Giant thread of convince-me-not-to-be-a-theist

by DS211 243 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

group hug!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You do not have any proof that there is no God

You're right I don't, but then I don't make the claim that there is no god do I? Atheism is NOT a belief system. It claims NOTHING! In your own words you claimed to believe as true the things you wanted to believe.

That's just childish wishful thinking.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

adamah did you understand my comments? I'm not in the least bit interested in 'trying to disprove [Tammy's] unprovable claim[s]', others can attempt that if they wish.

However, I AM concerned about the nonsense that lurkers and nervous 'wobbly' JW's are being exposed to here. I DON'T want censorship but I will call out bullshit where I see it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Atheism is NOT a belief system.-nic

That depends on the individual. I see that it certainly is with many dogmatic Atheists who insist believers are wrong and enter into debates about the existence of God.

For many Athiests, however it is not a belief system. My mother is an athiest and never discusses God with me. She is simply not interested. She totally changes the subject and asks about the kids schooling or something.

nic, I am a grown up I am only childish when I wind up the elders on my JC, I promise.

• KateWild
    KateWild

J. Hoff,

I agree with your points. I am going to be an Atheist now you have explained it so logically. Why did I not think of that before? Kate xx

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

many dogmatic Atheists - insist believers are wrong and enter into debates about the existence of God.

So? If a believer claims a man walked on water or raised the dead they ARE wrong, that in no way impinges on the definition of atheism. I can argue the toss as much as I like without compromising my position as an atheist.

My mother is an athiest and never discusses God with me.

Her choice, and one I'd respect, but there's the point - atheists are individuals with almost NOTHING that unifies them other than a lack of belief in god/s

Nic'

• cofty
    cofty

That's why SBF left cofty, that's what his "perspective" was that he was on your ignore list.- Kate

How would you know that Kate?

I know for a fact that you are very much mistaken. SBF and I were/are friends who respected each other's opposing opinions.

You could not be more wrong about why he no longer posts here.

Adam - Your latest attack sinks to the ultimate depths for an ex-JW forum. You are a legend in your own mind.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can argue the toss as much as I like without compromising my position as an atheist.-nic

You can, just like many believers. You know what is right and wrong about their beliefs if they tell you what they believe, and you can tell them if you wish. It doesn't compromise your belief system at all, you are correct I agree nic. Love Kate xx

• adamah
    adamah

Nicolau said- did you understand my comments? I'm not in the least bit interested in 'trying to disprove [Tammy's] unprovable claim[s]', others can attempt that if they wish.

Nicolau, did YOU bother to understand MY comments?

Nicolau said- However, I AM concerned about the nonsense that lurkers and nervous 'wobbly' JW's are being exposed to here. I DON'T want censorship but I will call out bullshit where I see it.

Exactly, and show me exactly where TEC made the "Jesus is my BFF" claim in THIS thread, and you'd have an arguably-valid point. HOWEVER, she didn't play the "Jesus told me so" card in THIS thread, but Cofty wasn't content to wait for that offense to occur. If you don't know the rules of forum etiquette and debating, perhaps it'll make more sense if I explain in terms from American-football: Cofty was "off-sides", crossing the scrimmage line before the ball had been snapped. If track and field is more to your liking, he jumped the gun. Enough sports analogies?

Cofty (or anyone else) doesn't have the RIGHT to hound posters for some fallacy card that hasn't even been played in a thread: it's poor form to allow posters to chase others all over the forum (i.e. for issues to spill over into all other threads) since it constitutes 'stalking' and harassment. It's not my forum, but Simons and the mods call to make, but it appears to be a violation of known rules of debating and forum etiquette, so consider it as one poster publicly and politely asking another to knock it off....

Adam

• KateWild
    KateWild

I know for a fact that you are very much mistaken. SBF and I were/are friends who respected each other's opposing opinions-cofty

Apologies Cofty, you have a pm

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit