How to accept the actions of the Old Testament God

by confusedandalone 113 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

Actually Tammy's response is a similar one I was going to raise:

My father uses this argument - the OT is for a large part the Israelites misrepresenting god on many occasions - and putting their own spin on things (perhaps attributing him to bad things that they did?). Basically, most things that are immoral in the OT are mans fault (even though they attribute it to god) and everything good is gods fault.

But when jesus comes into the picture its all gravy.

What kind of argument can I make against such a cop out of an argument? (bear in mind I can't just point out how ridiculous that line of reasoning is - as it is a religious fundementalist we're talking about)

Any help?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

your wueation is like the questions the pharsees asked jesus trying to trap him, and you know why. if i say yes than you wil say........ if i say no you say........ come on lets be mature and reasonable please. question not wuetion. i cant backspace on my phone

• Pyramid God
    Pyramid God

If you can't trust the old testament then aren't all the prophecies about Jesus that the JW love to talk about invalid?

Or the prophecies the new testament writers hijacked and tailored to fit Jesus I should say.

• tec
    tec

Please Tammyy tell me how do you know exactly which stories can be attributed to god and which to man. more importantly how do you know?

Christ... and Christ.

Christ reveals the Truth about His Father. God says listen to His Son; Christ says I am the Truth... if you knew ME, you would know my Father also."

How can anything that is in conflict WITH the Truth... BE the truth?

I know this from Christ... from God... and also from what is written.

Also, how is a god so powerful that he stops the earth from moving so his homies can win a war not powerful enopugh to ensure his letter to humankind is not tampered with to the point that it is full of lies.

God is spirit and speaks as such. He SPOKE to his prophets who spoke to the people (those words were written down... and errors could come into play... God even had one prophet WARN about the lying pen of the scribes, and Christ ALSO said... woe to you scribes, and teachers of the law)

For Dogs sake if he can strike someone dead for touching the ark why cant he do the same for the bible which apparently is far more precious

God did not strike Uzzah dead for touching the ark. Uzzah is one example I was thinking of in my post above.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Sorry Unstop that is beyond even Alan Turing to decipher.

• zound
    zound

Hold the press:

God did not strike Uzzah dead for touching the ark. Uzzah is one example I was thinking of in my post above.

So just to clarify - did christ/god tell you (in your special voice thingy) that the scribes got that one wrong, make a note in your margin that Uzzah WASN'T struck dead for touching the ark?

A simple yes or no would be sufficient.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

O my Dog this reasoning is insane.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"your wueation is like the questions the pharsees asked jesus trying to trap him, and you know why. if i say yes than you wil say........ if i say no you say........ come on lets be mature and reasonable please. question not wuetion. i cant backspace on my phon"

How is it like a Pharisee question??? How am I trying to trap you.

Moreso seems like the answer you want to give is not going to fit in with the image you are portraying... maybe you are confused. If god asked you the question you would not be so coy would you

• tec
    tec

O my Dog this reasoning is insane.

It is written in black and white, even if those of you who seek cannot (yet) hear the Spirit.

So why does it sound so alien?

Would that be because man does not teach truth, because man does not know truth, and most men are following other men, rather than Christ? So that man obscures the truth for himself and his fellow man? With religion and books and reasoning and theories, etc,e tc, etc?

Christ is the Truth. Christ is the Image and Word of God. "If you know me, you know my father also."

Black and white. Simple. Go to Him to know God.

There is nothing ANYWHERE that says... if you know the bible, you know God. If you know religion... you know God. If you know the OT... you know God. If you know the NT... you know God. To the contrary, many religions teach that you CANNOT know God. That God is a mystery, and that He is unknowable. So who are THEY listening to, that they teach this?

Christ says: "If you know me, you know my Father also."

May those who wish them, be given ears to hear this truth.

Peace to you,

tammy

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

you asking a what if question, one that would not happen. i trust god and know all his ways are good,i would not kill somebody like that of course, a what if question is very leading and is meant to trap a person alot of times. if you were rapist who would you rape first? and you have to answer that. is that not a trap?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit