Does Anyone Remember the "Around The World Assemblies"?

by titch 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• titch
    titch

So, being that it is 2013, I recall that it was 50 years ago, that the "Around The World Assemblies" were held. For those of us who lived in Southern California, the first week of September was when we had the assembly, and it was held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Yep, the Rose Bowl, with no seats, per se, but just those hard benches as seats. I rember that we bought, through the congregation, those portable seats that would clamp on to the bench, and you could find SOME KIND of relative "comfort" while sitting in the hot sun of Pasadena! I was 9 years old at the time, and can remember a little bit of the assembly, but not much. It was at the assembly that year that the red "Babylon" book was released. So, is there anyone else who was there at The Rose Bowl, in September of 1963? I think, but I'm not sure, that the assembly was for 5 days, maybe more. Best Regards, everyone.

Titch

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Titch... Hello... How have you been? On Sunday, my friends had to walk me out of the Stadium, and find me a shady spot to rest. It was so hot in there. I had heat exhaustion. I remember those hard, fold down seats we bought for $2.00 each. Sitting all day at the Rose Bowl was agony. Just Lois

• jam
    jam

Wasn't at the assembly but lived a few blocks away, my sister was there.

I was 15 at the time but I remember it.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I spent all 8 days there. Long 8 days very hot, and one day of heavy rain. I was 15 and I don't remember any of the talks. By the way it was the only 8 day assembly I ever attended plus I missed the whole first week of school.

• designs
    designs

titch- yes I remember the Rose Bowl, my mother was rebaptized there after being away for some 30 years. My dad and I worked in the kitchens, great fun. We thought Knorr would never shutup Sunday night.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Nope. Wasn't there, but my mom was just studying with the JWs, and was making plans to go. My whole family - of 9 - going from South Texas, all the way to California - in an old car that would probably break down along the way several times. But something else happened the summer of '63 that stopped those plans. My whole family was involved in a car accident that killed my father and one of my sisters. I spent the summer in the hospital with a broken leg on the mend. I can only imagine how miserable we all would have been if we had gone. Regards, Jim TX

• designs
    designs

Jim- It was hot, dusty, crowded but fascinating all the same, never seen anything like it since. I met Henschel there, he stopped a bunch of us young guys and we spent a whole lunch break just talking and sitting on the tailgate of a truck.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yeah, I was there. Hot, hot, hot, not much shade. World's longest prayer at the end on Sunday. Massive traffic jam too. One day I passed out in the lunch line - from heat or exhaustion or who knows what. Thirteen years old.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was at the "Around The World Assembly" held at the melbourne showgrounds in vict.Australia .I was 24 at the time,I still have a photo or two and a couple of slides somewhere. A TV journalist was interveiwing some witnesses for the ABC. I remember a photo in the newspaper showing a badly smashed up car that had a bumper sticker advertising the assembly.

The assembly was noted for its very few international visitors.

smiddy

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Jim...TX, I am so sorry for your loss. ((((Hugs of Sympathy and Concern))))) How horrible for you and your friends and family.. Did it take a while for you and your mom to get situated in life, again, after that tragic summer? Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit