" OR the fruits of the spirit. Sorry for going off topic but for a person as prone to flaunt his higher education and thinking ability I would simply point out a gramatical error that was a pet peeve of mine when I heard it at the KH.

Better inform the dictionary editors, since 'fruitages' IS the plural of 'fruitage' (and you're unintentionally correct, since there is no word 'frutages': the actual spelling is "fruitages" (note the 'i'). Always good to check your own spelling BEFORE calling others out on their grammar, in keeping with Jesus' words of pointing out splinters in the eyes of others, when a rafter is in one's own eye).

'Fruitage' is a derivative of 'fruit', which plays a dual role in English as both an 'uncountable noun' AND a 'countable noun'.

The word 'blood' is an example of a word which serves both roles in English, too, unlike in ancient Hebrew, where the singular ('dam') and plural ('damim') forms convey quite-different meanings (even beyond just the plural sense of indicating 'more than one'). The transliteration 'bloods' doesn't exist in English, but not recognizing the distinction between the singular and plural forms in Hebrew played a critical role in the development of the flawed JW blood policy, when NWT translators missed the important distinction that 'countable nouns' play in English, leading to their mistranslation in Genesis 9).

But back to fruit: the plural forms ('fruits', and also derivative words, like 'fruitages') are used to indicate different types of fruit; in the analogy used in Galatians, the plural may be used to indicate actions that result from manifestations of Holy Spirit that are performed by the same individual over time, or the varied manifestations displayed by different members of a group over time. Since my comment was directed to individuals in this thread, that was my point. So although not as common a usage as 'fruitage' (unless you're an ex-JW, where 'fruitages' was commonly heard in the KH, as you pointed out), 'fruitages' IS perfectly-acceptable usage depending on it's application.

But don't take my word for it: here's dictionary.com, which lists 'fruitages' as a synonym of 'fruitage', so unlike the difference in Hebrew between 'blood' and 'bloods', your objection seems to be a 'distinction without a difference':

http://m.dictionary.com/synonym/fruitages?linkid=jluc57&srcpage=definition&site=dictwap

Lisa Rose said- Yes, he is giving Athiesm a bad name.

Off the top of your head, can you name ONE atheist whom you think gives atheists a GOOD name? Hitchens? Dawkins? Dillahunty?

Per most theists, the name 'atheist' itself is a dirty word, where the only "good atheist" is a dead one (or at least, one who keeps their mouth shut and doesn't spread their blasphemous talk to others).

Not that it matters: usually the objections of theists condense down to simple 'tone trolling', a tacit admission that the atheist cannot be defeated by reason in a moderated debate, so the theist can only protest by criticizing their 'style' (which is a form of ad hominem; it's not attacking their argument, but their methods). Tone trolling relies on the 'style over substance' fallacy, one that many believers are prone to not even realize IS a fallacy (although it is referred to in the Bible many times, where even the stones are said to cry out if needed, out of the mouths of babes, etc).

Of course, many believers absolutely HATE when the same standard they apply to atheists is applied to them, since they often feel entitled to assume a privileged position in asymmetric conflict, expecting to spout THEIR beliefs with total immunity but then play the role of the victim of a "mean bully", or balk when an atheist dares request evidence to back up the theist's assertions.

Lisa Rose said- If a Christian told him what him what he ought to believe as an Athiest, he wouldn't stand for it.

Actually, my threshold for acceptance of theism is even LOWER than yours for atheism: I only demand compelling evidence to adopt a belief in anything (eg I believe in radio waves, since I can perceive evidence for their existence). Usually when I ask the question of a theist of what evidence I could POSSIBLY present to convince them that God doesn't exist, the more honest ones will admit that there's NO CONCEIVABLE EVIDENCE that could possibly make them change their minds, due to their strong avowed faith, which makes their beliefs immune from ANY challenge. And THAT'S the asymmetrical position we are in: they approach discussions with a closed-mind, dead-set in their beliefs, and the approach of skepticism requires just the opposite, of being willing to examine any new evidence as it's presented.

From here though, 'faith' seems actually to be just a polite way of describing 'dogma', since there's no difference I can see.

Lisa Rose said- But he tells Christians what they should believe, based on his superior knowledge, and throwing in the views of well known Christian scholars, as if that give his arguments added authority.

Well, yeah, no kidding: that's why I did it. It's called an "appeal to authority", and it's a perfectly-valid rhetorical approach to cite authorities to back one's claims. The next question becomes whether the cited authorities reflects the consensus opinion in their field of expertise, since as the article above points out, most lay people can't study the many available scholarly resources that contain vital clues that lead to the truth, and most people generally must rely on others who are more knowledgable in certain areas (like doctors, auto mechanics, etc).

Speaking of grammar, you know what gives theists a bad name? Repeatedly mispelling the very word that describes one's belief system (theism, a belief in Gods). It's actually spelled 'theist', and hence the proper spelling of a non-believer is 'atheist'.

Lisa Rose said- Adamah, you are a bully.

You value your own emotions and desires over reality and what IS known to be true. If you feel you're being beaten up by the truth, then you've got to ask yourself if your beliefs need to be better-aligned with the truth, or if you want to holdfast to those beliefs but strengthen your faith. The choice is yours....

Ruby456 said-

I wish you wouldn't give emotion such bad press. There is such a thing as emotional intelligence you know. And i don't think believers are defending faith based primarliy on emotional reasons as I think cultural beliefs (including religious beliefs) are based primarily on the mental shortcuts we and the group we belong to habitually take. A kind of confiramtion bias in how we and our group judge things. To overcome this we need to, every now and then, challenge how we recognise things. Okay yes emotion does play a part but i don't think this is as significant as habitual thinking.

You seem to be asserting that habitual thinking doesn't result from emotional factors (such as resistance to change, AKA dogmatism)?

Anyway, I recommend reading books on the topic of E IQ, a topic of interest since the concept emerged in the 1980's.

Of course, emotional intelligence is NOT defined as allowing one's emotions to run willy-nilly, or to serve as an excuse for allowing emotions to 'rule the roost' and overtake decision-making processes. In fact, such vulnerability to emotional manipulation is commonly-found in ex-JWs, simply because the JWs (and other religions) are magnets for such personality types, manipulating people based on their emotional vulnerabilities to get them to join in the first place! That's how cult "love bombing" operates.

The believers here are giving emotions far-worse press than atheists ever could, since whether they recognize it or not, they're exposing their own weakness. As ex-JWs, we all should know Xian theology well enough to know that if a person has strong faith as a believer, they shouldn't feel the need to defend their beliefs from challenges, in the first place! Instead, faith itself SHOULD be enough.

Adam

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Adamah, you are barking up the wrong tree, I am not a believer, I am just sick of you and your long winded, self important blather, you are an intellectual bully. I like Hitchens and Dawkins, I don't like your posts.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

adamah, I don't agree that dogmatism and resistance to change stem from emotional factors although I agree that they may play a small part. Are you familiar with the fascinating term availability heuristic?

• cofty
    cofty

availability heuristic

Thank you Ruby - I learned something interesting today and its only 9am

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Why do you need 'religion' to be 'spiritual'? What does it mean ultimately to be 'spiritual'?

Being a truly spiritual person means to manifest the 'fruitages of the spirit': love, goodness, kindness, mildness, etc. It is perfecting those qualities in yourself to the betterment of those around you that fulfills your spiritual hunger. That's all the religion anyone needs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit