New Article on BEARDS and Attire of Jehovah's Witnesses

by jwfacts 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

"There is also the pirate beard where the pirate gets resurrected. He gets to wear his old clothes but his beard is trimmed to a moustache."

I'd love to see that, if you remember the issue. There should be no reason that in the New System beards are not allowed. Imagine telling Moses he cannot have a beard, because some pompous 21st century American leaders felt their era of fashion was more acceptable than that of the early Jews.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

I was dragged to the noticeboard where the leaflet on 'correct attire when visiting bethel' was posted.

The PO said "do you see any of those brothers with a beard - NO"

I said "no, I don't see any moustaches either, does that mean they're banned as well?"

Stuff you mister self righteous.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

NEW HOPE AND HAPPINESS - you're right, it IS a pathetic subject, for any rightminded free thinker.

but this was the first subject I allowed myself to research here on JWnet, and it went on from there, so although it's clearly a non-issue for normal people, for those under WT control, it IS an issue, and it could be one of the things that wakes them up to the control they're under..

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bangalore

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

me and you both captain ...thats why its pathetic..thats was my light bulb ...pathetic ...

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Jwfacts,

Many years ago in the 1980s one MS in Quesnel, BC, Canada grew a beard. He was deleted, but I recall talking with one of the elders on how they felt they basically had to find reasons in addition to the facial hair to recommend deletion. In the 80s I spent about a month in the hospital and at that time let my facial hair grew. Got several negative comments, but was so sick I didn't care. Now for "Movember" I am growing a beard again for the second time in my life.

In one of the publications there is a picture of the heavenly class, where Russell is pictured, but one notes that after his time the men are shown clean shaven. I do believe the primary motivation for the no-beard policy was two fold. Once Rutherford took over immitating him showed loyalty to his views in case their was any question of sympathy for Russell's older views. Showing Jesus as clean shaven seems to be part of the over-all anti-Christendom stances more fully expressed during the Rutheford era, especially after the 1925 failure.

I know of a couple cases where the 'student revolt' reference was appealed to, however since the 2002 directive came out, I'm sure it would be the one that would be considered the up to date directive.

Nice article!

Cheers,

-Randy

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Unfortunately when Jesus really does return the GB will instruct him to shave and get a hair cut before he makes any public speeches.

They will most likely state that to not shave would corrupt the faithful and taint the righteousness of the followers.

The GB are a strong and forceful group of men, more so than Jesus himself.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Elder " could you trust someone who wears a beard?

Yes, Jesus had a beard!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jwfacts, here's a thread you might find informative:

BEARDS: Why JW men don't have them

• cantleave
    cantleave

Really? Pirates? WTF?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit