What is your Totem Animal?

by Hyghlandyr 79 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

Teejay: correct, of course! Woodland Encounter, by Bev Doolittle, my favorite artist. She commented about the painting, "I wanted to see how many rules I could break. For example, we habitually see the forground of a picture first, then the middleground, and finally the background. I wanted to reverse the process, to get the viewer to see the background first and the foreground last.

"To do so I decided to place a bright object, a target for the eye, in the very center. Of course, you're not supposed to center things, so as long as I was breaking that rule, I decided to take it a step further. With the fox in the middle, I divided the painting in half. I centered an Indian in the left half of the painting and put the other Indian in the exact center of the right half. The next step was to choose a landscape that was distracting enough to make it fun for the viewer. I chose a landscape in the Rockies, where the trees look two-dimensional, almost like wallpaper."

I own three of Bev's signed prints, "Music in the Wind", "When the Wind had Wings", and "No Respect". As time goes on I'll own several more. Her work is breathtaking.

My current image icon to the left of my posts is a Bev Doolittle painting, too. It's called, "Escape by a Hare".

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• COMF
    COMF

No Respect!

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• teejay
    teejay

Joel, out of respect for you, I will not reveal to the board what your mother and father’s totems looked or smelled like. We’ll just let them guess!
    -----------------------------------------

Hyghlandyr,

Are you serious about this totem stuff? Really?

Tell me: Is there any harm in picking the ‘wrong’ totem? If so, what? I took the quiz Gozz pointed to. I was pumped to find that mine was the wolf. I guess you know I’m pissed to find that the quiz was rigged. Wolves are cool, but so are foxes. I like them both. I also like wolverines (pound for pound one of the fiercest animals alive) and water buffalo. And sharks. And peregrine falcons. And all of the big cats. Does a person get only ONE totem animal?

Seeing how I don’t trance or turn the TV on for no reason; I don’t hallucinate late at night or receive illusory visits from the animal kingdom, how does a logical, analytical thinker such as myself come to know their totem animal?

Ya know... it’s funny but this reminds me of a conversation I had not long ago where I asked a fellow poster (Shelby) how one got to talk to god or even hear that one’s voice. In 40+ years, I haven’t done either of those, either.

Thanks.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I did the quiz..I'm a wolf..but I don't feel that is right...should'nt I be a dingo instead? I don't want to be a dingo...they remind me of Meryl Streep. I want to be an American Pitt Bull Terrior

Beck

• teejay
    teejay

btw, Hyghlandyr,

At http://www.arcanamatrix.com/furpeople/totemcor.htm I found something interesting. Much like astrological signs and the Chinese animal signs, the attributes of totem animals are generally positive in nature.

While Badgers don’t relate well to others they are self-reliant; a teacher rather than a student, has earth knowledge

Bee-- Hard working, social, follower, communitee oriented, can be obsessive

Dolphin-- Harmony, joyful, swift, passionate, meditative, likes company, keeper of self

Eagle-- Illumination, majesty, adeptness, potency, power through knowledge, often arrogant and self assured

Fox-- Clever, subtle, agile, swift, uses discretion, not outgoing, willing to hide

Rat-- Can adapt to anything, quick witted and hard working, scavenging when needed, likes luxury

Wolf-- Teacher of skills, loyalty, independant but likes others, strong willed, easy to anger, holds a grudge

I find that as with astrological signs, I have similar characteristics with every of these.

What’s the use of a totem animal?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

The Wombat.
    Eats roots shoots and leaves.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

here's the story behind me and my turtle thing :)

i was 18 and about to get my first tattoo. i had no idea what i wanted, just knew i wanted a tattoo. so i'm flipping thru all the pics and i notice this cute little turtle with a sunflower like shell. i look some more but i keep coming back to the turtle. after 30 minutes or so, i am now the proud bearer of a cutsy turtle on my back. cool :) well, because i think too damn much(usually after the fact, act first think later), i started pondering my choice of body art.

well, first off, i'm not much like a turtle, i'm not slow or plodding. i tend to zing around and do things fast. go go go. thrive on stress, can't sleep sometimes cuz i can't shut down. turtles remind me to slow down a bit and live in the moment. enjoy the sunset or the sound of rain in the morning.

and then there is their shells. how cool is that? you get scared and in two seconds you are in your comfy shell, all safe and sound :P i like to think i've got a decent shell, a decent defensive mechanism.

i don't really think the turtle is my totem animal because i don't believe in totem animals and stuff but i am drawn to turtles. and i've assigned certain feelings and thoughts to them. i got a second tatt of turtles in a row around my arm. i get turtle necklaces and turtle knickknacks and turtle stuffed animals from my friends. a constant reminder to slow down and take it easy :)

okay does this make any sense? haha

-harmony

ps. i had a turtle when i was young. he lived in our kiddie pool. one morning i went out to see him and he was dead. the next door neighbor's dog killed him. i didn't like dogs much after that :P

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

There are two permanent ones....horse and cat. I have the most affinity with these.

From time to time, there will be others that may come for a short while. In the past, there have been frog, turtle, and owl....occasionally Dracken.

• Kep
    Kep

Mony, the turtle tat sounds cool.
    I was the same with Panthers.
    I've always had a thing for them. As a result I got one on each arm.
    Yet I'm not one for cats around the house eewwww!!!

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I'm an EAGLE:

Your totem animal is the EAGLE. You may find that these regal birds appear in your dreams. If they haven't yet, look out for them as from now - as they're trying, by example, to teach you a thing or two. You're a brisk, efficient and strong person: you aim to be one of life's high-fliers and don't stand for any nonsense from anyone. You're not into money and are probably creative, mystical and have a genuine interest in other people's lives and cultures. You're a cool, nonjudgmental, broadminded mate - and much in demand because of it! In life, you're destined to travel and to heal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit