breakup guilt

by fresh prince of ohio 92 Replies latest social relationships

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I recently broke up with my girlfriend of four years.

She is 40 years old, with health problems, financial problems, little family/friend support, and facing an uncertain future. I gave her some money.

The guilt I am experiencing right now is absolutely anguishing. She had very, very high hopes about our relationship and loved me very deeply. She is an intensely emotional person, I would give her an armchair diagnosis of having major depressive/borderline tendencies. I just never loved her the same way she did me, although I did come to care for her.

I felt like I was her protector, in some ways, her savior in this cruel and unforgiving world. So there was this whole existential aspect of the relationship.

I fear that she may lose all hope and decide to end her life.

She had me on this PEDESTAL. It was like, she was so amazed that I was ever in a relationship with HER. So, it never felt like a meeting of equals. And now that I've left her, her interpretation is that she's been rejected cold by the most wonderful amazing man in the world (i'm really not all that).

She is reasonably intelligent in most respects, but has a certain naivete about things that doesn't serve a single woman living in a big city very well.

She has deep-rooted self esteem issues, had a traumatic childhood, and has a horrifying existential fear that 'nobody will ever love her'. Thing is, I DID love her. And she has people in her life who DO love her. But I loved her more in a friendly, caring way that comes with knowing a person over a long period of time.

The relationship became quite toxic towards the end, with lots of fights. I found her exhausting to be in a relationship with - she was always having some kind of crisis. The resentment and tension built up to the point where cruel words were spoken by me to her on more than one occasion.

One of the biggest challenges i had all along was that I didn't find her sexually attractive. At least not very much. We did have sex, but usually only once every couple of weeks. Always initiated by me. She wasn't capable of spontaneous displays of affection towards me - just too fearful and nervous. I think the lack of sexual attraction was because she just never carried herself with any confidence or verve. On our first date, I walked into the restaurant and saw her (we met online) and she looked at me with this fearful expression, which was an expression that i became all too familiar with and exhausted by over the years. I learned later that she was certain that I was going to take one look at her and turn around and walk right out, if that tells you anything about her confidence.

Anyway, I don't know what more to say. I feel like I may end up going back to her, even though I know how unhappy I was in the relationship, especially over the past year. But the guilt and anguish I'm experiencing over leaving her is just too much.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Tough situation, but you did what you had to do. Don't look back, look forward.

Confidence is a sexy thing, its absolutely draining to be with a person that lacks the skills or even the mindset to go out and make their way in this world. You can't carry someone around on your back for the rest of your life, from what you wrote it sounds like it was best for both of you.

• losingit
    losingit

You need her just as much she needs you. In other words, you *chose* to be with her even though you gave her that fearful look. Why did you stay even after that initial contact? If you go back, you have to be honest with yourself about the dynamics of the relationship on YOUR part.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

losingit, yes, i'm well aware of the dynamic that played out in the relationship. It was that dynamic that eventually burned me out and made me realize, this isn't what I want. I can't save her. I can't be everything for her. I can't rescue her. I can't carry her. I can't protect her from every nasty thing in the world. I want someone who holds me accountable, who meets me as an equal.

She comes from a family where her mother didn't work and was completely dependent on her father. I also come from a family where my dad was in a totally dominant position. I've learned a lot about myself from this relationship. At her expense, to a certain extent. But I think she learned from it too.

Just a sad situation all around.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

She's an adult. She'll survive. Staying with someone that needy would drain you completely. Better for you to end the relationship and possibly find someone who could be a more equal partner.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

thanks hortensia. i certainly hope so.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

FreshPrince , You are between a rock and a hard place.

There are so many ways to part.

If you put the onus on you, that it is not her fault, but yours, you will be doing her a favor, so she is not thinking, what did I do wrong?

I would suggest, to be as honest with her, as you can be, without further hurting her feelings.

Tell her you have enjoyed the 4 years with her but you have been wanting to leave for some time, actually for more than a year, but you did not know how to do

it without hurting her feelings. Had she noticed? Say, Honey, it is time for me to move on. That's all there is to it.

Give her a final hug, and a kiss on the cheek and then adios.

Just Lois

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You are as important as she is. Your feelings are as important as hers. Life is too precious to waste years with someone who isn't the one. She deserves someone who loves her immensely. It would be cheating her for you to go back to her. It would be cheating you. Therapy could help her probably. The healthier she is, the healthier the men she will attract. She won't need an unbalanced relationship anymore.

• caliber
    caliber

Never be in a relationship without love or if the person cannot love you faithfully and with someone whom you don't see a future together. If you were unequal partners this should have been self-evident from the start

Relationship are built on different foundations... but the ones that last are built on trust and
    and honest open conversation .... unbreakable bonds can only endure where both come to fully embrace each other's being unconditionally.

To create a relationship that feeds your spirit, you must open yourself up, become vulnerable, be a child in awe and fear.

......having failed to do this you still owe her honesty, NOW. I have heard it said "never give yourself fully always hold something back"

this is asking for trouble and shallow feelings. Living a lie...... is still lying of the most hurtful kind

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your ex sounds like my mom. My dad finally left her after a twenty year marriage. He timed it to do the least damage to the children and to mom. He also was generous in the divorce, making sure she had a fairly secure future. She hated him anyways for daring to leave her.

By the way, my dad picked winners since. I lost my first stepmom to cancer a few years ago, and dad was true to form, loyal and at her side to the end. He's the kind of man a woman dreams to have beside her through the hard times.

My new stepmom is also wonderful in her own way, and dad so deserves her.

I know dad still worries about my mom, and I am sure there is some residual guilt. So I let him know briefly how she is doing these days. Funny, he reminds me that I owe her nothing either.

Mom is too much of a survivor. She promptly found someone else to take care of her.

I wish you all success in finding a genuine partner to enjoy your life with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit