Does Anyone Remember the "Around The World Assemblies"?

by titch 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I was at Pasadena in 1963. My pregnant bride and I drove there every day from Riverside, about 50 miles east. That was before the I-210 went out beyond Ontario, so those 50 miles in our '52 Chevy coupe was a long hard drive. I believe the convention started on Wednesday and ended late Sunday. I may have attended one more district assembly after that (in Pomona at the LA Fairgounds; my wife was baptized there), but then I began my fade.

As described earlier, the Rose Bowl sits in the Arroyo Seco (gulch), and during the summer afternoons it is like a crockpot. No breeze, direct sun. I remember that the speakers platform had big movable fans and, of course, a large tent roof to provide shade. But with their suits on and the temperature in the mid-90s, that place was hell on earth. My wife was so sunburned that she peeled for weeks afterward and her poor nose was blistered. We were both wearing aviator sunglasses of the time, so both looked like reverse raccons for several weeks after.

I did volunteer. Of course, being a fit 19-year old they had me moving heavy trash cans from the tent cafeterias. Unlike previous conventions like the ones in New York in '53 and '58, we were not allowed to remain in the cafeteria tents that had a bit of shade and some airflow, but were required to return to our seats in the bowl. My wife was 6-months pregnant, so she managed as well as expected, but every night on our way home (the sessions went on past 9 PM) I was worried about her because she was so uncomfortable and dehydrated. Bottled water was a rarity in those days, so most of us carried thermos bottles which just added to our load.

Nathan Knorr was possibly the most boring speaker ever. Franz and Covington were superstars compared to him. So the Sunday afternoon talk was always hyped to the max, and was ultimately just another boring public talk using the same boring scripts. "The World is about to learn the truth. The time is short. Castro in Cuba may be the catalyst that sets off WW3 and brings on Armageddon. Are you ready? Are you pioneering? Are you serving in the highest capacity you can? Better be ready - cause Armageddon is just around the corner."

I may have attended a couple of days at one of the first Dodger Stadium conventions, and I did go to Candlestick Park in San Francisco (I believe that was 1962). But for the most part, I was already thinking about my total escape which I finally accomplished sometime around 1968. My favorite International Convention was 1958 NY in both Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds. But that was not my favorite because I was enthralled with the assembly, but rather my first real look at New York City's sites up close and personal.

JV

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi Juan, That was very difficult for your wife being 6 months pregnant, in that heat..................... The Society made it mandatory that we must attend..................... Then they stick us in a hot snake pit. Not very nice AND we are all the ones that have to pay for it, health wise and out of the pocket, and vacation time............... And they say "Foolishness is tied up in the heart of a boy". Well, boy oh boy, those Conventions WERE foolish. They were formal indoctrination sessions.............................. I enjoyed New York too, in 1958. I was 9 years old. I really liked the Harbor Cruise and going out to the Statue of Liberty........................ Candle Stick Park Convention in San Francisco was in 1961. That was when we received our new NWT green Bible....................... I am glad you were so smart and left decades ago...................Just Lois

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hey Designs,........................... Do you have any pictures you would like to share?

• designs
    designs

Lois- I'll check, I had most pics on slides which age and crumble.

JV- I sympathize about your wife. At Dodger Stadium, Peace On Earth, a young pregnant woman collasped in the parking lot late at night. I held her in my lap while the friends tried to get help.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, as a thirty-something, I can only experience these legendary five- and eight-day assemblies vicariously. JWs sure have softened up! Nowadays you always hear them expressing appreciation that the third day of the district convention ends earlier in the afternoon (~3:30) than the previous two days (~5:00). Imagine the GB today trying to get the rank and file to go anywhere for five, let alone eight full days! Even they're not that crazy!

• St George of England
    St George of England

@mouthy - Sexual connotations indeed!

Evidently I had a sheltered upbringing.

George

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes Sir George I guess you did. I didnt

• Glander
    Glander

The Rose Bowl was like a giant solar oven

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

If everyone in the audience held up a mirror at the right angle, they could have immolated the speaker. Or at least set his shoes on fire as a warning if his talk went long.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LOL Apog, you would have to be there to fully appreciate these marathon DCs. The funny thing is I really looked forward to them once I was old enough NOT to be taken out for a beating. The experience made me feel special as though this giant group of people and I were going to start something new and amazing-the New world! When all you know as a kid is this way of life you have no idea how weird it actually is. These conventions, although terribly long and difficult served to solidify faith in the WBT$. Especially when you would see old friends still faithful. The hot pastrami on onion roll sandwiches-priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit