10 Years out of the JW Organization- What I've Learned ( For what it's Worth)

by flipper 100 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Noticed some newer posters have joined the board just wanted to bump this thread up if newer folks or anybody else wanted to add their 2 cents worth ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

was feeling a bit down today and googling for support I stumbled upon this post on JWstruggle, didn't know who it was by until I got to the end and thought I would give this duplicate post a bump...

Thanks Mr Flipper for you and all the regular posters on here helping us newbies stay on the right track and cope with the fallout of leaving this damn mind control organisation which frankly 'f''s with your head.

http://www.jwstruggle.com/2014/01/ten-years-after-leaving-the-jehovahs-witness-religion/

• flipper
    flipper
    TORNINTWO- Thanks for the kind words, I just noticed you bumped this up. I think all of us as ex-JW's can do a lot to support one another. We get a lot more support here than we ever did at a kingdom hall. Take care have a nice Thanksgiving ! Peace out, mr. Flipper
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wanted to add this important thing that I learned, just in case some faders are reading:

Many (if not most) who wake up to the truth about "the truth" could just walk away from the Kingdom Hall all at once, "cold turkey."

I didn't do it either, but I wish I did. Many, even with children, will find that the kids hated it and will come around to appreciate Mom or Dad walking away and opening up alternatives. Many with family "in" can maintain their life of not openly defying Watchtower and its rules, and just walk out, to retain just as much family contact as a slow fader.

The sooner one gets away from the thought-control speeches, the sooner their head clears up and they start to figure out why they were depressed.

Oh, and this food for thought- there really is no difference between "inspired" and "spirit-directed." It is only used by Watchtower to allow them to change what they have proclaimed. Why would God inspire the correct understanding in the ancient past, but only spirit-direct those proclaiming His truth often with errors?

• flipper
    flipper

ON THE WAY OUT- Happy Thanksgiving to you friend ! We'll have to catch up this weekend . Good points you make. Depending on WHICH kids parents are exiting yes indeed teenage children who may be hating the JW experience anyway will be really glad when one parent exits the JW cult as it gives them a reason to exit. The problem with that working all the time with young folks is like what happened in my case - I exited the cult cold turkey and my fanatic JW ex-wife used it as an opportunity to try turning all 3 of my teenagers against me claiming that, " your dad is rebellious because he is disagreeing with the elders and not being obedient to Jehovah. " So from then on in late 2003 onward my two daughters started shunning me.

JW's are some of the most manipulative, deceitful people I know on the planet who use circumstances to turn friends and family against one another- I know as I have lived it. But as you say leaving cold turkey IS a good thing for the person leaving AND if the JW teenagers are ready to leave as well- but it can have a reverse effect too. And go the other way.

As you mention getting away from the " thought control speeches " is essential to freeing one's mind from the WT Society scummy dross teachings and mind manipulation. I'm glad we are free ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Ding
    Ding

Flipper's OP mentioned the microphones.

When I first attended a meeting at a KH, I remember wondering how the guy got stuck having to do the microphone duty.

I was astonished later when I learned that this was considered a privilege that had to be earned.

As I think about it in retrospect, it's just one example of the micromanagement of JWs the GB uses to keep them from leading normal lives .

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Hey flipper and otow, faders and lurkers, I've walked away cold turkey and I have to say with every day the fog is clearing more. No repercussions yet, although my jw husband is committed to protecting me and my daughter from such so we're lucky, he isn't the spiteful 'run to the elders' type. My teenage daughter has followed me out. I agree, it gave her the option, she didn't have to keep trying to please her parents and she could admit to herself that she wanted unlimited friendships, extracurricular activities, celebrations, sleep ins at the weekend, higher education and a basic normal life! Who wouldn't? To parents out there I say lead by example.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Ding, well said, I remember when I first learned women weren't allowed to hold the microphones, whaaaat!!! Now why on earth did I not run out of the Kingdom Hall that day screaming 'cult, cult'!? Could have saved me 25 years of crappy decisions.

• Ding
    Ding

Tornintwo,

It was only later that I found out that carrying the microphones was a male-only "privilege."

The fact that the vast majority of JWs never question rules like this shows how effective the indoctrination is.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What have I learned in the years since I have been out... I left mainly for 2 reasons, One,because I could see that the datelines of things were running way overdue , and years later? It is even more overdue ! Second, I could no longer stomach the view that God wanted to kill everybody who did not support the WTS..

The time until now has demonstrated that the world is made up of ordinary people. No matter where they come from, they just want to bring up their families and get along as neighbours.

People are people , some of course whose behaviour I dislike but very many more who are good people....and I learned that I find a home on this site !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit