I think my faith might be returning. Feeling very confused.

by jambon1 95 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

well great Cofty, you have just said anyone who does not see things your way is stupid. Why must people who no longer believe in a Creator try & remove hope from those who want it? What is the point? - violia

Where did I say that?

I said that the place to begin is with reality; with the things that can be known for a certainty.

The bible is not the work of a deity - this is beyond sensible dispute. If somebody can still find joy in reading it regardless then fine, but first they should fully expose themself to the evidence of its human origins, its historical flaws, contradictions and pseudography.

The biblical narrative about creation and a fall from perfection is impossible. We evolved from non-human ancestors. Many believers can accept this and still find value in faith.

Finding comfort in mythology is fine but truth matters. Study the evidence and folow it where it leads. Never apologise for pointing at the emperor's nakedness.

• cofty
    cofty

A lot of angry ex-JW's who are flying off in all directions, and feel justified doing so. - FloridaPerry

There are a few who are still angry, but when it comes to conversations like this its mostly a lot of very well-informed and rational people calmly presenting evidence.

Try reading some of the works of David Reagan. Smart guy, does a good job of explaining things.

Having escaped one apocalyptic cult what was it that attracted you to another?

• steve2
    steve2

Oh Lordy, a faith that comes and goes, with a yearning to delve once again into sacred and ancient writings when it would be better if you moved right away from fairy stories big on life lessions and "comfort".

As Richard Dawkins noted, people's religious inclinations are little more than "accidents" of where they were born.

If you were born and raised in a Muslim country, you'd be toying with the notion of getting back to reading the Koran, or if you were in India, it would be the Bhagavad Gita, or if you were of Jewish background, the yearning would be around the Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament. And so on. All divinely inspired writings indeed! Sure.

There is nothing "wrong" I suppose in responding to a conditioned yearning to go back to the book of your upbringing, if not your country of birth. Or you could acknowledge that there is no "ultimate" source of "Divine" knowledge. But if your need to be consoled is greater than your need to divest yourself of leaning on ancient human "wisdom" for direction, then get that old collection of loose fitting stories back out and start poring over it. What's stopping you?

• Ding
    Ding

Jambon1,

If you read the New Testament in a recognized (non-NWT) translation, I think you'll find that the message is quite different from what the WTS says it is.

I recommend Romans and Galatians especially, since they run competely counter to the works-and-legalism system of the WT.

If you'd like to PM me at any time to discuss any of this, feel free.

I won't try to talk you into any religious organization.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Don't be afraid to explore this need you have ... you now may develop a personal relationship with God Creator, the God that the bible speaks about, the God of Abraham, Isaaic and Jacob, you may become a GENTILE that will find that Jesus is the Messiah ...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm all for following your nose wherever it leads you. If you are feeling the need to explore, do it. I've gone through several crises of faith where I re-explored everything I thought I believed. I just went through two years of that. It was unsettling for sure, but I figure that's normal when you're growing.

One thing I wanted to explore is the mystery of Nature, which I was able to do while living in a remote mountain community. I think I've found it's secret.

We've got a vast unconscious that can point us to some unmet areas of our life. That may include your spiritual side. I do continue to talk to God as if He were riding on my shoulder, as I always have. I get brought short because of my shift in faith, wondering why I bother, but if it is the way I work through problems, why not?

I think it would help, if you are revisiting your spiritual side, to do things differently, or at least give them a twist. Like praying while standing on your head. That will get fresh neurons firing and a new perspective.

Here's a book on my "must read" list that might help you:

Reading the Bible Again For the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally by Marcus J. Borg

and just because,

Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals How to Think Differently by Gregory Berns Ph.D.

• Violia
    Violia

thanks jnat, just downloaded it. I think you hit the head on the nail, serious but not literal.

• extractor
    extractor

Sounds great. Get a non-NWT bible, read John then Romans, and then John then Romans as if you've never heard of any of it before. I think you might be surprised what you find.

Remember... YOU DON'T HAVE TO JOIN ANYTHING!!

• d
    d

I agree read the bible that is what helped me become atheist.

• Listener
    Listener

It was wonderful to read the New Testament with an open mind and it was surprising to feel a different understanding of the 'Good News". My appreciation for Jesus grew on a different level.

Reading Ray Franz's book "Crisis of Conscience' made me realize how unimportant religion is and that having a personal relationship with God is possible if not desireable without it. Other people get something different from his book and this is because he leaves it to the reader to draw what they want from his writings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit