After 2000 years since JC was executed ,why have we heard not a whisper from GOD ALMIGHTY ?

by smiddy 268 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Adamah, If Cofty had experienced the things I have he/she would attribute them to an intelligence beyond ours and beyond the main premise that physics relies on, cause and effect. This is because it would be the only thing that would explain the strategic nature of what I experienced and that of others. I try to be very careful with my wording but I am talking about myself as well as others I know or have heard of when it comes to such experiences.

The reason I haven’t given more specific examples from personal experience is because it would be to invite abuse as fadetogrey has already resorted to. I prefer a calm environment to debate in reasonableness as opposed to what passes for debate here often times. Saying that, I do feel you are a reasonable guy to debate with.

Your point about “accounts of personal experiences are considered to be amongst the weakest forms of supportive evidence available” I agree with. Here is the problem I have. Some of the experiences I could relate include also witnesses to the events in some cases, which are a better form of evidence; that I could not reproduce on this forum. I would be accused of making them up or worse, the witness statements of corroboration. The only way the evidence could operate would be if you knew me personally and my friends, so you could make your own judgments better as to the authenticity. This may sound like a copout but it is the truth. I could well be mentally ill or some charlatan and I cannot prove otherwise here for obvious reasons. That said I can’t deny what I have seen and experienced either, so there is a bit of an impasse here. I would hope though that some might `see` from how I write that I am at least honest but people make their own minds up regardless sometimes. Credibility is a very vital commodity when it comes to written information in the form of points of view and making a case, particularly when science is not the criteria for testing such claims as the supernatural as only science can be reproduced is such ways. What credibility would I ever have on a board with such outspoken atheists? My world view is seen as the enemy and by extension me also. I don’t think you see it that way but some do unfortunately.

As to your point about the Turin shroud, I understand and agree that it doesn’t prove it is genuine. I will go one further and say no test can ever prove it is genuine, even if it is because no miracle can be proven via a scientific test. The best it can do is strengthen the case in the minds of those open to the possibility of science not being the answer to all things. However my point with the shroud is only to correct those who say it has been proven a fake, as it has not been. I appreciate you are better informed than some, which frankly is a delight including your lack of abuse or attitude.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Smiddy: Why has this GOD been so silent these past 2000 years, when there have been atrocities above the scale of anything that has ever been seen these past 6000 years of human existence.

... The fact remains we have never heard from GOD, any GOD, or even “a” GOD, with either his/her approval or disapproval of events good or bad these past 2000 years.

What about Muhammad, circa 600 A.D.? What about the so-called “letters from God” that were said to float down from heaven from time to time in the Roman and Orthodox churches? And more significantly (to me), what about Joseph Smith and the Restoration declared by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints beginning in 1830? (It claims to hold the keys of the kingdom of God, through the instrumentality of holy beings who have systematically restored it, prophecy and all of the ancient spiritual gifts; it has a quorum of twelve apostles, quorum of seventy and believes in the restoration of revelation via angelic ministration and the Spirit of God.) Following the Latter-day Saints, Ellen G. White, several decades later, instituted the Adventist movement based on her personal revelations. Many of her doctrines found their way into the beliefs of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Although the Governing Body of the Jehovah's Witnesses claims not to have revelation—the kind enjoyed by the ancient church—it does claim both “light” and “new light.” But the way I see it, anytime God communicates with man, either through the Spirit of God or inspired impressions or through visions, prophecy and angelic ministrations—it’s all revelation. The Governing Body can’t have it both ways. It either has a line to God or it doesn’t.

Are the days of prophets over? The apostle John didn’t think so. Speaking of the battle of Armageddon, he wrote:

And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth [referenced by Zechariah, 4:3, 11]. And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth. And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them. And the same hour was there a great earthquake....

This is the same earthquake that splits the Mount of Olives and is where Jesus returns and meets the Jews.

John specifically calls the two witnesses “prophets” and clearly says their ministry will be in Jerusalem, a prophecy the Society denies. One assumes these prophets will have the same powers and authority that ancient prophets held, so will they be beholden to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society? Some religious sects believe that the two will be ancient prophets, such as Moses and Elijah, or Enoch and Elijah; however, there’s no evidence to support that.

In fact, there’s nothing to prevent the Lord from calling and speaking to prophets in our day and in our dispensation. So to say that the day of prophets is over is a gross mistatement and one that is roundly contradicted by the scriptures.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Maybe people lack faith in god because they have never heard him. If he really wanted people to worship him, he should make himself evident. Why wouldn't he? I mean when it is something that is as important as your everlasting wellbeing that is being decided by your belief in god, I think he's kind of a dick for hiding.

It would be so simple for himself to reveal himself to the whole world.

Cold Steel, those "prophets" vary so greatly in their teachings how could you say their revelations are coming from one source? That doesn't make any sense. Maybe god should speak up so everyone is on the same page.

• tec
    tec

Of course they do, thats why everybody who hears has a different message.

Yeah, I don't know that many people who claim to hear the voice of Christ. Of those I do know, the message has been the same.

I do know that many religions/denominations/etc... speak different messages.

Of those who do so claim to hear Christ... then what they hear and share (if they do share) may be tested, to know if it truly came from Christ... or not.

Peace,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Of those I do know, the message has been the same.

Yes, we all know that when people claim boldly enough to have heard the voice, you cave in and hear it the same way they do.

Just because YOU DON'T know them doesn't remove the fact that people KNOW they hear him and hear a different message.

• adamah
    adamah

Hi Seraphim,

Thanks for the polite response.

Adamah, If Cofty had experienced the things I have he/she would attribute them to an intelligence beyond ours and beyond the main premise that physics relies on, cause and effect. This is because it would be the only thing that would explain the strategic nature of what I experienced and that of others. I try to be very careful with my wording but I am talking about myself as well as others I know or have heard of when it comes to such experiences.

Well, then it's hard to help determine what OTHER alternative explanations may exist as the cause, since you cannot provide details. But that's OK, since we can talk about this generally, in non-specific terms.

The primary concern to keep in mind is the danger of jumping to conclusions as to what may be the cause, thus falling for the logical error known as "appeal to ignorance". Despite the name, it has NOTHING to do with someone being an ignorant person, but instead refers to when people conclude that since they are personally unaware of what may be causing the preception, then there is NO other possible explanation but to attribute it to a supernatural cause.

The problem is that the brain is a very complex organ and it often plays tricks on all of us, and there's a HOST of explanations which exist that aren't well-known. Of course, perceptions are unique, variable, and as stated in another thread recently, perceptions are NOT reality itself, but only personal mental MODELS of reality which will vary on one's other beliefs, attitudes, biases, prior experiences, etc.

The reason I haven’t given more specific examples from personal experience is because it would be to invite abuse as fadetogrey has already resorted to. I prefer a calm environment to debate in reasonableness as opposed to what passes for debate here often times. Saying that, I do feel you are a reasonable guy to debate with.

Thanks; I try to maintain an open-mind, and not to hastily jump to conclusions (and believe me, I had to eat a LOT of crow sandwiches in order for THAT point to penetrate through the steel plate in my numb-skull)!

Your point about “accounts of personal experiences are considered to be amongst the weakest forms of supportive evidence available” I agree with. Here is the problem I have. Some of the experiences I could relate include also witnesses to the events in some cases, which are a better form of evidence; that I could not reproduce on this forum. I would be accused of making them up or worse, the witness statements of corroboration.

Well, unfortunately there's also HUGE problems with eyewitness evidence, even when it's an entire crowd of people witnessing some "miracle", eg the 'Miracle of Fatima':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Problem is, most saw only a beautiful dramatic and spectacular moving sunset worthy of a photograph, whereas others felt a spiritual experience and saw the Sun moving around in the sky (which sounds ALOT like it was the result of staring at the Sun, with an after-image burned into the retina making it APPEAR to be jumping around).

Even if only one person, eyewitness evidence itself is fundamentally unreliable, since people often don't see what they THINK they're seeing (for a number of reasons, including the following demonstrated in this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

The only way the evidence could operate would be if you knew me personally and my friends, so you could make your own judgments better as to the authenticity. This may sound like a copout but it is the truth. I could well be mentally ill or some charlatan and I cannot prove otherwise here for obvious reasons. That said I can’t deny what I have seen and experienced either, so there is a bit of an impasse here. I would hope though that some might `see` from how I write that I am at least honest but people make their own minds up regardless sometimes.

The problem is that people CAN being absolutely and COMPLETELY HONEST in their accounts of their perceptions, but they still are WRONG (as the video above may have shown). In fact, people who actually DO honestly believe are often the most compelling at convincing others, since they aren't lying: they GENUINELY DO BELIEVE what they say. That however doesn't mean that they are CORRECT in what they claim, or haven't only managed to fool themselves: that's the very definition of self-deception, which is all-too-common.

Credibility is a very vital commodity when it comes to written information in the form of points of view and making a case, particularly when science is not the criteria for testing such claims as the supernatural as only science can be reproduced is such ways. What credibility would I ever have on a board with such outspoken atheists? My world view is seen as the enemy and by extension me also. I don’t think you see it that way but some do unfortunately.

For the record, I don't see anyone as "the enemy" here, since, for one, I honestly truly don't BELIEVE in God(s)! While it's fun to quibble at times (!), I do post in an attempt to help others I won't even meet in real-life, and that's satisfying to me.

Now, I suppose if a theist believes in Satan, then THEY might conceivably see me as one of Satan's elves/demons, and might see ME as the enemy? However, that's kinda the point: there's a liberating value in letting all of that theological fantasy "junk" go by the wayside, since it really only clutters the mind (just as hoarders become prisoners to their possessions, when their homes become shrines to their compulsion of collecting what others would see as "junk" that controls them).

And FWIW, I really don't care what someone CLAIMS their Worldview to be, precisely for the same reason mentioned above: people can CLAIM to be something, but then act in a manner that's inconsistent with their claimed beliefs. It really doesn't matter to me, though, since there's nothing that can be done about it, as people have to recognize it for themselves to allow for personal growth and change (and many people don't want to do that, but prefer to look for excuses to protect their delusions; they're only fooling themselves. As William S Burroughs said, "Hustlers of the World, there is one 'mark' you cannot beat: the 'mark' inside").

As to your point about the Turin shroud, I understand and agree that it doesn’t prove it is genuine. I will go one further and say no test can ever prove it is genuine, even if it is because no miracle can be proven via a scientific test. The best it can do is strengthen the case in the minds of those open to the possibility of science not being the answer to all things.

True. However, the GREATER mental error is to assume there IS an answer to ALL things, some giant disembodied Craylike supercomputer "brain" called God (who's apparently been in energy-saving sleep mode for 5,000 yrs).

When it comes to dealing with unknowns, science openly admits what it doesn't know, but it's at least attempting to find an answer, if not today, then someday. It's a process of constant improvement, constantly updating what we know.

On the other hand, religion says we don't know all things, but God's ways are mysterious and perhaps He will reveal the answer to us "at the right time". There's nothing that can be done to know EVERYTHING, and it's not even desirable to try: we don't want to run ahead of God, to become smarter than Him.

BOTH groups are essentially saying the same thing about there ARE things we currently don't know, but the DIFFERENCE is that science doesn't sit around on hands, waiting for an answer to be provided by God.

What happens if science is right? Look around you: humanity enjoys precisely the benefits we all enjoy today.

And what happens if theists were right? IF not for the prior camp, we'd be living in caves waiting on God to provide answers. And by riding on the coat-tails of the science camp, is God going to be pissed since 'flawed men' tried to save some lives by treating disease, feed starving people, i.e. improving the Earth NOW?

Even if such a God existed, would you really WANT to exist in a Universe where such God(s) are mean-spirited bully, unstable control freaks?

(Not to suggest that I believe there's a snowball's chance in Gehenna for 'Bible Jehovah' existing.)

However my point with the shroud is only to correct those who say it has been proven a fake, as it has not been. I appreciate you are better informed than some, which frankly is a delight including your lack of abuse or attitude.

Well THANKS for saying so!

And I'll be honest with you and everyone else here, as I don't believe in passively-aggressively pulling punches. There's TRULY no need for the agro in these discussions, since it's not about winning arguments, pissing matches, etc but trying to keep things positive and helping others to liberate their minds from a cult, and cultish-thinking (which includes a belief in doctrines that support cults, whether religious or otherwise).

Adam

• tec
    tec

Yes, we all know that when people claim boldly enough to have heard the voice, you cave in and hear it the same way they do.

No, that is not something that you know.. that is something that you ASSUME. Something that I know (since it is about me that you speak) is untrue.

Just because YOU DON'T know them doesn't remove the fact that people KNOW they hear him and hear a different message.

Correct. Just because I don't know someone doesn't mean that there are none like that out there. I did, however, state that I don't know MANY who make that claim... but of those who DO make that claim, their message can still be TESTED.

As we ARE told to test the spirits.

Because certainly there are false christs and false prophets, charlatons and liars, out there.

Peace,

tammy

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Mr. Freeze: Maybe people lack faith in god because they have never heard him. If he really wanted people to worship him, he should make himself evident. Why wouldn't he? I mean when it is something that is as important as your everlasting wellbeing that is being decided by your belief in god, I think he's kind of a dick for hiding.

What if he isn’t hiding? What if he has a church on Earth and is speaking to man through that church as he did anciently?

It would be so simple for himself to reveal himself to the whole world.

In what way would you like to see him revealed? If you knew that God had a church and was speaking to man, would you rush out and join it? If he spoke from Heaven and revealed that church, would you join it?

I don’t know what you’d do, but many people wouldn’t. And there are primarily two reasons he doesn’t do that. First, he has placed man on Earth to live by faith, not by sight. We are going through a period of being tried and tested, which brings us to the second reason. If God revealed himself in some miraculous way to the entire earth, man would then be obligated to abide in his commandment, and those who wouldn’t would find themselves under a condemnation they could not bear. Being merciful, and not wishing to abrogate our free agency, he has determined to provide the light, but to lead people to it.

Jesus said, “I stand at the door and knock....” It’s up to them to open the door. Those who don’t will still affect their situation in the world to come, but they won’t be nearly under the condemnation they would if Jesus revealed himself to them as he did Saul (Paul) and they rejected him. In other words, if Paul had not heeded his vision on the way to Damascus, he would have been under much greater condemnation than if he’d continued his life in ignorance. We’re judged on what we know and how we react to it. “To those whom much is given, much is expected.”

Cold Steel, those "prophets" vary so greatly in their teachings how could you say their revelations are coming from one source? That doesn't make any sense. Maybe god should speak up so everyone is on the same page.

I never said they come from the same source. The OP asked why God hadn’t spoken in 2,000 years, then added the question as to why no one had even claimed he had spoken. I merely pointed out that there are claimants. My personal conviction is that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the one which has been established of God and has his apostolic authority restored through the laying on of hands. We call it the Restoration of the Gospel because we believe that the church had reached a condition in which it could not be reformed. The authority and the spiritual gifts were gone and could only return by an active act of God.

According to a number of respected scholars are convinced that the so-called Gospel of Thomas, which is part of the Nag Hammadi Library found in Egypt in 1947, contains many of the true sayings of Jesus. One of these is the well known parable of the woman and the jar. My favorite translation is:

Jesus says: The Kingdom of the Father is like a woman who takes a vessel of flour and sets out on a long road. The handle of the vessel broke: the flour spilled out on the road behind her without her knowing it and stopping it. When she arrived at the house she put the vessel down and found it was empty. (Doresse, 97 (101))

In many of the early literature, the church was depicted as a woman. In this case, the woman carries the broken jar, which is seen as the loss of the church’s spiritual gifts. It happened so slowly that she didn’t notice. Eventually she returned home and the meal (flour) was gone. The empty form was left, but not the substance. It could not be re-gathered from the road, but required the woman to gain new flour. Thus the parable is about the apostasy from the gospel and the need for new truth.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Rubbish.

Mr Freeze made a truly great point. One I was not ready for in the past, but that I think is logical and well put.

God said in the bible he wants all to be saved. In the past he made himself known with smoke, lightning, manna, angels, voices, and signs. If a true manifestation of himself was made, billions would act. He could positively change the fate of billions. Why wouldn't he want to help the entire earth? Books written long ago that science is casting doubt upon or downright proving wrong are not a reasonable and meaningful way to speak to the people on the earth today.

Why wouldn't god manifest himself in a concrete way to us today?

• mP
    mP

Cold:

What if he isn’t hiding? What if he has a church on Earth and is speaking to man through that church as he did anciently?

mP:

What if there was a troll who claims the exodus is true, and shows several scriptures supposedly holding prophecies about jesus and then he is shown to be incorrect and then they quit because they cant handle the truth.

What if that person was you! ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit