Maintaining Faith In God As An Ex-JW

by pronomono 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pronomono
    pronomono

As I fade further from the JWs, I'm finding it increasingly hard to maintain faith in God. I've been exploring many alternatives from atheism, agnostic, apathetic, pagan, and satanism (not devil worship, but the promotion of self-indulgence) to name a few. I'm thoroughly intrigued to learn how those of you who remained Christian managed to maintain your faith in God and Christ, especially after enduring all the lies that we've been told about them. Although I don't particularly like all the ideas of the God of the OT, I find the concept of Christ appealing, but I lack faith and am unsure if I want to regain faith or pursue an atheist/anti-theist course.

Would you share some of your experiences on how you maintained your faith after leaving the JWs?

• cofty
    cofty

I lack faith and am unsure if I want to regain faith or pursue an atheist/anti-theist course

I don't think people who are actually atheists ever make a decision to "pursue and atheist...course".

For me it was simply the end product of a very long process of searching for evidence to support my faith. I eventually came to the realisation that I no longer believed and therfore I was effectively an atheist.

It was quite a long time before I would actually use the word to describe my position.

I would suggest you try your very best to find evidence for theism. If you can't find any, then atheism is the default.

Anti-theism is another topic. I am an anti-theist but it's important to be sure it's a rational rather than an emotional position.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

well i think that your beief what ever it is, should be your beliefs and not based on fear and terror.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

The sad thing about JW's. You don't have to ask the question. "What happened to you. Why do you think like that?"

You know what a JW went through. You know the ambient abuse that they experienced. Ambient abuse is the most dangerous form of mental abuse according to some health professionals. What JW's do to other JW's is criminal.

• Bella15
    Bella15

In my case, after much research, reading old literature, visiting the Watchtower building in NYC, coming to know first hand through a relative victim of sexual abuse in the org., and reading lots of stuff, I understood that we have been deceived by a so called "Christian" organization - the Watchtower CORPORATION - a publishing company in NEW YORK CITY. My mom was deceived and thus the rest of the family followed. Weird that what would have been the last stroke to send me into complete unbelief in a God it was what propelled me to search for him, to search for the TRUTH! In my search I found out that the TRUTH whithin the Christian faith is a person, JESUS! this happened while reading the bible by myself.

You need to follow your heart's desires, if you feel you want to keep believing in God, do it, if you don't want to don't do it. But don't do one thing or another based in third party's point of views or religion. Follow your heart. Your needs. Some people is more atune to spiritual (not religion) things that others. In my case my relationship and experience with GOD is through Christianity's God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Holy One of Israel! The Father. This experience of GOD in my life is made possible by JESUS! I am a follower of Jesus Christ as understood within the Christian faith and also, Jesus' commands.

When you have the revelation of GOD you think differently, and what works for me may not work for other people, everyone experiences GOD differently.

• cofty
    cofty

Follow your heart. Your needs

Follow the evidence.

• caliber
    caliber

Follow your heart. Your needs

Follow the evidence.

Anti-theism is another topic. I am an anti-theist but it's important to be sure it's a rational rather than an emotional position. ~~Cofty

I wished you wouldn't feel like that !!!

• MrCellophane
    MrCellophane

As a lurker here for many years it seems clear to me that very many ex-JWs have become atheistic, some even agressively so. Possibly they were so wounded by their Watchtower experience that in fully rejecting it they also fully reject the Bible and the concept of God. I've also vacillated in my opinions as I've studied and evaluated non-Watctower information. For example, it's been very difficult for me to resolve the apparent conflict of a loving, merciful God with the practice of animal sacrifice; the relationship of Jehovah vs. Jesus vs. Holy Spirit; "miracles"; heaven vs. eartly paradise; evil spirits, etc., etc,. Yet I can't chuck it all away, deny God, and go with chance evolution as the final solution.

The resolution that's working for me, right now at least, is that that problem isn't with God, it's with mankind's attempts to explain it all and provide all the answers. So what I've rejected is the concept of the Bible being the full and literal explanation of God and mankind. The Bible was written by men and even if some or all of them were "inspired", that doesn't mean they were infallible. They recorded and explained as best they could for their understanding and the science of the times. Much scripture that various religions take as dogma may be fables provided by the ancients to try to rudimentally explain our existence and provide some ground rules for civilization. But mankind's shoddy theological cobblings don't preclude a Creator God. So, although we may feel that we must reject much of the Watchtower, it doesn't follow that we should reject God - or even reject "Jehovah". Nor do we need to reject Christ or "christian" principals.

• caliber
  • Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Hi pronomono, I think one has to start from basics when ones foundation crumbles and the building on top shatters into dust. This being the case one has to decide what the foundation should be made of before the foundation can become better that the one that crumbled. When the foundation is completed and the structure starts to get built on top, such a building will by itself fit into any of the pre-provided labels and world view that are out there. These go by such terms as atheist or theist, Christian and so forth.

The foundation however is a different matter than the structure, as words like faith and other similar type labels are more appropriate to the foundation rather than the structure on top of the foundation. In many respects the foundation is far more important than the structure as buildings can always be modified where necessary but foundations cannot without the complete destruction of the building. When it comes to faith, I decided that there was a valid distinction between blind faith and faith. So to me evidence was an absolute prerequisite for faith to have any solidity. However faith is also a label which can be dropped in favour of the word evidence. To me they mean the same thing on a basic level. One thus has to decide what constitutes evidence.

There are many approaches to evidence in this world. Some limit what evidence is according to different things. Of course evidence in order to have any value must by necessity be limited, else all things can be evidence for anything, which is obviously of no value when it comes to the allusive truth about reality, if that is what we are after. Some approaches limit evidence to a materialistic paradigm and others include other things less corporeal. The details of these positions are worth looking at, so we can decide for ourselves which we think has more merit.

Philosophy is a good discipline in order to try and weigh such things in order to help us look as objectively as may be possible. One doesn’t have to study it in a university to make use of it and it is very valuable for evaluating systems of thought.

The most important point I would make is this, that what one ends up believing is often a function of what one thinks is important. For instance is one thinks that life the universe and everything has a deeper meaning than the normal everyday meanings we give it ourselves, we will probably build up a world view that reflects that. Of course if we don’t then we won’t and the resulting world view will reflect a different view. So what we believe already and today, deep inside and I mean really deeply, even after and beyond a catastrophic collapse of our mental model or belief system, will modify in time what we eventually replace that old mental model with. The problem here is that our most deeply held beliefs are not a function of evidence but of belief. This applies to atheists and as well as theist’s although many would dispute this as being the case. Don’t get me wrong, most belief can be modified and shaped by evidence, but not all of it, not the most basic ones to which all else revolves in how we relate to ourselves and reality.

I want you to decide for yourself but speaking for me I am a Christian in the sense of a follower of Jesus. You have the luxury of time to try to get the foundations in place, and also to discover what your inbuilt foundations already are in terms of who you are, that part is already there, but it takes time to combine these two types of foundation and then to build on it. I think someone said `to thine own self be true.`

Brian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit