Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    Scully
    I opted out of showing the flag on my profile in previous forum formats. I also opted out of showing my gender, although I've freely disclosed information that makes both my gender and country of residence clear. 
    I prefer to opt out of disclosing that information on my profile. If someone wants to attempt to identify me, they can bloody well work for it, by reading through all of my 13,000+ posts, rather than having it automatically served to them on my profile.

Damn right!

• QC
    QC

Bobcat, 

Run mouse over your avatar (or click on it), you'll see ALL posts (latest on top) and topics (latest to oldest). 

Navigate as you please.

It's pretty quick. 

You can also do a quick search by topic, key word or user (member).

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The possibility that the flag may be applied to PAST posts is terrifying, actually. Because some information shared makes little sense when the country is unknown, but if that shared info is combined with the clear display of the poster's country, things may take ugly turns. To me, it's a serious betrayal. Yes, I may choose not to post in the future, but to think that my past posts may be exposed to exploitation and nothing I can do about it, it's a freakin' serious issue. Please remember that.

If you must have flags, at least make them optional.

Eden

• Island Man
    Island Man

I like the idea of having to choose between having your real flag shown or a fictitious generic flag that does not identify a real country. I think that is a very good compromise and I fully support it.

The generic flag can have an icon on it that conveys the impression of being a fugitive of Watchtower in hiding to indicate that we do not want our location being known. Just an idea.

• coalize
    coalize
    The generic flag can have an icon on it that conveys the impression of being a fugitive of Watchtower in hiding to indicate that we do not want our location being known. Just an idea.

Yep! Like an irony, why not use the flag of the UNO ? It's already the flag given to the stateless person in exil proceduries!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    ^ LOL! I'm game.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

The "generic" flag option  sounds OK to me, and the UN flag, for the irony of it, would be a cool idea.

Eden

• Island Man
    Island Man
    Also, I can even see a kind of tradition or rite of passage developing, whereby whenever someone with the generic flag has fully extricated himself from Watchtower and is no longer afraid of or care about, being shunned or DF'd he goes into his profile and changes the flag from being generic to being his actual flag signalling to all that he is finally free, having fully escaped Watchtower's stateless "no part of this world" prison and rejoined the real world society of his homeland.
  • coalize
    coalize
    Also, I can even see a kind of tradition or rite of passage developing, whereby whenever someone with the generic flag has fully extricated himself from Watchtower and is no longer afraid of or care about, being shunned or DF'd he goes into his profile and changes the flag from being generic to being his actual flag signalling to all that he is finally free, having fully escaped Watchtower's stateless "no part of this world" prison and rejoined the real world society of his homeland.

I really like this idea 

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I can see both sides of this. When I first joined I was paranoid about anyone knowing I was in the UK. Heck I didn't even reveal my gender initially (hence Mickey not Minnie). 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit