After 2000 years since JC was executed ,why have we heard not a whisper from GOD ALMIGHTY ?

by smiddy 268 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adamah
    adamah

@Adamah: I started the sentence with "in the Bible" ... that alone is already suggesting what you improved in my further writing. This due to the fact that English is not my native language. It means that I make mistakes in the texts. I am glad though that you still understood the point I was saying ;)

Yeah, my point wasn't to correct your writing but to highlight the short-cuts believers often make, forgetting that what they believe is often based on a series of questionable assumptions which somehow become fact. Even the phrase "in the Bible" means all things to all people, since some view the Bible as a fictionalized work of humans, whereas others are filled with a warm glow and take it as literal truth, straight from God's mouth to their ears (since "all scriptures are inspired by God").

Adam

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Comatose: If a true manifestation of himself was made, billions would act. He could positively change the fate of billions. Why wouldn't he want to help the entire earth?

Yes, some would panic; others would get religion for awhile, but when another miracle wasn’t forthcoming, they would fall away until someone else with a bag of tricks showed up.

What you say makes sense on its face, but it doesn’t work in the real world. Human nature is such that the only thing that will permanently change hearts is the Spirit of God. Not all people are like Paul, who had his vision on the road he was on to persecute Christians. There are many who care nothing about religion and wouldn’t obey a missive from God if it were delivered by an angel with a sword of fire. As hard as it may be to believe, many people simply want to be left alone to live life according to their own desires. Again, God will not abrogate free agency, and by revealing himself to the world, he would only seal their condemnation.

Case in point: the return of Jesus. According to Zechariah, when Jesus returns at the conclusion of Armageddon in Jerusalem, the Jews will immediately realize the Messiah’s identity and they will be converted and offer up great lamentation. Many of their fellow Jews will be dead, slain by the beast mentioned by John in Revelation. But many of the enemies of the Jews, the ones who live “round about” Israel and who allied themselves with the beast, will stubbornly resist. Zechariah writes:

And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the Lord will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, Holiness Unto The Lord; and the pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar. (Zech. 14:16-20)

These will be the Muslim nations, and despite Jesus’ return in glory, which they will see with their own eyes, many will be so bitter that they will not obey the Lord’s directive to come to Jerusalem and make peace by celebrating the feast of the tabernacles (and the prophet specifically mentions Egypt by name). These remaining people will be guilty of being deceived by the beast, but they will be good, decent people, else they would have been destroyed at the Lord’s coming. Alas, as I said, they also will be stubborn. Acknowledging Muhammad as a false prophet and the beast as being an enemy to God will go against everything they believed and fought for. But the Lord will then visit them with famine, drought and plague until they acknowledge him and go up to Jerusalem.

The scripture doesn’t say it, but I suspect the Jews also will have a difficult time making their own peace with their former enemies. But then, they will be established once and for all in Jerusalem and will have their temple back. And all their expectations of their Messiah saving them also will be fulfilled (and this is one reason their fathers rejected Jesus, because he did not come to save them from the Romans, their current enemies).

Why wouldn’t god manifest himself in a concrete way to us today?

All I can tell you is that he will. John writes: “And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.” (Rev. 14:6-7)

John also predicted a great earthquake in the last days, then added:

And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; and said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? (Rev. 6:15-17)

So far from converting, many will attempt to flee from God and his judgment.

Supposedly, Jesus showed miraculous signs. God performed miraculous signs back in Bible times. Can you explain to me why we no longer see such miraculous signs?

Yes, and many miracles were shown in the days of Joseph Smith. The sick were healed, the dead raised, people received visions and revelations and the Lord was with his people. You just don’t know our history. If you PM me, I can get you the details. I think it’s a marvelous story. I think many of you guys are absolutely correct about God and his revelations to mankind. Back in 1967-71 I talked to every pastor, priest, reverend and preacher I could find and I asked them one question: why, when men need it more than at any other time in history, does God not speak to men through apostles and prophets as he did anciently? No one could give me what I thought was an intelligent answer. In September 1968, my father took my family out to a Utah ranch to visit an old war buddy of his. I struck up a friendship with my father’s friend’s son, who had just returned from a Mormon mission, and in 1971 my family joined the church, with the exception of my father, a Southern Baptist. He read some anti-Mormon stuff, but even so, years later, he also was baptized.

My point is that I think your question is perfectly natural. Most people are just simply unaware of what’s happened in our day. I study it relentlessly and am still impressed by it.

mP: What if there was a troll who claims the exodus is true, and shows several scriptures supposedly holding prophecies about Jesus and then he is shown to be incorrect and then they quit because they cant handle the truth. What if that person was you?

Then logic would have ceased to exist. I’ve noticed, mP, that your primary mode of answering arguments isn’t through scholarly assessments or a well thought out appeal to history, theology, ancient scriptures, anthropology or even your whacked out and inconsistent personal philosophy. What do you do? You resort to petty name calling. First you refer to LDS sacred vestments as “magic underwear.” When that wore thin, you began slinging around the word “cult” when it was apparent that you knew nothing about either the LDS church or cults. Now you’re bandying about the word “troll.” But what have you actually said?

Nothing at all.

I’m willing to let readers decide who’s the troll here. As for me, I find it difficult to argue with someone who is uneducated, uninformed and, frankly, in my view, not too bright. If your memory is so short that you forgot that you argued that a Josephus passage referred to someone else named Jesus—not the one Christians revere, but to false messiahs of the same name—and you were totally WRONG, then no one can argue with you. So kindly crawl back under your bridge and give it a rest unless you have something substantive to say, other than empty pontifications.

• mP
    mP

mP: What if there was a troll who claims the exodus is true, and shows several scriptures supposedly holding prophecies about Jesus and then he is shown to be incorrect and then they quit because they cant handle the truth. What if that person was you?

Lost:

Then logic would have ceased to exist. I’ve noticed, mP, that your primary mode of answering arguments isn’t through scholarly assessments or a well thought out appeal to history, theology, ancient scriptures, anthropology or even your whacked out and inconsistent personal philosophy. What do you do? You resort to petty name calling.

mP:
    really this is a bit far from someone who runs away from a little math, when i show that 70 cannot become 3 million in 200 years. You give scriptures and claim they are talking about jesus when his name or title are never mentioned. I gave many links, problem is y9ou cant reply.

Perhaps troll is a harsh word, i should have called you a coward, because you run away when it gets too hard to debate. Of course if im wrong show me how 70 becomes 3 million.

i dont need too lie, the thread is there foreveryone with timestamps and more for all too see.

• mP
    mP

Lost:

If your memory is so short that you forgot that you argued that a Josephus passage referred to someone else named Jesus—not the one Christians revere, but to false messiahs of the same name—and you were totally WRONG

mP:

The text clearly says jesus was the son of damneus within the same paragraph. There is nothing else in that paragraph that could not be someone else. there were many joshuas back then, because its a popular name and an approrpiate title for anyone wnating to be a leader.

You completely ignored and failed to comment on the father of jesus being wrong. Its really bad writing to refer to one character and then without qualifying the name being used tell us the father of another character with the same name. I dont think josephus was unskilled or uneducated. Its much easier to understand this jesus is someone else.

BTW: Good too see you do not attempt to quote or link or anything because if anybody reads the text its clear you are lying and wrong. You delibrately only present the first half of the paragraph because the entire chapter is about jesus the son of damneus who was a real person according to josephus.

Anyone can read the entire chapter, and see for themselves the jesus mentioned is never jesus son of god, and it makes no sense to talk and use his first name with qualification to refer to one characeter and then slip in a line about jesus of nazareth without letting the reader know its a different person.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Antiquities_of_the_Jews/Book_XX#Chapter_9

so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done; they also sent to the king [Agrippa], desiring him to send to Ananus that he should act so no more, for that what he had already done was not to be justified; nay, some of them went also to meet Albinus, as he was upon his journey from Alexandria, and informed him that it was not lawful for Ananus to assemble a sanhedrim without his consent. [24] Whereupon Albinus complied with what they said, and wrote in anger to Ananus, and threatened that he would bring him to punishment for what he had done; on which king Agrippa took the high priesthood from him, when he had ruled but three months, and made Jesus, the son of Damneus, high priest.

• smiddy
    smiddy

performing so called miracles is not and should not be the criteria for beleiving in GOD , didnt the magic practicing preists of Egypt also perform miracles ? EX.:ch.7.According to the bible that is.

Illusionists today can perform some amazing things that to the uninitiated / superstitious could be seen as miracles,certainly they could be veiwed that way in bible times.

This beleif by religionists of whatever persuasion that you have to have faith in him/her is just a cop out.

What is it about the " ALMIGHTY" that he has had to communicate via a select few imperfect humans anyway,and as I have said before neglected/ignored billions of other souls.

smiddy

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

@Cold Steel: have you personally seen him do the miracles? Have you seen him waking the dead? No... it is "history" according to you but "history" is written by people with an agenda. We all know the "history" of the JW as given by the JW's and as we are (fully) aware it is subject to heavy editing (and therefore flawed to say the least). Also the historybooks of all countries are subject to propaganda and do not always state the truth (they are actually filled with lies a lot of times). Is it so strange for us all to demand proof of truth? Truth can withstand everything remember?

The funny thing is that the Bible itself mocks with prophets: "acting like a prophet" was seen as "acting insane"! Now... funny thing is this: how many "insane" people that you know would tell you something and you would blindly trust their guidance? I mean: of all people in the world do you really think that God would give his word to "insane" people? The bible itself states it that way... not me!

Now a lot of people have called me insane... I think I actually might be a prophet then... and if I am: why are you trying to tell me I am wrong?

• *lost*
    *lost*

mp buddy - you keep getting my comments confused with Cold Steel lol

• mP
    mP

lost:

hahaha, good old cold, i believe in demons. ;/ i see demons, no really i do..

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hmmmm

• *lost*
    *lost*

?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit