New Article on BEARDS and Attire of Jehovah's Witnesses

by jwfacts 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Interestingly the WTS does show others with beards in paradise. Take for example the picture on page 179 of the Jeremiah book. A resurrected Jeremiah and Baruch (I think) are shown with other protagonists in the book in paradise. They have beards. This is not uncommon.

So, you can have a beard if it was acceptable for you to have one when you originally lived. Unless you are a pirate.

Surely Jeremiah will have a position of responsibility in the new world. So it's alright for an appointed man to have a beard in paradise but not now?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Thanks for your article, Paul. This is always a topic that amazes non-JWs when I tell them. It's the same with women being forbidden to wear trousers or pants suits to meetings. It good to take the lids off these silly rules for the public to see.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It's interesting you also mention your time in TI and having to wear a tie. I lived in Cairns for a couple of years and it blew my mind that the brothers had to get around in the tropical heat witnessing in ties, when no one else in the whole city ever wore a tie, even all the business workers who were indoors all day. My boss wore a tie maybe on Awards night only! Yet when visitors came from TI they wore sarongs and shirts with no ties at the meetings. The tie is like the JW male burqua.

• krejames
    krejames

I was an MS in the UK and i wore a beard (still do). The elders said it was acceptable because it was well trimmed ( tho one elder did tell me another elder was anti-beards)

Incidentally I remember someone telling me that in illustrations throughout the 70s and 80s (and i think the Live Forever book might be a good example) evil people, those dying at Armageddon etc were often given a goatee.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

PO's course at Mill Hill bethel. The fella on the right has a beard so I guess it's OK!

• dozy
    dozy

Excellent article Paul.

When I used to get talk assignments for the assemblies , invariably the importance of not using anyone with a beard for demonstrations was mentioned - eg this assignment from 2009 (underlining is mine) :

Dress and Grooming –

Those giving talks should wear suits. If your talk calls for an interview or a demonstration,please do not use any brother who wears a beard and make sure your participants are aware of the importance of good grooming and modest dress. Please advise each sister that we do not wish to see splits or short skirts on the platform. A lack of consideration in this matter could disturb some in the audience and detract from the programme.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great quote Dozy, that is the most direct quote so far.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I know a reasonable number of MS with beards. We have one in out hall but the stick he got when he grew it was stupid. The COBE pulled him aside and accused him of being provocative. This was despite the body having agreed years before that a beard would not hold someone back. There are a few elders I know of with beards.

I think most congregations in the UK will have to eventually appoint someone with a beard as a MS if they are exemplary elsewhere. It is unlikely that one would be removed an MS for growing a beard but they will get stick. If you want to be an elder then you will have to have a pretty good excuse to have a beard.

No one will be used at assemblies, conventions etc with a beard. It will also reduce (probably wipe out) your chances of being used as an overseer on the RBC or other "privilages".

What congregations allow MS/elders to do if they have a beard varies based on anecdotal evidence. Some bodies don't care, other will not use a brother for certain talks.

The big obstacle for most brothers is that if they have a beard then elders ask them why they have one, why they are not prepared to shave it off for the sake of their brothers. The default position is that you are needlessly causing a stir therefore you are not spiritually mature ergo not qualified as an appointed man.

Muppets.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

PO's course at Mill Hill bethel. The fella on the right has a beard so I guess it's OK!

What about the guy with a sweater and no tie. I'm amazed he was not sent home with a naughty step letter.

• besty
    besty

the guy with the beard and the guy with no tie are definitely photo-bombers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit