Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I live under the radar but I don't think that a Country of origin is going to help much to out me , if anyone wanted to. I am happy with it
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Ann,

Fair enough many may feel they have proof of being outed just because of the flag.

But I guessed where a poster was from without them wanting to reveal that information.

Being overly guarded is a bad trait. We need to learn to be open and trusting after WT, and live with the blessings it brings as well as the terrible consequences.

In some cases ones are just more private than others.

Kate xx

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon recognized that there was a very slight risk of somebody being outed by the country identifiers and that, because he took posters' privacy very seriously, the issue was quickly resolved, the flags removed and an apology given.

No, Simon was smoothing things over after some jerkwad made a big issue of a non-issue - literally trying to equate showing the country someone was from as being the exact same as pointing the world to someone's full name and facebook profile containing all their friends and family that they were really "an apostate".

It wasn't based on reasonable concerns, it was just some excuse to make another issue about something by someone determined to be a dick. All this crap and then I discover that it was YOU behind it all. That YOU were emailing everyone you could to recruit people to make an issue of things.

Thank you for that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Shirley - "Ah Ha!!! Now I know exactly who you are! The jig is up, my friend."

Meh, whatevs.

• bohm
    bohm
    Kate, seing tou have read my 5800 posts and determined i have provided no revealing details, perhaps you could just read everyones posts and determine for us all if this was a problem?
  • clarity
    clarity

It is 8:00am on the west coast of Canada.

1. The country flag may be exactly that ...... a flag, a spotlite!

(Suppose I was a  snooping  elder from Iceland.  I go to Jwn.  If I see someone with the Iceland flag, you bet I would go over his posting history with a comb.) (bohn)

2. The terrible fear of posting for the first time would have stopped me & probably a great many othershers if my flag would be posted by my name.  

One purpose of this site is to offer a safe, supportive place to discover the truth about the deceptive jw cult.  The huge fear of watchtower finding out that we are on an apostate site, was & is terrifying because it means losing our family & friends.  There is no reasoning with this fear.  It is real.is real.

3. To bring in the flag at this point after approx 14 years without any choice, is against the whole purpose of jwn.  I do not believe we can even take a vote on it because .........what about our precious members who vote no .......and must leave. 

I personally do not mind having a Canadian flag flying ......but some of our friends on here do!  Therefore, in all fairness & respect, I think it should definately be a choice.      

clarity

edit to say ... I personally do not mind now....
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ bohm: Kate, seeing you have read my 5800 posts and determined i have provided no revealing details, perhaps you could just read everyones posts and determine for us all if this was a problem?

I've already done it. It took me about two hours to do it but it got done.

Everyone's good to go, no dangerous information revealed from anyone. 

• KateWild
    KateWild

Bohm, no one else said they would leave.

You seem perturbed by the fact that I looked up your posting history.

That is my practice when people post on my threads....I look them up to see who I am talking to. I want to know more about the person giving me advice.

I also asked you straight out some personal questions and you answered me but did not reveal anything pertenant.

Trust me your girlfriend is safe from being exposed or stalked by elders.

Kate xx

• violias
    violias

SAY WHAT Kate?   Did you just go through bohm posting history and drag out something and post it for all to see?  Cause if you did, that is way tacky or perhaps threatening is the word I am looking for .

• KateWild
    KateWild

Violias,

You obviously havent read all my posts on this thread.

I make it a habit to research who I am talking to especially if they are giving me advice.

You would do well to do the same.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit