Oh... as for why some/many do not hear Him?
- no faith in the Spirit
- fear... of hearing Him and the ridicule (or worse) that will follow; so that they do not want to hear to begin with
- ignorance... religious leaders do not teach that one might hear and follow Christ alone... and so some would not even think of listening... or they dismiss His 'whisper' as their own voice, or as something that just 'came to them'
- some do not want to hear WHAT He has to say; the Truth, and so they do not hear at all, but listen to those who tell them what they want to hear instead...
- some do not believe that He is even alive (or exists), and so have no faith in Him TO hear him, or understand that it might be Him speaking
- some are simply not his sheep (at least not at this time, and so listen to other voices: men, religion, scholars, etc)
Christ does not force Himself upon people (with rare exceptions such as Paul). Those who want to hear Him... will come TO Him... seeking, knocking. So that once again, something being down out of love for us... due to our own wishes, fear, limitations... is misunderstood and turned into something else.