Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• bohm
    bohm

Rebel8: Ofcourse I do not know how the feature would be implemented. 

I do not understand how the flag will "give the WTS minions less places to hide", can you explain this?. Supposedly someone who were looking for e.g. icelandic apostates would register a throwaway account, not use it to post (it is apostate after all) and then snoop out icelandic posters and go over their posting history to find if they wrote anything revealing. I imagine he would be mostly interested in the members-only section. 

What is the best argument against giving users a choice to show the flag or not? 11 pages in and I cannot really tell what it is thought to be.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    I spoke to future posts in my previous comments, but I do not know if it is a fact that previous posts will be flagged with a country. Does the geolocator look for where you were and where you are when it adds the country flag to your posts? 

Yes. All the flags that appeared the last two times I saw them on this site were on every user's post back to year dot.

• bohm
    bohm

Ann: Sorry, the thousands of people I referred to was the number of posters on this site, i.e. brother snoop would know which posters posting history would be worth going over. But the numbers are quite interesting, with seven congregations, what sort of information can brother Bjork really write which would *not* identify him? it would have to be very limited and very vague. 

• bohm
    bohm
    As for this "only a few people are affected by this", this is by the very nature true -- however this was also true with respect to the whole AAWA/facebook thing. 
  • piztjw
    piztjw

why not raise the bar and make it more difficult for them

Certainly, let's all try to make things more difficult in any way we can. Already there are FIVE steps to even get logged on to this site. Perhaps along with adding information that makes it EASIER for some snoop to determine who may be here eight of ten more login steps could be added?

Sheesh, I thought I got off the JW style treadmill! 

• piztjw
    piztjw

That's a little insulting.

Unlike say calling people who don't want their country of location shown by the flag PARANOID?

• piztjw
    piztjw

If people have the choice then it negates some of the benefits:

"Dear possible spammer / scammer

Assuming that anyone who wants to have this small measure of anonymity by not displaying their country flag is a "spammer/scammer" is pretty paranoid, IMO!

• pontoon
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm fine with it.

I've mentioned I'm Canadian dozens of times; even mentioned that I'm in Alberta.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Vid: I've mentioned I'm Canadian dozens of times; even mentioned that I'm in Alberta. 

Ah Ha!!! Now I know exactly who you are ! The jig is up, my friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit