Giant thread of convince-me-not-to-be-a-theist

by DS211 243 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

Totally sick of it.-cofty

Don't be, I was a lurker. I am a newbie. Do you think I am intelligent cofty?

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

nonsense that makes the forum unappealing to intelligent people who care about truth-cofty

The stark contrasting points you and Tammy put across, are very appealing to intelligent JWs who are having doubts. I can understand that some days you get sick of going round in circles.

But to the new luker, it's the first time. You have both been instrumental in helping me move on. Cofty I have moved on, I am just messing with you most of the time.

It's evident that you are both here to help the damaged sheeple from the BOrg. You also comment on our personal threads. What we learn from you both is...(and SBF) that personal religious beliefs do not cause a barrier to friendships. And new friendships can be made over years on this forum. We are not just electronic entities that are virtual friends, we can actually make friends.

I am happy to call both you and Tammy my friends. I have even been to her website, and read Dwakins from your recommendation. I don't agree with everything you both say, but I call you both my friends.

Lets meet up soon Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kate - Tec actually says nothing substantial beyond (rearrange at your leisure) - 'Christ', 'Light', 'Hear', 'Follow','That doesn't apply to me'. Cofty has provided facts, information, reasoned thought and evidence. Why on earth would you equate both? One is driven by the super ego (I'm special listen to me) and the other from the realm of empirical knowledge. Please choose your influences carefully. Whether Tec admits it or not she is fishing for converts to a mystic form of christianity which involves strange revelations on obscure scripture started a few years ago by a charismatic preacher whom she follows. Buyer beware.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Qcmbr,

You have been a member 5/6 years longer than Tammy and Cofty. Less time than they have actually been posting for. You have posted much less, and made less of an impact on serious decisions I am making at the moment.

The stark contrasting points Cofty and Tammy put across, are very appealing to intelligent JWs who are having doubts.

What am influenced by is how much they care about me as an individual, and what they say on my personal threads as I express my thoughts and feelings.

You are mistaken about what influences me, please read some of my OP's to get a clearer picture

The OP wants convincing by an atheist. DS is not going to join Tammy's religion, because it's only a website. DS has doubts and wants to explore them.

Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Your dismissal of me is fine - a little silly but fine however, Tec is not giving wavering JWs a good overview of the options since she argues exclusively for her personal brand of woo. She has a long history here and yet her posts rarely engage the question but revolve around a simplistic idea (listen to her version of christ). One common worry here was that for a time there was a very strong presence on these boards of the aforementioned preacher and between her and Tec they gathered a few ex-JWs into a new faith built loosley on christianity but with a strong anti-religion undertone. That caused a lot of issues and was, imo, a real problem since so many vulnerable people , desperate to find a port in an emotional storm, can fall for a kind voice and a promise of divine communication and many seemed to. Tec now stands alone here promoting this very exclusive brand of faith. Most believers on this board are very different in their approach and can hold a good conversation without constant recourse to a celestial trump card (god just told me.)

• KateWild
    KateWild

Your dismissal of me is fine - a little silly but fine however-Qcmbr

Apologies, what exactly makes you feel I did this?

You are mistaken about what influences me, and other newbies like me. Please read some of my personal OP's, and other newbie personal OP's to get a clearer picture.

I did not intend to be dismissive, please clarify, I am sorry.

Love Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kate - really? Fine. Please don't ask me to explain why this sort of thing is clumsy verbal power play.

You have been a member 5/6 years longer than Tammy and Cofty. Less time than they have actually been posting for. You have posted much less, and made less of an impact on serious decisions I am making at the moment.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am glad you put it clearly for me. It was an observation not power play. I have ASD if you had read my OP's as I requested you would not have made a wrong assuption.

Clearly you have not yet accepted my apology either. Why do you post on JWN?

Kate xx

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kate - I find the accepting and giving of apologies a somewhat distracting feature of internet forums (now). I'm not angry with you nor am I fulminating with inner ire and so you don't need seek my approval or not. I find it helpful to simply point out a nasty comment simply to establish a boundary. My time is very limited so when I post I tend to be very brusque and to the point. It is not to most people's taste. I post rarely (by design) and when I do it needs to be very focused. My credentials for posting are simply 1: Global citizen 2: Ex cult member (very closely related religion) 3: This forum was an incredible help in opening my eyes to my own beliefs and in some small way I want to add my voice as a spiritual due to a bunch of people who I feel closer to than they will feel to me.

I may not be the ex-mormon this forum deserves and I'm not the one you need but I do enjoy reading and occassionaly posting dammit.

:)

• zound
    zound

...and I am being reminded by my Lord to go back and address this. I take full responsibility for missing it, because my Lord did point out that you were saying...

You have no idea how creepy this sounds Tammy - I worry for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit