Does Anyone Remember the "Around The World Assemblies"?

by titch 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Smiddy, I have been to a District Convention in Australia, as a JW "delegate". Hardly anyone talked to me. I looked like everybody else. No fancy "foreign" outfit. Just Lois

Titch, While I was out this evening, I was thinking about your post. Yes, it has been 50 years. Fifty years ago, they were spouting Armageddon was right around the corner, put your trust in The Lord, and pioneer - pioneer - pioneer...the End was Nigh. Don't work for worldly Joe in this old system, work for free for Jah! lol Oh, if I only knew then, what I know now..........................................I knew a brother that was baptized at that Convention. He got baptized at 15, DFed at 18, married his girlfriend, had a slew of kids, next a bunch of grandkids... He and his wife have throughally enjoyed their carefree life away from WatchTower. Fifty years ago, I never would have thought they was smarter than me. Just Lois

We were a host congo. It was exciting picking up delegates at the Airport. For some, we even drove them to their accommodations. There was an Italian sister that arrived. We talked. I asked her how do you say I love you in Italian... Ti amo te, she said................ We had 8 extra people staying with us at our home................ Where my dad's assignment was at the Rose Bowl, he made sure everyday he had an ice chest full of cold drinks, to pass around to those who helped............ From our stadium seats, we could see the poor elderly and pregnant sister's every day, fainting all over the place................. It was fun, exciting and tortuous, all at the same time.....................Did anyone walk over to the near by smaller arena for The Spanish Convention? Just Lois

I know a Brother that attended one of the DC's in the Mediterrean that summer of '63. After attending one of the scheduled conventions, local Brother's smuggled this brother and his teenage son into one of the neighboring country's where JW's were not appreciated. He gave an "encourageing" talk "under ground". Just Lois

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Lois this was the first convention I got the first glimpse of my future husband he was 18 and I was 15. Didn't meet officiacially for another 2 years. I remember a certain episode he described to me and remember I also saw it. Were we meant to be together??

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The 1963 Assembly for us was held at Twickenham Rugby Stadium.

High up in the stand one evening in the gathering dark, I had my first teenage kiss, with J (Hotlips) S, a sweet girl, I couldn't stop at just one kiss, it was so wonderful. I was only just a teenager.

Hot in the day, Hotlips at night, ah sweet memories.

• minimus
    minimus

I was there and 7 at the time. I remember never seeing so many people in one place in my little life!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was at Twickenham also.Sitting there with a black eye,My hubby had given me wanting me not to go!

He was Catholic. I had so many hugs, from even the elders ,for fighting for Jehovah ,they told me it was a badge

of honer((( YES I WAS STUPID!!!!!!You didnt have to remind me.....TitcH ( )
    But at my age I guess it is a good thing i can still remember .Thanks Titch!!!!

• St George of England
    St George of England

I was at Twickers also; spent the entire time working so I had little time for chatting up the crumpet.

I never volunteered again until after I was married.

George

• tinker
    tinker

All 8 days, morning to after dark, I was there with my family. I was 11 but do not remember much about the program, only the heat and hard seats. My mom planned well with coolers and umbrellas and we never left early. We lived in Huntington Beach Cal, about 50 miles from Pasadena so we stayed with someones worldly relative in one of those big old Pasadena mansions near the Rose Bowl. Staying in that house is one of my fondest Jdub memories. I do remember my mom's face during Knorr's loooon talk on Sunday, very irritated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit