Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    What utter nonsense.
    You didn't think the matter was 'utter nonsense' two years ago. You offered an apology and acknowledged there was a 'very slight risk' which prompted you to remove the country identifiers. Or didn't you mean any of what you said back then?

You already describe the real problem - people posting too much personally identifying information in their posts. 

I don't believe anyone who has genuine and serious concerns about hiding their identity goes round posting things that reveal who they are.

As has already been pointed out, if members had been given notice, upon joining, that their country would be publicly displayed, those from smaller countries would likely have modified what they revealed about themselves. It's one thing for a poster to out themselves by being careless. It's another thing entirely for a forum to willfully display a piece of personal information that a poster wishes to remain private.

I have been on numerous forums over the past 15 years - both pro-JW and JW-critical. NOT ONE has required me and other registered users to publicly display location or country. It has usually been an opt-in system like on the old JWD.

I share EdenOne's anxiety - not just for myself, but for him and others from small countries who trusted this place and thought they could keep certain information about themselves confidential. 

I would be less concerned if the flags were not going to be applied to everyone's posts retrospectively.

If you are determined not to give posters the choice and have country identifiers displayed by default, can you only attach them to future posts and give due warning so that some of us will know not to post here any more under our current names? Can you at least accommodate us that way?
  • bohm
    bohm

It seems to me that it has polarized a small number of posters to the point of intransigence.

yah.. loaded language.. I love loaded language, it makes the argument so much better.

Simon started this topic to get input on the flag-feature. Now we are giving him our input and as best as i can tell the majority of posters on here support the idea that there should be an option to hide ones true flag -- exactly what the "small" group of so-called "intransigent" posters have argued all along. Do you feel this is somehow bad? 

• pixel
    pixel
    Bring it on!
  • Simon
    Simon
    You didn't think the matter was 'utter nonsense' two years ago. You offered an apology and acknowledged there was a 'very slight risk' which prompted you to remove the country identifiers. Or didn't you mean any of what you said back then?

Yes, I thought it was nonsense two years ago but made the mistake of pandering to you then. I learn from my mistakes.

If you are determined not to give posters the choice and have country identifiers displayed by default, can you only attach them to future posts

assume that flags will appear from now on. If you are not happy with that then don't post on this site..

• piztjw
    piztjw
    Simon said, "So, I think the country flag should be shown and the argument against showing it is weak. But I'd like to hear other people's opinions first.

So, what do you think?

Then proceeded to call people whose opinion didn't match his, foolish, paranoid, assholes etc.

Then finished with this bit of "wisdom",  assume that flags will appear from now on. If you are not happy with that then don't post on this site..

Well here is my opinion Simon. . .Screw you and your JW style jack-assedness!!! 

• Simon
    Simon

So you genuinely believe that if there was a country flag next to AnnOMaly's name that it would identify who they were?

• Greener
    Greener

Apparently Simon, you have already made up your mind about all of this? The vast majority who have responded here are against the flags. So what was the point of all this discussion. It seemed that there was a forgone conclusion. No one was going to change your view.

This is a completely arbitrary decision, and complete utter nonsense. You are morphing into the GB right here on this site. Shameful.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol the ultimate ex-jw insult:

"your acting like the GB!"

• Simon
    Simon
    Lol the ultimate ex-jw insult: "you're acting like the GB!"

Yeah, everyone else on the interwebs invokes Godwin's law and the comparison to hitler. ExJWs are special.

• Simon
    Simon

I am still waiting for a good example where the country transforms someone's anonymous posts (who could they possibly be?) into a big finger coming down from the sky pointing to their head!

The bjork example didn't cut it IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit