What is your Totem Animal?

by Hyghlandyr 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I think I really am a wolf...ironic that Andy got a wolf tattoo just a couple of months ago.

Wolf-- Teacher of skills, loyalty, independant but likes others, strong willed, easy to anger, holds a grudge
    I'd be lying to say that I'm none of the above.

Beck

ps...lol@Refiners

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Teejay

I am absolutely serious about the totem stuff. But I should clarify some things.

A totem is nothing more than a symbol. It is not just a symbol of animals. You can have a totem plant, a totem stone, a totem element, a totem note(as in a song), any sort of totem you choose, or that chooses you.

Your family can have a totem, your nation can, your tribe can, your school can. Anyone, or any group can have any sort of totem that they choose, or that chooses them.

Now for non-believers in spirituality or mysticism, the totem is simply something that appeals to them on any level. Some animal for instance, which has qualities, that they desire to emulate. A good example of this would be the Bald Eagle as the emblem of the United States of America. Because this is our totem, it is almost purely symbolic. It does not usually cause people to run around immitating eagles as a result of this choice. Nor does the American Bald Eagle emblem on anything of our armies, usually cause fear to be struck into the hearts of people. The Nazi Swastika is an example of another sort of Totem, symbol, which carries a sinister power because of their careful propoganda.

Now, for those that believe in mysticism there are varying degrees of Totems. For me, I am a shape shifter. I am a badger. I always have been. My body does not change form. I do not grow fur, claws, teeth. I do however change physical form in other ways. My fingers 'claw up' my natural fangs are beared. (Which is one of the reasons I have not had a huge desire to have my buck teeth 'fixed') My brow furrows, my nose wrinkles. My gait changes if I am running. My senses are different, my eyes more focused on the thing of my obession of the moment.

A physical shift of this nature, can, like the rest of my shifts, be brought on by circumstances or by concentrated effort. Usually it is entirely outside of my conscious control. My wife, of course would not have sex during her cycle. Many times I have said to her, that her cycle is over. She has insisted it is not. But I am able to tell by her scent, her pheremones. When I persist that she should check, and she does, she always, each and every time, has found she is over her cycle.

Most of the time I walk around a badger, which is why you are able to see me react so quickly in these rooms, and write so much. I move fast, I attack directly. I do not hide, I do no retreat. But I will avoid those that are not in my path. And I love to find other badgers who have the same skill and fierceness as I have, but from a different world view. I would love to find an equal. I say not from bragging but from experience, that, thus far, none have been able to match me in a direct face to face confrontation of words.

Perhaps a way to help explain totems, a drui will often carry a small stone with him. When he approaches a situation in which he can react from emotion without much planning, he will clutch the stone, and shift into a stone. He slow to the time of the stone, and its language, in a purely mental shift. And ask himself how a stone will react. The answer of course is always, s....l....o...w...l....y. I myself use a set of those chinese balls that are rotated in the hands. I have a dragon set, panda set, and pure metal set.

Wolverines are related to badgers by the way. A person may have several totems. Often those who have several will find it far easier to shift into those forms than other animal forms.

Is there any harm to picking the wrong totem? Well it depends on how serious you are about totems. If it is a passing fancy, or something you look at from a purely pragmatic/artistic stand, then probably not. If you take it very seriously, if you travel on the astral or ethereal planes, if you shift seriously, feeling the feelings and living the life of that animal, if you are attempting to be around others of your animal form, and you choose those of the wrong totem, if you look at totems and shifting as something as real as a christian looks at Jesus and heaven and the cross, unquestioningly, then there could be harm.

I myself fall in between. I am like you an analytical thinking. I use spiritual language to describe my emotional thought processes. I use such language because often purely logical language does not fit how I feel. I could use poetry, but I prefer my current style of writing. I am not attempting poetic metres or rhymes or appearance, unless it strictly fits the moment. I do use such in chat often, in order to evoke a certain mood.

I have travelled the astral and ethereal and other planes. I have been to Tir ná mBan, The Summerlands, Land of Youth, The Matrix. I have spoken to Bridh and fought with and alongside her. I have eaten with Cu Chulain. I have swam with Marie. I have seen faith healing. I have spoken in tongues. I have been baptised in the holy ghost and in fire. I have shape-shifted, read auras, and projected.

But, I do not believe in any of these things. Rather than dismissing them as non-existent as many others do, or questioning the experiences of others, I simply accept them. It is my opinion that they are the result of any number of a combination of things. Mass hypnosis. Delusions. Fantasy. Heightened emotions. Chemical imbalances. Natural abilities of the body (such as in faith healing). Art. Dreams.

In the post about the celts, the writer that I quoted states that there was no line between reality and fantasy for the celts. I have stated I am as happy dreaming about something, as living it. Which accounts for my pleasure at remaining on my couch 80% of the time. I can adventure without having to break a sweat.

Which is why I am able to meld both of these. Because I do not believe in any of them. I wont dispute others claims, but it is my belief they are believers in fantasy. Because fantasy is pretty cool, I dont mind believing in it myself. As long as I know it is fantasy. Thus my fascination with lucid dreaming. The ability to dream, recognize it is a dream, and then control the dream.

So summarizing all of that. If you realize that the totem is either a symbol, or a lucid dream, then there is probably no harm from picking the wrong totem, as there probably is no wrong totem. If you believe these things to be absolutely flesh and blood real, well then, like those who hear god speaking, picking the wrong totem is the least of your troubles...

As to your totems, if you got a rush that the wolf was your totem go with it. I doubt it will harm you much. And each of the other animals you mentioned, Water Buffalo, Sharks, Peregrine Falcons, and all of the cats are of course fine totems. Any animal is. You sound pragmatic. I am also, though I am very emotional as well. I say simply trust your instincts. As I said I stray away from someone suggesting a totem. But, if someone did and it felt right in my gut, I would just go with it.

Thanks for posting that site and the quotes from it. You are smack on with the Astrological signs and the Chinese Animal Signs. There are things in every animal that each of us could relate with. Also in each society different animals have different symbolism. In western culture snakes are shunned as evil, thanks to a great misunderstanding of the astrotheological story of genesis by the christians who literalized the obvious metaphors there. Whereas in indian culture snakes are protectors and defenders of good, destroyers of evil.

With that in mind, and following everything I said about my lack of belief, belief. I say the same thing I said earlier. Choose whatever totem you feel fits you, whether over a time period, or something that hits you in a moment of epiphany. And go with whatever symbolism works for you.

Beck Melbourne

Hahaha, I love it! We could have a dog/badger fight sometime. Broads make great fierce animals. Grrrrrr.

PeaceLoveHarmony

I am glad I am not a dog...I think a turtle makes a great metaphor of your name here. And that is all a totem is, a metaphor. No different than gods and goddesses are metaphors.

Refiners Fire Totally cool man, I love wombats. Now I am going to have an interesting picture of you, along with that greenman pic of yours.

RedHorseWoman

I was projecting this afternoon to you, requesting your participation in this thread. I can only guess that you got that. I knew the horse would be a totem of yours. The Cat was something I should have expected. Frog, turtle, and owl, interesting, and the Dracken, coool.

Kep If you like the big cats, we are definitely going to get along...

• LB
    LB

peaceloveharmony do you have a pic of your turtle tattoo??

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

lb, i do. i've got to load it on eframes.com since webphotos sucks now :)

hang on....

hygh, we agree. turtles are my symbol, my personal me thing. i hope more share what their totem means to them or how they came about it, it's interesting reading :)

oh and i got over my dog thing, we've made peace lol

• LB
    LB

Awesome, I've decided to get a turtle tattoo myself. I wanted something to do with the ocean. I thought a shark might be a bit too macho, but a turtle would be just about right.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

PeaceloveHarmony, yes I hope more post, not only what their totems are but what they mean to them. This is very exciting for me to read and discuss. I must sound like a little kid to yall hehe.

LB Yeah turtles are great, and that sea turtle you posted was awesome. When you get the tat give us a pic of it?

As I work on my tat I will post updates here. I will discuss that in another thread sometime because it is only partially related to my totem, but also my art and my family line.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

okay, here's my first tatt :)

and here's my arm band. i got this tatt instead of my tongue pierced. did the tongue later :P

• LB
    LB

I like them both harm. Thanks for going to the bother of putting them up. I'll get my tat in the next month or so. Have to save up for that bottle of Wild Turkey first.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Cool tats PLH...I really like the band. I was going to get a celtic band but it isn't really part of my culture or history. So my younger brother is designing a tribal pattern in harmony with our family history. I was going to have it on my arm like a band...but I'm thinking about putting it on my upper thigh...I don't wear short skirts to work so it won't be seen...but it will be a reminder of who I am.

Hyghlandyr: I doubt that this wolverine would dare take on such a badger as yourself. I know when I'm beat...so why make a fool of meself I say. You have knowledge and experience that far exceeds my own...and I'm not too proud to say so. I have heard of people having experiences and abilities as you have described...I'm in awe of it all. Your enthusiasm is cool...and your description of your own totem animal makes perfect sense. For myself...I would much rather have been a soft and smoochy creature lol...rather then an aggressive beast...but hey...we are what we are I have no doubts that my totem animal is the Wolverine...I can feel it in my bones if that makes any sense. There are other things that make me think this also.

Teejay: Yours was the wolf too?? Interesting!!

Beck

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I didn't take any tests, maybe later...right now I'm too hungry and I’m going to go out to eat.

But I have since childhood had a fascination for wolves. I have collected them (artifacts) for many years and have studied them also for many years. I have also adopted two and support their return to the eco system. Never been afraid of them.

I also have a fascination for Mata rays. They are incredibly loaded with personality. Something I would have never expected.

I think the Horse is the most beautiful and regal of all.

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit