Does Anyone Remember the "Around The World Assemblies"?

by titch 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• noolite
    noolite

I was there at the Rose Bowl too. I was almost six years old, so my memories aren't as clear as someone that is older. I remember being on one of those chartered buses for what seemed like forever getting into the actual grounds. There was a line of traffic a mile long (literally, I think) and no A/C on the bus. Stuffy, uncomfortable, and hotter than hell. You would be already tired before you ever got inside! What I remember best on the bus is having to pee so bad I couldn't wait any longer, so my mom had me piss into a cup we had with us for drinking from...I really don't remember if we reused it later or not. Knowing my mom, we most likely did

Even at that age, I was embarrased as hell but I had to go so bad I didn't care. Yikes, what a memory

Since we lived in Santa Ana at the time, it would take us forever to get home after the sessions too, only to get up and repeat it the next day. I am sure everyone there remembers how badly you wanted to get away from that place, and traffic getting out seemed to take as long, or longer, than getting in!

The only highlight was the food. Maybe it's just glorified prison food, but it was great to be able to relax and eat, between sessions. Any break at all was great...then there would be the dreaded annoucement to return to our seats...we never seemed to find seats in the shade, and even if you did, the sun would move and you'd be in the sun anyway. Does anyone remember how the umbrellas would open like a wave moving across the stands as the sun shifted? You'd be jealous of the people that would have the shaded seats when yours landed in the sun!

Glad all that is over for me, forever. We went through more of the same 8 day torture later on in the 60's in Atlanta. Those young'uns who came later have no idea how lucky they are to not having to go through this torture. Now there's nice air condtioned Assembly halls to nod off to sleep in, although they won't ever get a taste of that fine prison/industrial food anymore.

• jam
    jam

Around the early 60's the smog was terrible in southern CA. My high school graduation was held in the RB also Pasadena City college. Our ceremony lasted around two hours and it was hot, so I can;t imagine sitting there in the hot sun for 8 days and breathing in the smog.

• dog is god
    dog is god

I think I was 11 at the Rosebowl DC. My mom and I drove from Seattle in my dad's 60VW. I fainted from the heat while waitin in line for lunch. I woke up in the 1st aid area. It was the HEAT. OMG THE HEAT. We volunteered in the snow cone booth. At least we were in the shade. Snow cones were a giant draw for wasps. My mom started in the San Pedro Cong (an old movie theatre...we would have to scrub the outside weekly because many drunks pee'd in the entrance). She had a woman friend Sister Casey. She died and she had a lot of kids. My mom wanted to adopt her youngest, Sherman Casey. We brought him home and holy cow what a mess. She told him to go to bed and when my brother tried to force him to his room he said, "I'm going to blow a hole in your belly so big you can stick your head thru". That was that. I've wondered what ever happened to him. He was scary tho. I also remember not understanding one word uttered as the delay from each speaker echoed so bad. The news papers had a running headline as Billy Graham was having some convention. For him they would tally up the total from all days....the JWs just that day's number. I loved that we stayed in a motel where I could jump in the pool for a few hours to get my body temp and sticky sweat off of me. I think I remember there being a not very noticible choir section singing the four part notes from the green songbook.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

I was at The Rose Bowl in 1963.

Was pretty young at the time, so I don't remember much - but I do remember going to Disneyland!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit