Does Anyone Remember the "Around The World Assemblies"?

by titch 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• vangogh
    vangogh

I was at Twickenham too, I still remember it, often think how 'the truth' has vastly changed since then, of course 'the light gets brighter' oh yea, was at Wembley too when 1975 was just around the corner ( of course that was our fault for taking it the wrong way) and 'time was so short', oh yea! I just hope people do research into ' The Truth' and do as the Watchtower says in the july 1st 2013 public issue page 7 under heading 'Is Any Religeon Deserving of Trust' at the very end where it says 'Examine their teachings and their record. Then decide for yourself if a religeon exists that you can trust', Well just hope folk do what that watchtower suggests and they do and examine the watchtowers record too and hopefully the light will get brighter for them also.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hummmm........ How to further make WatchTower Drones............. Make them use their summer vacation period, to sit in stifling hot stadiums, dressed respectfully, sitting quietly and not moving..... taking notes, day after day after day, with not enough sleep, not enough rest, traffic, traffic, traffic, told the END IS COMING.............. scaring people to more action, all the while made to think The Society has No MONEY.......... and YOU have to give and give and endlessly do more and give more. ............. You are TOLD in the opening Introduction.............. "Brother's, aren't we HAPPY to be here?" Clapclapclapclapclapclap.....lol..... After the song when we are all still standing, the Brother reads out the Announcements with Missionary's real names, who have sent out their love and greeting to ALL 100,000 whatever in attendance that day. clapclapclapclapclapclapclap..............lol......... The Gilead graduates are like movie stars in WatchTower Land. ...........lol.......... It made you want to grow up and be at least a mini movie star..........A...Pioneer............. lol................ Remember the talks, that we are NOT supposed to chew gum, it was disrespectful for the Speaker to look out and see that......... Oh the horror of it!!!.............lol............. Just Lois

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LOL Lois, i remember. recently i ran across some pictures of the welcome home gathering for my father in our motel room at Pasadina. I wish I could post it. There were at least 30 people there. There was PLENTY of Scotch and ginger ale flowing. Booze got the adults through the misery of the whole thing. Maybe I even met some of you there. I was the curly haired freckle faced kid with the thick kitty- cat glasses. LOL

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

3rdGen..... You have a PM................... I am sure if I saw you, I would not have forgotten. Just Lois

• designs
    designs

vangogh- I was at Twickenham for the International Peace On Earth Assembly. My pioneer buddy and I were spending the summer in Europe, great time. We met some great people at Twickenham and stayed with them in Coulsdon Surrey. Lot of young Americans came to that Assembly, a bunch of the Los Angeles party crowd, oh the stories we could tell.

• Glander
    Glander

Rose Bowl '63. I was 17 and we drove into Pasadena every day from the San Fernando valley, about 20 miles. Not only is the Rose Bowl a bowl but it is situated in a geological bowl. It is an oblong concrete dish with steps (seating) on the sides. There are tunnels every so far to get out of the bowl to the unshaded concourses. It was designed for 3 hour college football games in the fall and winter. It was never intended to accomodate 110,000 men women and children for eight straight 6 hour days of speeches in 90 to 100f degree temps in the summer.

People were dropping like flies. There was a constant stream of 2 man teams of young brothers running here and there with old army stretchers held above the throngs to a location where some poor soul had collapsed. One day I was walking through an exit tunnel when a sister in front of me simply fell like tree right in front of me. It was a sickening sound. Several others went to her aid and got the word through walkie talkie to send out a stretcher. They had set up a make shift infirmary tent with evap coolers and cots. Outside ambulance service was always coming and going. Never heard, but I'll wager that some frail folks didn't survice.

Yes. then came the marathon closing prayer from Knorr. Not one word about the suffering of the attendees.

The LA papers had headlines for a few days comparing the Rose Bowl to the Billy Graham revival by attendance numbers.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Sir George...I am a cockney from Bow RD...I knew what you meant by crumpet...I was teasing you.
    BUT!!!!! Some folks consider a sexuel minute a bit of crumpet...I Know I am bad!!!!!!

• Glander
    Glander

I think that was also the release of the huge, red, doorstop book, "Babylon the Great Has fallen, God's Kingdom Rules". Made the whole ordeal worthwhile.

Yes, they created a sense of urgency. 50 years ago this summer.

• Glander
    Glander

"A nice bit 'o crumpet, that"

• designs
    designs

Glander- I still have my 'red door stopper' from 63. Geez we thought we had a real scholarly work in our hands

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit