Giant thread of convince-me-not-to-be-a-theist

by DS211 243 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

P.s. I can't believe Tec still doesnt understand why it is important to tell people how she comes upon her information, namely a voice she hears, that she relies on and then communicates to other people this 'information' as if fact. Considering how many times Tec has been incorrect and how much her story has adjusted (feel free to search her posts history), if there is so eone talking to her, they haven't been to school...

Or provide an example, Snare, giving me an opportunity to defend myself from what you are saying about ME (not my post, just about me). And its not like, in more than 12 000 posts, I have never given credit to my Lord for teaching me. The last thread I started was all about that.

e.g. Things that Tec SAYS as if its FACT..... Ask her how she knows these things....

"On the matter of Genesis 1, the the creation 'days' do not state that they are any specific amount of time. The sun and the moon and the stars created to govern the day and the night are not even formed until 'day four'. These days are time periods that could have spanned thousands, even millions of years. The account also does not say HOW God created animals, sea-life, etc.... only that He did so. It is only some fundamental, literalist views that would state that each day was a set time and that God 'poofed' things into existence."

Just like the governing body, L Ron Hubbard, Joseph Smith..... Tec is special and has been gifted special knowledge we all don't have, well unless we read her posts on an internet forum....

or you can read some science :/

Everything that you bolded, that I posted... is true. If it is not, then please speak as to what is not true, instead of doing the ad hominem just as Cofty did. That is not a rebuke from me to you, Snare. It is just what you both did. If there is something wrong in the above words, please point that out.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Yeah, TEC's right: that's a clear-cut example of an ad hominem, attacking the other person rather than challenging their argument. It's lazy, and it's a foul in debating (whether I agree with the sentiment or not is besides the point). No need to do that, when TEC offers so little "meat" in her 'arguments' that it's such easy pickin's anyway, LOL!

LOL... um... thanks?

TEC said- On the matter of Genesis 1, the the creation 'days' do not state that they are any specific amount of time. The sun and the moon and the stars created to govern the day and the night are not even formed until 'day four'. These days are time periods that could have spanned thousands, even millions of years. The account also does not say HOW God created animals, sea-life, etc.... only that He did so. It is only some fundamental, literalist views that would state that each day was a set time and that God 'poofed' things into existence.

Unfortunately, we have a 2,500 yr history of an ever-decreasing number of believers who've argued for a literal reading, even past the point when it became too outlandish to try. Here's Ken Ham, a famous fundamentalist Xian who is stillarguing for a literal interpretation, EVEN IN SPITE of the evidence against it, in 2013:

So what?

I mean, really, so what? We have people who argue all sorts of things. The account does not make the statements that some literal fundamentalists SAY that it makes. (which is ironic, since they are supposedly 'literal' fundamentalists) But it is just interpretation.

And John ended up writing a bunch of goofy stuff, as a result, involving nothing even remotely resembling a prophecy of actual events that have occurred...

Actually, some things have not yet occurred. Some things have. But you'd have to have some help in understanding. Revelation is... well... revealed. Not interpreted.

Jesus operated under the incorrect belief of his time period that disease resulted from sin, not germs. That was his schtick: he supposedly healed by forgiving sins (where the standard cure for leprosy performed by the Temple priests and recorded in Leviticus is tantamount to a voodoo ritual performed by a witch doctor in the Caribbean Islands, involving pigeon blood, shaking of rattles, etc.

Nowadays, humans understand that leprosy is caused by a bacteria, and 20 million cases have been CURED with free oral antibiotics, thus improving the lives of millions of people around the World with a treatment that actually works.

What a missed opportunity for Jesus to explain that leprosy DOESN'T occur due to sin, but instead is caused by tiny 'animals' that are too small to see, but that settle into the skin and cause the disfiguring skin condition. Sure, they'd laugh, but he'd present compelling evidence of having been sent from Heaven when modern people learned the truth. Remember, THAT is the entire basis of the gift of prophecy, being able to foretell future events. Jesus didn't even have to predict Louis Pasteur by name, but only the concept of diseases caused by micro-organisms (tiny animals; Greek would be 'microzoa').

Even if Jesus didn't tell HOW to treat leprosy, he would've presented some pretty compelling proof of having known of his Father's creations, due to having a Heavenly perspective that only someone associated with the "Intelligent Designer" would have. Instead, Jesus appears to be just another uninspired man who, although charismatic, believed exactly what everyone else in the region around Palestine believed, since it was the dominant concept of disease: caused by sin, either the patients, or their parents.

And yet, He DID heal. So He knew what He was doing.

(The people might not have been able to understand about germs and genetics and such details. It would have been the ravings of a mad man to them, and they would not have listened. It would have been babble.)

Nonsense: read the Genesis One account again, as God clearly created animals, "according to their kind". That means they were created in finished form, such that he looked at ALL of his creation and declared it as finished, saying it was "very good". He rested, taking a day off on the Sabbath.

Why does it mean that, Adamah? Because I see NO REASON for it TO mean that, other than what your eyes have been trained to see. There is no word 'kind' in biological classifications. On top of that... created according to their kind (assuming it means species or genus or family)... this still does not mean that they started out in their "finished form", like a 'poof' genie in the bottle snapping his fingers.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said-

No it wasn't, you are just too lazy to read the context of my comment or ask for clarification.

Explaining how somebody came by an assertion is not ad homenem, it is a summary of years of discussing this very subject with Tammy and first hand knowledge of how she interacts with her mentor which you have no knowledge of.

Cofty, it's attacking her claimed method of obtaining knowledge, rather than challenging the argument itself: although not a personal insult directed against TEC, anyone who's taken a basic logic course (which clearly is not you) would know it IS a type of ad hominem (an "ad hominem, circumstantial").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem#Circumstantial

Ad hominem circumstantial points out that someone is in circumstances such that they are disposed to take a particular position. Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source.

Now granted, her voice-hearing claim relies on an 'appeal to Divine authority', but since she's not made the claim in this thread, she hasn't played that card: in fact, YOU brought it up, not TEC, so setting up a well-known claim of the opponent (only so you can knock it down) is intellectually-lazy. In debating terms, it's a 'foul'.

But more importantly, you are needlessly detracting from the discussion of the topic at hand, since we all know you have a bias against TEC and her "I hear the voice of Jesus" claim, and you've been chasing that wild goose for years and you haven't accomplished your goal of running her off or discouraging her participation: in fact, it's only accomplished the EXACT OPPOSITE, since it feeds into her 'I'm being persecuted in the name of Jesus' belief, AKA 'Xian persecution complex'. You're an ex-JW: you should fully understand how the 'persecution complex' works, and how opposing it is foolish, as it's only going to fail? Derp?

So get over it already, since TEC's voice-hearing claim is legendary, and everyone knows that it really gets under your skin, eliciting your dogmatic authoritarian persona. Don't let it devolve into an opportunity to run in the same endless loop cycle of trying to run TEC off, and her rebuffing. It's a pointless codependent relationship you two are locked in, and side-tracking every thread with it is useless.

Put your own ego aside, and focus on her arguments, not her methods.

Adam

• tec
    tec

Thank you Adamah, for that. And while you and I disagree on... well... a lot, lol... thank you for debating/addressing the argument.

Peace to you,

tammy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Belief in God in a personal desire. It's not based on science or suffering. If one want to believe they find reasons, and likewise if on does not wish to they see no evidence of God.

During our exit changes to what we wish may or may not occur. Many retained belief in God for many years out of the BOrg and then became Atheist. I know of some that were Atheist most of the time in the BOrg, so in their exit, no CD remained in regard to God's exostance.

I believe in God. I just don't think he is interested in human affairs.

Everything I educate myself in just confirms my bias. Kate xx

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

> I believe in God. I just don't think he is interested in human affairs.

so what's the point in believing in him (or her, or them, or it... pick your preference)?

or, asked differently: what's the practical difference between a god that exists, but hides so well nobody sees it and a nonexisting god?

• cofty
    cofty

Adam - if you could make your points succinctly I would be more inclined to read them

My point was entirely apporpriate in the context of the thread. My interest in justifying that to you is nill.

• cofty
    cofty

Adam - I see you selectively quote just as Watchtower writers do. Here is the rest of your quote...

Where the source seeks to convince an audience of the truth of a premise by a claim of authority or by personal observation, observation of their circumstances may reduce the evidentiary weight of the claims, sometimes to zero.

• adamah
    adamah

EoM, sorry, but I cannot follow your logic, since it's steeped in ignorance of biology and you're making many outlandish assumptions as a result. No insult meant, really, it's just that the differential in our understanding evolution means the gap is just too vast. If you want to be taken seriously on the topic, the onus is on YOU, the individual, to learn what evolution actually is saying BEFORE you can even begin to challenge it in a credible manner.

Here's a book I highly recommend you read, to at least obtain an overview of science vs theology in evolution:

http://ncse.com/media/evc1

Chapter One is available as a free download on that page, and it's likely available at your local public library (if you don't want to spend the money) since the author is Eugenie Scott, the director of the National Center for Science Education.

TEC said- On the matter of Genesis 1, the the creation 'days' do not state that they are any specific amount of time. The sun and the moon and the stars created to govern the day and the night are not even formed until 'day four'. These days are time periods that could have spanned thousands, even millions of years. The account also does not say HOW God created animals, sea-life, etc.... only that He did so. It is only some fundamental, literalist views that would state that each day was a set time and that God 'poofed' things into existence.

Adam said- Unfortunately, we have a 2,500 yr history of an ever-decreasing number of believers who've argued for a literal reading, even past the point when it became too outlandish to try. Here's Ken Ham, a famous fundamentalist Xian who is stillarguing for a literal interpretation, EVEN IN SPITE of the evidence against it, in 2013:

TEC said- So what? I mean, really, so what? We have people who argue all sorts of things. The account does not make the statements that some literal fundamentalists SAY that it makes. (which is ironic, since they are supposedly 'literal' fundamentalists) But it is just interpretation.

"So what? It's just interpretation"?

Holy Hades, TEC: you mean being wrong on interpetation for 2,500 yrs (and counting) doesn't present just a teensie-weensie problem for you?

That's a problem: if the Bible passages are open to interpretative errors and changes in language and human knowledge that happens over time (and YES, there ARE), then what's the point of bothering to claim any Divine inspiration on the front end (i.e. in the writing process), if God cannot be bothered to assure "Divine Interpretation" on the other end?

How do you know you're not wrong TODAY on ANY interpretation, just like the past believers were?

And how do you know the interpretation won't change again in the future (like it has many times in the past), after science makes the current interpretation silly or incredible, or believers try to insert modern concepts from science anachronistically (just as Darwin's evolution theory was fought for centuries by believers, but only NOW believers are trying to insert it into Genesis, since the evidence supporting evolution is so overwhelming)?

Such history of misunderstanding and interpretative FUBARs is a sign of an uninterested deity, at the very least. If any Gods exist, they clearly don't want to have a personal and intimate relationship with individual humans, or a desire to make their will for humanity known in a non-confusing unambiguous manner: the existence of 35k flavors of Xianity alone should confirm that.

And John ended up writing a bunch of goofy stuff, as a result, involving nothing even remotely resembling a prophecy of actual events that have occurred...

TEC said- Actually, some things have not yet occurred. Some things have. But you'd have to have some help in understanding. Revelation is... well... revealed. Not interpreted.

Absurd and classic excusiology for prophecies: "Don't worry, you just need to give it more time!" Yes, and THAT'S an effective line of reasoning to use on an ex-JW message board, where all participants KNOW the history of failed prophecies (Armageddon dating for 1914, 1975, before the end of the 20th century, etc). As usual, mere mortals take for fall for the prophetic failure, and of course, it's NOT like God or Jesus were wrong: humans simply misunderstood!

Jesus operated under the incorrect belief of his time period that disease resulted from sin, not germs. That was his schtick: he supposedly healed by forgiving sins (where the standard cure for leprosy performed by the Temple priests and recorded in Leviticus is tantamount to a voodoo ritual performed by a witch doctor in the Caribbean Islands, involving pigeon blood, shaking of rattles, etc.

Nowadays, humans understand that leprosy is caused by a bacteria, and 20 million cases have been CURED with free oral antibiotics, thus improving the lives of millions of people around the World with a treatment that actually works.

What a missed opportunity for Jesus to explain that leprosy DOESN'T occur due to sin, but instead is caused by tiny 'animals' that are too small to see, but that settle into the skin and cause the disfiguring skin condition. Sure, they'd laugh, but he'd present compelling evidence of having been sent from Heaven when modern people learned the truth. Remember, THAT is the entire basis of the gift of prophecy, being able to foretell future events. Jesus didn't even have to predict Louis Pasteur by name, but only the concept of diseases caused by micro-organisms (tiny animals; Greek would be 'microzoa').

Even if Jesus didn't tell HOW to treat leprosy, he would've presented some pretty compelling proof of having known of his Father's creations, due to having a Heavenly perspective that only someone associated with the "Intelligent Designer" would have. Instead, Jesus appears to be just another uninspired man who, although charismatic, believed exactly what everyone else in the region around Palestine believed, since it was the dominant concept of disease: caused by sin, either the patients, or their parents.

TEC said- And yet, He DID heal. So He knew what He was doing.

So simply writing that someone did something (eg "I just leaped 400 ft in the air, and flew around! I really DID! Honest!!") proves it? TEC, you cannot be THAT gullible and/or dense, can you?

TEC said- (The people might not have been able to understand about germs and genetics and such details. It would have been the ravings of a mad man to them, and they would not have listened. It would have been babble.)

TEC, can you try actually RESPONDING to what I wrote, rather than simply rewording your original statement? I won't continue in a 'discussion' with a parrot, who only repeats a limited range of responses. So Re-read my response (in the box), and try again to respond to what I WROTE, if you want to continue.

Nonsense: read the Genesis One account again, as God clearly created animals, "according to their kind". That means they were created in finished form, such that he looked at ALL of his creation and declared it as finished, saying it was "very good". He rested, taking a day off on the Sabbath.

TEC said- Why does it mean that, Adamah? Because I see NO REASON for it TO mean that, other than what your eyes have been trained to see. There is no word 'kind' in biological classifications.

Uh, no spit, Spar? Do you really think you're talking to someone who hasn't spent decades working in the field, having actually earned a doctorate in the subject before?

TEC said- On top of that... created according to their kind (assuming it means species or genus or family)... this still does not mean that they started out in their "finished form", like a 'poof' genie in the bottle snapping his fingers.

So, here's your chance to explain: what do YOU believe "according to their kind" means?

Are you familiar with ancient Hebrew, and the author's (Priestly source) concepts of animals?

(Oh, and in your response, please don't use a word or concept which the author wasn't even aware of yet, like 'species'. And unlike Cofty, I say you can talk to Jesus for help: let's drag him into the discussion, so we can benefit from his ignorance of science, as fully-revealed in the NT.)

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said-

Adam - I see you selectively quote just as Watchtower writers do. Here is the rest of your quote...

Where the source seeks to convince an audience of the truth of a premise by a claim of authority or by personal observation, observation of their circumstances may reduce the evidentiary weight of the claims, sometimes to zero.

You're wrong, yet again, and that's why you should actually be bothered to read what people post BEFORE responding: it keeps egg off your face.

If you HAD bothered to read my response, you'd see I explained how TEC hadn't relied on an 'appeal to authority' claim. You'd be justified to challenge, if she HAD, but she DIDN'T. You jumped the gun and attacked her for a fallacious argument she hadn't even played (patience, as the day is still young)....

So don't blame me for your unwillingness and/or lack of reading comprehension: that sounds more like a personal problem....

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit