How to accept the actions of the Old Testament God

by confusedandalone 113 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

How are we able to do this.

This is not an attempt to stir the pot or cause confusion but I was sitting here thinking of all the really horrid things that the Old Testament god did to people. When I was a JW i just purposely put it to the back of my mind always trying to make an excuse. WHen I was in field Service and someone would ask me about it I would just change the subject.

However I have been reading alot of info lately here about how wonderful Jesus is and how he is a direct representation of what god the father would be. However I see absolutely no way that one can really believe this in the deepest part of their mind. It really troubles me that it is never really andf fully explained by anyone. Then again I never tried to logically explain it either.

I have a neighbor around the corner who is a preacher and we talked, he told me that the Old Testament is not for Christians so he doesn't concentrate on the intricate details of a failed religion. This statement made no sense and I just got frustrated and began talking about needing a new water softener.

Anyway is there truly a valid reason to believe that the actions of the Old Testament God are in some way valid?

• SnailsPace
    SnailsPace

I'm looking forward to reading the comments here, because I certainly have none to offer.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Something tells me there will not be many. There just does not seem to be a logical way to explain the many barbaric laws and actions that were somehow viewed as fair and upright. I don't even want an acceptable answer I would jsut like a window into the thinking of someone that can justify these things. Personally I was just fine with ignoring the fact that it happened or I made excuses.

I would say the typical "Gods thougts are higher than our thoughts and Gods way are higher than ours". All the while knowing it was a copout

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Like you I put these horrible things (god ordering genocide, killing of babies, death penalty etc) just aside. As I became a father I couldn't do that anymore. So I studied a lot about it and came to the conclusion that the bible is not infallible and that the god there is just the tribal god of Israel and not the real creator.

I cannot believe anymore in such a god, ordering the cruelest acts everyone would be appalled if they happened today. My conscience doesn't allow that. I believe in a creator who is not graspable with our mind, unimaginable powerful and wise, who brought all natural laws into existence (and also the miracle for live to evolve) and gave freedom for all his works.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

The closest thing I've heard is, "how dare you challenge the actions of god?" haha

• willmarite
    willmarite

If a christian has an open mind he will have to agree that how Jesus described God is quite different from how God is represented in the OT. The problem is when someone takes the bible to be infallible. Then he tries to completely reconcile what Jesus said about God with Jehovah from the OT. This can not be done.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Remember that these books and laws were written by people of a different time. Many of the horrific customs are still in place in the Middle East.

Actually the ancient 'Isrealites' enacted and lived by these codes of conduct - including mass murder, slavery, discrimination, body mutilation, etc. - and used the 'god' as their authority.

If a group of leaders can use a divine authority to justify their actions, anything is possible.

ginger

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The atrocities committed by the Old Testament god is one of the first things that got me to think; not just about the JW religion, but about the credibility of the bible itself.

• cantleave
    cantleave

God's wisdom is above our own. What we may consider an atrocious act of inhumanity is in god's eyes an act of love - afterall god IS love.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Anyway is there truly a valid reason to believe that the actions of the Old Testament God are in some way valid?

confused,

you are only scratching on the very top surface of the subject that you are trying to understand.

if it doesn't make literal sense in the deepest part of your mind, its for a reason.

What you are reading in the old testament is metaphorical, symbolic. The extreme reactions of the 'God' of the old testament, are the reactions of MAN. Man can be very loving and caring, he can also be hateful and vengeful.

Remember this when you read the old testament and it will make a lot more sense to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit