Goodbye JWD/JWN (my last post)

by slimboyfat 406 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Well it is easier to leave this forum than it is to leave the organization - and the ease of leaving - or returning - has nothing to do with "truth" but more to do with the exercise of organizational power and control.

Groups, in their many and varied forms, exert enormous influence over humankind's behavior. The JW organization is small fry in the larger scheme of things and its members and ex-members alike are even smaller fry still.

SBF may have returned to the "congregation" - but he will never be the same man he was when he first left 8 years ago. His thread outlining his recent attendance at the District Convention was the work of a man who is probably not going to be at peace regardless of where he parks his bum. We hanker for what makes sense to us and what makes us feel most authentically connected to others. And sometimes we do this doubts and all.

I cannot judge anyone for feeling drawn back, whether it be to JWs or some other organized religion. It is beyond reason, I think.

I valued SBF's contribution on this forum because he added a note of caution to eager predictions of the Watchtower's demise. Whilst alternative points of view are scorned within the organization, they find a place here, albeit an at-times uneasy place. Even "open" forums can be hard on dissenting voices, right?

A sober, if cautious voice has had the decency to say, "Goodbye" - and as with anyone who says, "Goodbye", reactions to it are varied.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

If this is for real, how incredibly sad. Goodbye my friend.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Eventhough I think it is a huge mistake to go back to a cultish lifestyle, I wish SBF the best and will certainly look forward to the day he will surely return.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Well, the leaving JWN thing, yeah I get that.

But "going back?"

If it's true, I doubt it would last very long.

Always enjoyed your posts SBF!

Best,

BOC

• Comatose
    Comatose

Good bye SBF. I will miss you a lot. Really enjoyed the discussions and perspective you have. I hope you get the messages and know we care and will miss you. All the best. Please just have a good life. Enjoy what you have. Eat good, drink nice wine, and find good friends. Best wishes.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Great shame on lots of levels if this is true.

I liked SBF's posts, especially on the topic of the demise of the WTS. We have lost several really good contributors over the recent past and it's a shame that another one is off.

Hope he comes back.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Someone once pointed out to me (while we were commiserating over the imperviousness of still-in JWs) that, "People who joined Jehovah's Witnesses for emotional reasons will not be influenced to leave for intellectual reasons."

For those of us saddened about the departure of our dear friend SBF, maybe we should reflect on the fact that, in his own story, he makes it clear that his decision to associate with and embrace the WTS was strictly an emotional reaction to other painful circumstances in his life, at age 13:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/137609/1/Let-me-introduce-myself-slimboyfat#.UmXbZHDEXOE

The kicker is that SBF has presented here for the past eight years as intellectually astute, though emotionally somewhat detached. He has expressed himself with substantive remarks up until he's asked why he thinks the JWs have the truth - then it is strictly a flat statement, devoid of supporting evidence.

I think this is an important insight for those of us wondering WHY the dichotomy of SBF. The answer is in the first sentence of this post. Emotional influence is often stronger than intellectual and vice versa. Maybe we just didn't expect this particular configuration from SBF.

P.S. Deep down, he is one of us - and there is no profile of "us" to fit, other than people who have learned TTATT, period. I hope he knows that he will be welcomed back here when he is ready, whether ten days, ten months, ten years.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Slimboyfat and Stand for Pure Worship sittin' in a tree.. K-i-s-s-i-n-g.. First comes love..

• d
    d

Please come back.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Your posts were always sincere, insightful, and honest :)

I guess it's the beautiful red head fine bit of stuff you met again and the last convention that has bewitched you back ?!? :)

Anyways be well and best wishes friend ......;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit