Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• bohm
    bohm
    Rebel8: but do you agree this is then limiting what these people can discuss as well as not solving the problem of information revealed in the past?
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If new accounts had a probationary period and had to have it (among other things), and after that it was optional (as well as for the existing accounts) then that would sort the spammers and trolls and keep most others happy, but be a pain in the ass for yourself obviously. :D

Me? I dont care if people know I am from the UK, or Wales for that matter, but any more specific than that and I get nervous.

• bohm
    bohm

If scammers is an important concern, how about displaying the post count more prominently? Scammers can use proxies too.

• QC
    QC
    paranoia here is quite remarkable
  • Simon
    Simon
    Canada and the USA are vast oceans for a little fish to hide in.

Actually, Canada is only large geographically. People-wise it's half the population of the UK. Manchester has a larger population than Alberta which is about 3 times the size of the UK.

This is supposed to be a safe place to express ourselves in anonymity while we work through and make sense of our doubts, our grief, our anger, our liberation.

It is a safe place and my intention is to strengthen the level of trust and make it harder for people to be 'fake'. The point I was making is that there is a difference between not sharing information and sharing false information.

You are only looking at things from your point of view - you want to tell people a fake story of where you are which I can only presume is to allow you to "be trusted" and join in. I don't see why you should be allowed to do that - those people have some rights and expectations too - they should know if your claims don't match or if you are saying one thing but covering up the facts (both information to base their own choices on for their own protection).

If you are not able to share information due to your circumstances then you should not share it which is different to making false information up IMO.

Again, all we're talking about is the country that someone is from.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"If you choose to post things that identify you" EXACTLY!!

YEEEESS  - but that was before you decided to pull the rug from under me.

The truth is THAT my national flag was NEVER posted in the old days.

• bohm
    bohm

Wmf: Newbies are typically both the most paranoid and the most likely to write a long story with some personal information.

Story goes up, newbie sees flag, newbie not happy.

• Simon
    Simon

OK, I've had enough ... I'm going to out myself.

"I'm Simon, and I am Canadian*"

There, I did it. Now everyone knows exactly who I am.

I will await the WTS knocking on the door to take me to the internment camp.

* it didn't even identify Joe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

• bohm
    bohm

Simon: look, I see what you want to accomplish and I think it is a good thing. Nobody want to put up a fake flag, just have the option to help to hide it.

I cannot  get into trouble if my identity is revealed, but my girlfriend will. That's why we agreed not to have the country on here. I have even asked you to remove it once when someone posted it from a pm and you did.

• Simon
    Simon
    YEEEESS  - but that was before you decided to pull the rug from under me.
    The truth is THAT my national flag was NEVER posted in the old days.

I think you are deluded !

Really? You think that there are things you posted that if only someone plugged in the missing piece of "country" then BAM - you're secret is out, the world knows you're Bruce Wayne and which cave you park your bat-mobile in.

As I've already demonstrated, anyone can already plug that information in. US, UK, CA, AU. Are you in that list? Anyone can plug that info in. The WTS could send what they know to their death squads in each country saying "are they one of yours? all we're missing is the country". Or are they sat muttering "damn, if only there was a way of finding out the country? But there is no way to guess which one it could possible be ..."

The fact is you have either already identified yourself OR you are overhyping the value that the country code would provide to someone to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit