Maintaining Faith In God As An Ex-JW

by pronomono 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I didn’t specifically have that in mind but I would include it certainly in the researching process.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@MrCellophane

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I have had a very, no, VERY difficult time with faith once I saw the org for what it was. Being raised and indoctrinated to the highest degree, my world view was built on the foundation that the org was the "only true religion" and the FDS was the "only true channel." And this, of course, was built on the premise that EVERYONE else and EVERYTHING else was a sham, plain and simple. It is all quite nefarious actually, quite cultish. If one builds their faith on this premise of "us against them" and "true against false" and that foundation crumbles with the realization that it is not what it is purported to be, then faith in anything after that transcendental moment is almost impossible. At least for me. Good luck to all of you who haven't become as jaded....

Just a thought,

SOP

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Perhaps you would like to investigate skeptical theism.

Eden

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I asked God to lead me where He wanted me to be, and then I trusted that He would do so.

Whatever you do, don't do that.

That's (in a nutshell) how I became a JW.

I agree with Keysor Soze above. If that "God" is out there, s(he) has my cell number or other ways to contact me.
    Be the person you think you should be and that should be plenty enough.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@OTWO - totally agree. Like playing Russian roulette.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i never found it to be a question. i just never felt any different after leaving the Witnesses. i think i understand more now why since finding this site. so i can't really give you anything as to how.

• tec
    tec

Allow me to reiterate... that when I asked God to lead me where HE wanted me to be... that I had learned not to listen to men; I had learned NOT to rely upon men.

If I was asking God to lead me to truth... I knew NOT to ask men or to follow them. Men had failed. There was no one left to rely upon except God... and His Son, who taught the truth about God.

Peace,

tammy

• bohm
    bohm

tec: Allow me to reiterate... that when I asked God to lead me where HE wanted me to be... that I had learned not to listen to men; I had learned NOT to rely upon men.

All this is saying is you rely on a mix of your own moral intuitions and that of the bible but (and this is the crucial point) since you have come to believe your own thoughts are messages from Jesus you have both an overriding reason to let it trumpf other peoples wishes and well-being and you have put yourself in a very poor position to be reasoned with.

I do not believe anyone has ever shunned a family member because he believed 8 men in brooklyn or a pope in rome told him to do so. He has done so exactly because he believe he should NOT rely upon men and SHOULD let God, jehovah or jesus guide him.

• tec
    tec

All this is saying is you rely on a mix of your own moral intuitions and that of the bible but (and this is the crucial point) since you have come to believe your own thoughts are messages from Jesus you have both an overriding reason to let it trumpf other peoples wishes and well-being and you are in a very poor position to be reasoned with.

Actually, it means that I do not rely upon my own moral intuitions and that of the bible... and while you have no choice but to believe that the Spirit is my own thoughts... I KNOW my own thoughts as distinct from the Spirit. I know me. You don't, so it is understandable, especially being an atheist, that you would combine the two. But I know ME.

I do not know what you are talking about... trumping other peoples wishes and well-being.

I do not believe anyone has ever shunned a family member because he believed 8 men in brooklyn or a pope in rome told him to do so. He has done so exactly because he believe he should NOT rely upon men and SHOULD let God, jehovah or jesus guide him.

Your statement above makes no sense. Listening to 8 men in brooklyn or a pope in rome is EXACTLY what they are doing, whether they realize it or not. People shun because they are not listening to Christ... but rather to men such as the ones you list, and others as well. (some may WANT to shun and WANT to cause pain or mete out vengeance, or punishment... and so act upon what is in them, and see/hear based upon what is in them also)

Sure, they don't think it means they are listening to men... but how many people once free of those men have not realized that... yeah, they were listening to men? When Christ's words written down in black and white that we have all read: are to forgive, to love... and at the most, to treat someone as they would a 'tax collector or person of the world"? Combine that with Christ's call to love one's enemies and do good to those who wrong us... and anyone who is shunning, df'ing, etc... is listening to men, and not to Christ OR God.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit