How to accept the actions of the Old Testament God

by confusedandalone 113 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

the truth about Uzzah was given and shared by another person who belongs to Christ and hears Him

FFS!

• Laika
    Laika

Cofty, sure, that's why I said it was a conundrum, perhaps I should have wrote 'Jesus repudiated aspects of the old testament which encouraged violence and hatred' or something like that. Apologies for not being more clear.

• cofty
    cofty

Jesus repudiated aspects of the old testament which encouraged violence and hatred

Where on earth are you getting that idea from? Certainly not from the gospels.

• Laika
    Laika

Erm... the sermon on the mount?

• cofty
    cofty

There is not the slightest hint in the sermon on the mount that Jesus rejected a single word of the OT.

That is to read into the text that which cannot be read out of it.

Jesus was a 1st centry Jewish Rabbi not a 21st century christian.

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Zound... the truth about Uzzah was given and shared by another person who belongs to Christ and hears Him.

Translated: "It's not ME (TEC), but I know someone who told me the REAL skinny on Uzzah's death, heard from Jesus...."

LOL!

The age-old practice of adding words to the Bible continues, despite the heavily-ignored warning given by Moses, not to tinker with the Torah:

Deuteronomy 4:

1. And now, O Israel, hearken to the statutes and to the judgments which I teach you to do, in order that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord, God of your forefathers, is giving you. 2. Do not add to the word which I command you, nor diminish from it, to observe the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

And for the NT:

Relevation 22:18

18. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

The temptation must be HUGE, but how could someone have the unmitigated gall to do so IF they actually believed in the Word of God?

http://www.openbible.info/topics/adding_to_the_bible

Just mind-boggling....

TEC said- I already knew that man attributes killing to God, when deaths have come as a natural consequence to not listening to God, when He has only warned people away from harm. Like how people read 'eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad... and I will kill you'... when the account truthfully states, "eat from that tree... and you will die." Consequence. Not punishment.

That's about as convincing as the mafioso running a protection racket who warns about untoward things that might happen to the shakedown target's family, should someone fail to pay him for his "safekeeping" services (AKA extortion). He claims that whatever bad that happens to the target is not "punishment" for failing to pay, but merely as a result of "consequences". Puleeze, if anyone thinks extortion is moral and/or ethical, they need to take "Remedial Ethics, 101".

Adam

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Ex 23:20-21 Here I am sending AN ANGEL ahead of you to keep you on the road and to bring you into the place that I have prepared. WATCH YOURSELF because of him AND OBEY HIS VOICE. DO NOT BEHAVE REBELLIOUSLY AGAINST HIM, for HE WILL NOT PARDON YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS; because my name is within him.

As you can see above, and there are tons of other scriptures, it wasn't God himself always leading the Israelites. You see their they were warned that he was sending a bad @$$ angel who wasn't going to mess around.

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said- There is not the slightest hint in the sermon on the mount that Jesus rejected a single word of the OT.

Oh, contraire: Laika is correct.

Jesus repeatedly talked out of both sides of his mouth, claiming on the one hand that not a word of the Torah should pass away until Heavens and Earth pass away, but then he often undermined the basic principles found in the Torah, such as talking down "eye for an eye" and changing it to "turn the other cheek".

Jesus often preceded those attempts to rewrite the Torah by saying, "You've heard it said...." as if the 'Law of Moses' and Tanakh was mere hearsay which they might've heard about before....

From http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/

C. TORAH OBSERVANCE

The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The Torah states that all mitzvot (commandments) remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)

Throughout the New Testament, Jesus contradicts the Torah and states that its commandments are no longer applicable. (see John 1:45 and 9:16, Acts 3:22 and 7:37) For example, John 9:14 records that Jesus made a paste in violation of Shabbat, which caused the Pharisees to say (verse 16), "He does not observe Shabbat!"

Adam

• Laika
    Laika

Deut 19:21

21 Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Matt 5:38

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Sounds to me like Jesus was saying we shouldn't always follow the violence advocated in the OT.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

sooo... jesus didn't follow the bible. and luckily christians don't either. what's all the fuzz about that random collection of books again?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit