Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon
    Not sure if this thread is the best place to post this but I am receiving cookie requests from very strange sites when logging in like dmitry.com and pix.ru? What is that?

It sounds more like you potentially have some malware or else something todo with the captcha. Do you see where the request is generated from (dev tool - depends on browser but most will show what initiated the request and allow you to identify the cause)

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Being a national chatroom, we were all of the same country. Then, based on my work and general area I lived in (note: there were at least 80.000 people in that area), that person figured me out correctly from the yellow pages. I ended up having to change telephones, and ultimately, move.

Fortunately, my stalker is now dead.

Eden

• wallowindawn
    wallowindawn

http://i59.tinypic.com/10dia7q.gif

I don't have any male are or spyware. It's being set from here

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The flag next to a witness poster immediately narrows the list of possibilities.  In countries where there are say ??? witnesses, even just knowing you belong to a profession, say surgeon, narrows down the possibilities to a few dozen. See - I couldn't even post the NUMBER in my country.

How many witnesses in MY country have had - daren't mention it now.  Daren't mention that thingy about my mother. or my grandmother. or my brother. or my uncle, or the brother who did that thing. What thing? murder, rape, pedophilia? I can't say.

yes - I was naive enough to reveal little snippets here and there over the years. If I had been told my nationality would be revealed later, a lot of my contributions would never have happened.

Interestingly, the flag never appeared next to my posts - as I left the nationality field blank.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm with you, One Last Kiss, I think this thread is hilarious. Simon should seriously consider moving it to the Humour section! 

LUHE, former MS, from Darenth Valley congregation, UK.

Oh sh1t!  

• Simon
    Simon

I don't have any male are or spyware. It's being set from here

This site doesn't set any cookies from those URLs, The only cookies used are for:

• Session status (login) and preferences (page size, sort order etc...) plus flash messages
    • Google analytics
    • Ad display / preferences

It's possible that an ad you are seeing is linking to an external site (e.g. for an image) but I'm not seeing it. All I see are the cookies above.

Do you have any chrome extensions loaded? Worth checking - some have been found to track usage / make requests to other site. Load an incognito tab or disable them and see if you still get them.

• Simon
    Simon
    LUHE, former MS, from Darenth Valley congregation
    Oh sh1t!

It's OK, I removed the "UK" part so now you are 100% anonymous instead of being 100% identified.

• Greener
    Greener

Witness my Fury

What you wrote about the farm makes my point.

I CHOSE to give out that information on this forum. But I have not CHOSEN or CONSENTED to have displayed my country of origin. Its that principle of CHOICE that I'm driving at here, and that the moderator is choosing to change the rules as he goes along. He has the CHOICE to have this information displayed or not, or make it optional.

Is it so off the wall to have a reasonable expectation of privacy here, as reasonable as that can be on a forum such as this, if we choose to? When a layer of that privacy/anonymity is removed arbitrarily, it deserves push back. Especially so with the manner that this is being crammed down our throats.

When I signed up to this site not that long ago, there was no hinting at displaying flags etc. The moderator knew the new site would have this option months in advance of the actual switchover. It rings of dishonesty. His attitude the same. Some on here are also clearly very uncomfortable with the flags, and our claims are simply dismissed as paranoia etc. His claims of programming difficulties with making it optional have been debunked, by other posts. Eden makes a great point regarding flags and country of origin.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Not to play down or belittle the fears of lurkers (I remember how nervous I was all those years ago) but as a community we need to become less afraid and more willing to nail our colours to the mast.

The Watchtower Society need to hold much less relevance over our lives. If there is a price to be paid perhaps more of us should at least consider paying it.

Nicolaou - real name, Michael from Buckinghamshire in England.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I don't have an axe to grind either way on this issue, but I am sure that a lot of people will be watching the outcome and it will have an effect on future postings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit