Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I travel a lot! What happens if today I'm in Germany and post here? Does it show the German flag? What if Tuesday of next week I'm in Italy? Does it show the flag of Italy? If in each case it shows the country we're posting from at the time we post then I'd say we have a problem with an automatic country flag showing up beside posts, at least for those of us who travel. It's one more thing I'd have to think about before posting here.
  • Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

There are those of us who enjoy watching BBC, BB4 and British TV using "HOLA" Chrome Extension, as said by other posters it has nothing to do with some nefarious scam artist or spammer plot.  It only scatters your website making it look like your from the UK to enjoy TV that's blocked to USA users.  If you love French TV, BBC and other TVs your locked out of because the tool is great and does not promote some fraud scam artist thing.

Very few members on JWN (Who are wanting to remain in the Fold, Ex-JWs who are out, you are not stupid but very trusting and kind by helping people you think need help.  Realize their are Spammers and Posers, Simon is right.)  are stupid enough to provide their full numbers, real names and addresses 

I have high speed Internet on my Farm, there are ten people who live and share our high speed data, nine of them are members on JWN so that's one thing to consider!

Simon during Facebook's last CC, Advertisers were complaining they felt Facebook had too many spoof accounts and wanted Facebook to abolish many of them. Google used computers to generate many false hits, so did Yahoo, Websites are getting any pressure by Advertisers or you getting bugged by them?  

There has to be a reasonable amount of space those Ads appear on our screen.  Have you seen there can be up to 30 ads on one page, its lit up like a Christmas tree.  This causes people to use blocking tools, why can't their be a balance with a few Ads geared towards our needs and not some Flashing Christmas Tree that totally distracts from the JWN Experience?

I will remain loyal, a flag does not matter to me, you can put my State and County for all I care, I would like more peace on JWN, that would be nice!

• Dagney
    Dagney

As the site creator I see Simon has reasons for wanting to show the flag.  

Do they outweigh the chance of preventing a newbie poster from joining and the seeking help or counsel they might need as they are trying to navigate their feelings as they start to question the authority of the WBTS?   

I was so paranoid to join this site.  You think your relatives ("elder" brother here), or former friends are going to go on the biggest DB in the exJW world to find you.  In a discussion a few years ago my brother brought up things specific from the internet, so I know he was snooping around the exJW world.  I played dumb about them and reacted like they didn't matter to me.

Now with years under my belt I have shared where I live and am not so sensitive to being discovered.  But to me, anything that would prevent a newbie from seeking the assistance they so dearly need when in the middle of a JW family or mate issue is not worth it.  

The anonymity may be perception or delusion I guess to those in the tech world.  I don't know what a

VPN or other anonymizer.

is.  So I guess I shouldn't be allowed to post because I'm so dumb.  Maybe the focus of the DB is different from the early years.  That happens.  

I think it should be optional in the profile to be able to choose what you want revealed in one's posts.  .02. 

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98
    Dagney has a point. As a newer member, I am not far removed from the paranoia and fear induced by joining this site. Perhaps this should be a user-initiated add on, heh chap? 
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

I strongly object to display country information. While I understand the 'cool' factor, there are potential dangers. In the case of those still "in" who live in small countries with relatively small Witness community, that makes them sitting duck targets. In these small countries, everybody knows everyone, and it wouldn't be so difficult for a keen über-Witness with a witch-hunting tendency to take interest in some member just because he/she is from the same country and start investigating. It's a receipe for disaster, and a paranoia booster for those still "in" who have a lot to lose if they become exposed. Plus, it may be a deterrent for potential new members to join. Please think about the benefit / cost of such feature.

If you *must* have it, at least make it OPTIONAL, so that each member may enable / disable such feature from the user profile; and give the option to enter a more generic location, for example: North America / South America / Central America / Africa / Europe / Middle East / Southeast Asia / Oceania ...

Eden

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I don't care.

-TE 

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I haven't read all nine pages and probably wont', so if the discussion has degenerated into calling each other Nazis, well, I've missed it.

But, I want to say I don't think it's Simon's job to protect MY identity. If I blab too much, well, that's on me.

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006
    Makes no difference to me.
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

No problem here.

I just read over all the previous posts. Bottom line, don't share so much personal information that could be used to ID yourself IF you fear being outed.

Its an open/public forum. Anything you say can and will be used against you. :smirk:

• janusfulcrum
    janusfulcrum

Here's a thought.  Make the final decision encumbent on the results of a vote. A democratic process we were denied as JW's. 

It doesn't matter to me if my country flag were displayed.  I come from a mega country.  But my vote would be no, based on other's concerns. That's how a democracy works. We make decisions based not solely on our own concerns but rather on what we perceive is for the greater good of the whole, weighing risks and benefits.  I personally don't think the latter outweighs the former in this issue. 

To the polls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit