New Article on BEARDS and Attire of Jehovah's Witnesses

by jwfacts 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Wait a minute, hold the phone, didn't god create men to have beards, thats his creation

so shaving off a man's beard is really being disrespectful to god.

Oh the humanity !

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Looks like a beard to me. *shrug*

• DS211
    DS211

No iffense to any moustache-ians but i would trust a bearded man before one with a mustache......

• blondie
    blondie

What about a man with a beard and no mustache?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Excellent points. I love that picture of the pirate. It is a crazy concept that shaving will be required in the New System, and shows the subliminal manner the Watchtower uses to control its followers.

Two good points I've gleaned from your comments that I will add are:

• A beard is natural for men, and to insist on shaving is going against nature
    • The origins of shaving are pagan. In the first century, Romans were shaving whilst Christians were not.

For most other subjects, the Watchtower would use the above two points to prevent a man from shaving.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Years ago a serious injury required surgery. As a result I was in a neck brace/collar for nearly three months. As such I could not move my head or neck, could not shave...even if I had wanted to. Guess what? Two weeks after my surgery one of the eldurrs made a point to "lovingly" chastise me for having facial hair and showing disrespect for Jehovah's house by attending a meeting with...a...GASP!...BEARD! There, "must be someway brother that you can manage to ignore the surgeon's instructions and remove the brace to properly scrape the hair off your face. You don't want to stumble someone do you?"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You don't want to stumble someone do you?

Abundant peace belongs to those who love your law; Nothing can make them stumble. - Psalm 119:165

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

PIZTJW Years ago a serious injury required surgery. As a result I was in a neck brace/collar for nearly three months. As such I could not move my head or neck, could not shave...even if I had wanted to. Guess what? Two weeks after my surgery one of the eldurrs made a point to "lovingly" chastise me for having facial hair and showing disrespect for Jehovah's house by attending a meeting with...a...GASP!...BEARD!

That is terrible. JWs are as bad as the Pharisees.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Within the past year, the Philadelphia Museum of Art had a special exhibit called "Rembrandt: Faces of Jesus." Thousands came to see it. It was quite a large exhibit of Rembrandt's drawings and paintings of Jesus' face. The show said that Rembrant was the first Protestant painter. To contrast the development in art history, the exhibit showed depictions of Jesus' face during the Middle Ages. It said some weird legend developed that an artist actually did a portrait of Jesus while alive. Under Roman Catholic rules, painters had to conform to this ideal. The template disappeared over time. If you deviated at all, you died. This is one reason why those Medieval paintings of Jesus give me the spooks.

Rembrant was not bound by Roman Catholic dogma. He lived near a large Sephardic Jewish settelement so he used actual Jews as models. His faces are softer. The difference is telling. I loved Rembrant;s depictions. So beard or no beard.

As far as beards go, I've read about them in civil rights and employment books. Many African American males have a condition that causes great pain when shaved. The law permits such men to have beards even if others are not allowed. I find it incredible that this has not been an issue in the Witnesses.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Me: "What's wrong with a beard?"

Elder: "Could you trust someone who wears a beard?"

How do you answer that?

Me: "I trust JESUS. He has a beard. And the scriptures teach that HE is in the "express image" of the FATHER. Most of the apostles, if not all of them, had beards, and I would trust THEM.... Under such circumstances, I would trust people with beards more than I'd trust people without beards. But, then, Judas had a beard, too, most likely. What about you, elder? Could you trust someone with a beard?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit