Maintaining Faith In God As An Ex-JW

by pronomono 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pronomono
    pronomono

Thank you Watkins, Hortenzie, Mr. Cellophane, and others for what has helped you.

Cofty: Our conclusions about the big questions are important. They should be based on a long and rational process that includes facing up to the very best arguments from all sides.

My best advice to exiting JWs is to put the question on hold for a long time. Focus on far more practical priorities like family, friends, fun, education and careers.

Cofty, I definitely like your advice. These things take time, and I need to give it that time without neglecting the other important aspects of my life.

I'm in a kind of awkard place right now, which definitely means I need time to figure it out. I'm not necessarily concerned about being wrong. I'm happy with whatever place I find myself in the afterlife. If it's a state of nothingness, I won't feel anything. If it's heaven, I expect perfection. If its hell, I'll be in good company. I doubt that I'll be punished for my lack of knowledge if I continue searching for this, and if for some reason God doesn't exist, I don't feel that a search for him will be in vain because doing so keeps my mind active. What I find odd about my situation is a general lack of feeling for myself. When I read about the lies we have been taught, I feel for all my brothers and sisters who have been misled, but am not really upset for me. I'm only upset for me when I think of how friends and family will shun me for being misled. It's almost as if I'm looking at most things from the third-person, reading a novel and feeling for the characters, but not really visualizing myself under their circumstances, as if I'm removed (at least emotionally) from the situation. Maybe that's my coping mechanism. I've always felt a little dead inside, so it's nothing new.

In taking time, I really need to take the time to read the Bible. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

It's funny because I've actually been searching for God for a long time, and have just had blind faith. I remember sitting in my room as a little kid with similar doubts in God. I reasoned that if I could prove the existence of the Devil, I could prove the existence of God. So I started screaming to the Devil that I would sell my soul to him for one simple act of levitation. Something to prove that he was real. That of course never happened. If the Devil is eager to steal our souls, he missed an easy opportunity. Needless to say, I was a pretty messed up JW kid. I still have thoughts like this, except now it's going to the cemetery asking the Devil to reveal himself.

But on the opposite end of things. I've started praying to Jehovah, to the Creator, to Jesus. Out of the four, none have answered my prayers. They all seem so lifeless, like figments of my imagination. I can't explain the big questions in life. Who are we? How did we get here? But at the same time I really don't care if I can or not. Those questions aren't that important to me. But I haven't quite found what is important to me except family and friends.

One day I may find some real answers, but I do know one thing for sure. Twenty-eight years as one of Jehovah's Witnesses hasn't provided any answers to me except that they don't have any answers. It may be true that everything I know about the Bible is due to them, but they are also the reason I have been mislead so much about the Bible. Now I'm having to pick up the pieces.

So thanks again everyone for the food for though. The journey continues...

• tec
    tec

In answer to the OP:

By turning to Christ.

As Peter also said when Christ asked the twelve if they wanted to leave Him also,

"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God."

You acknowledge yourself:

especially after enduring all the lies that we've been told about them.

So you know that the wts is not the truth; that the things they taught about God are lies.

If you want to know the Truth, then that is found in Christ. Read HIS words, teachings, deeds. He shows you His Father; nothing and no one else.

You can ask, also... for faith; for God to send you His Truth; for ears to hear and eyes to see. I asked for all of these things.

I asked God to lead me where He wanted me to be, and then I trusted that He would do so. No time limits or anything placed on Him by me. Then I continued to listen to and follow His Son, understanding that it is Christ who God told us to listen to... nothing and no one else. "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him."

May you have ears to hear if you wish them, when the Spirit and Bride say to you, "Come... take the free gift of the water of life!"

Peace and love to you,

tammy

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I'm with Cofty — follow the evidence. Also logic and reason. It becomes quickly apparent that we have been brought up with tales of folklore that gave more power to the powerful.
    I encourage reading the Bible and not skipping over Jehovah's vengeful and jealous spirit. Read the accounts of genocide and reflect. Ask why slavery was ever good.
    Then go on to the NY and ask why Jesus is continually boasting the goodness of his father; the god of Abraham... read carefuly...
    Read and ask questions... that will do it for you.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

If a god exists who cares about you trust that that being will give you the faith you need. As a non god you arent expected to spontaneously generate faith . Get on with living and if a caring god takes an interest in you then your question will be answered. Dont sweat faith.

This has been my philosophy since leaving. I got to the point where I stopped looking for evidence to support my faith, and left it up to him/her. If God wants my faith, he/she need only to reveal themselves. I'm not wasting another minute of my life searching.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The concept of 'faith' is interesting. Is it a way for the "faith-full" to rationalise the fact that some "good" people do not/will not become Christians?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Critical thinking skills + Watchtower religion = Fail

Critical thinking skills + concept of religion = agnostisism

• Satanus
    Satanus

I went straight from the wt to being a christian. I went to many churches, mostly to the pentacostalists. My focus changed from god to jesus, while there. God seemed always to be nebulous, unreachable. Jesus, on the other hand, seemed to be right there, only an arms length away. By all accounts, jesus was god, anyway. So, i felt quite close to jesus, my buddy and god.

Then i found the bible to be a fabrication. The nebulous ot god basically disappeared. Jesus? Who knows. As i have told christians, he can visit me anytime. He hasn't, so far, that i noticed.

As far as faith goes, i know what i have experienced. That only takes memory, not faith. I'm not going any further than that, believing something because someone ELSE wants me to. I'm into direct, first hand experimentation, a gnostic, in the traditional sense.

S

• Fernando
    Fernando

At a blank slate time in my life I had a simple encounter with the unabridged gospel message.

It was very different from what I had been taught as a 3rd generation born in and member for 4 decades.

Oddly enough their own publications corroborated what I was learning.

My experience of this composite yet simple message is that it acts as a map and a medicine which by design leads to faith (a higher state of consciousness and intelligence which is granted as a free gift).

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I would advise a detailed investigation into the Turin shroud. For me it has been a critical corner stone is my own belief that A Jesus existed and B had substance in the supernatural clams he is purported to have made. It’s a good objective piece of evidence to investigate and not as prone to same type as issues as are religious texts in my view.

• caliber
    caliber

would advise a detailed investigation into the Turin shroud. For me it has been a critical corner stone is my own belief that A Jesus existed

Seraphim23 What did you discover about the shroud ... this ?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pope-francis-comments-on-shroud-of-turin-after-new-research-upholds-authenticity-93047/

Pope Francis has made comments on the Shroud of Turin, the much-discussed and analyzed burial cloth that some believe shows the face of Jesus Christ, saying that it "speaks to the heart," though he stopped short of declaring the piece an official relic.he shroud made news again last week right before Easter when a research team from Padua University used carbon dating and concluded that the artifact is not a medieval fake, as some had previously suspected, but dates back to somewhere between 280 B.C. and A.D. 220.

"We carried out three alternative dating tests on the shroud, two chemical and one mechanical, and they all gave the same result and they all traced back to the date of Jesus, with a possible margin of error of 250 years," Fanti told CNN .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit