Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

It doesn't matter to me. I'm in the United States.

But I have to admit, even though it is a huge country, as Dagney brought out, I was terrified the first time I posted here.  I was so paranoid.  I doubt that exposing my country would have stopped me ... state for sure (at the time) ... some of these European countries are no larger than some U.S. states so I can certainly sympathize.  I think it is somewhat paranoid to think exposing the country would cause an outing, but newly doubting JW's are very paranoid.

• Listener
    Listener

If the flag is going to restrict what some posters would otherwise write it is not a good idea.  Also if it is going to help in some way to identify somebody it also is not a good idea.

It doesn't bother me personally but I would also vote no. 

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Fine by me...Let the Easter island flag fly. 

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I'm sure having a pretty little flag is fine for most people most of the time as long as they live in large countries with thousands of Dubs and don't live in, or occasionally post from, small countries where everyone knows everyone's business.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I havent read through all the posts ,so forgive me if this has already been suggested .

Could it be optional to have or not have the flag displayed ?

Otherwise I have no problem with the national flag of a country being displayed.

I could understand a persons objection if a locality , or even a state , prefecture or whatever were displayed but not a national flag.

smiddy

• pontoon
    pontoon
    Flag?.......OK with me.  Pontoon from Hudson Valley NY not far from Wat Farm
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

I can appreciate certain ones having a fear/paranoia of fellow Witnesses identifying them.

From a flag? Absolutely not, and definitely unreasonable to suggest it!

On the other hand, if you marry the flag and personal details you've unthinkingly submitted here, then you've narrowed the search area for people who could possibly identify you.

Problem is though, they'd have to tell your Elders that they were visiting an apostates web site and recognised you!! A bit suicidal!

Give us flags - adding a country's flag can't draw attention to any individual, unless of course you live in the Faroe Islands or the Falkland Islands have a different UK flag!

• galaxie 2
    galaxie 2

' different ' uk flag the uk has different flags for each of its countries. 

If the flag idea is used, would it show the ' country ' flag or the union flag? Just an aside.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    adding a country's flag can't draw attention to any individual, unless of course you live in the Faroe Islands or the Falkland Islands have a different UK flag!

These are the types of flags we're talking about! There are posters on here, active and fading JWs who come from small countries who have come here for support and have said they do not want to reveal their country.

Last month, on this .com site, the flags of those small countries were displayed next to the very posts on which these members said they didn't want to reveal their specific country!

As I said before, one of these posters is a 'still in' JW with JW family and is in a country with fewer congregations than you can count on one hand. That person commented about how great it was to have found this forum and to be able to talk freely. I doubt that person would have talked so freely (or even joined at all) had they known that their little country would be on public display.

As it stands now, it will be a gross disregard for that person's anonymity and privacy to re-introduce the country flags against their express wishes.

If only ONE person is outed as a result of having their country's flag displayed, how can this forum stand on higher moral ground than AAWA during the FB fiasco?

Marvin Shilmer also raises a good point about those who post while traveling. Again, displaying country identifiers gives snoopers extra information about a person that they have no business knowing.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I am all for it. It's cool to know there are others of like mind in your same country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit