After 2000 years since JC was executed ,why have we heard not a whisper from GOD ALMIGHTY ?

by smiddy 268 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Cold - I'm still reading it :p

The bible contains boast after boast of miracles as signs of not only god's power but his greater power than other regional gods. This should - but doesn't for most believers - ring alarm bells as to the literalness of the written text. In order for old testament Jehovah to be real then he has to fit into a magical world where other magic things can occur ( turning Moses' staff into a snake to eat the other snakes also created by another god is an example.) The 'unchanging' OT god does miracles all day in antiquity from really simple parlour tricks ( iron axe head floating) through to breathtaking stopping the earth in its tracks so the sun remains overhead. The NT continues this magic show with further illusionist style magic, Jesus' birth has new star, Jesus walks on water, chucks newly demonised pigs off cliff, uses spit magic to heal the blind, raises the dead even at a distance, feeds hungry people with magic loaf and fish replicator and so on. To top it all off the supposed inspired writers of the time remind us to look for the signs of the times, to look for people performing miraculous things that 'testify' of Christ and to seek out the magical / miraculous gifts of the spirit.

I say this regularly to still believing Mormons " if real healings existed in the church they would make international news".

It is the bible itself that gives an expectation of miracles ( and the vast majority of ones described in the bible were not associated with the faith of the observers) and all flavours of xian since claim loudest and longest for the veracity and certainty of amazing miracles they neither have proof for nor fits science while simultaneously admitting that inside their bubble of reality everything suddenly becomes science based and miracles are all reliant on absolute faith hence why they themselves never see a real one.

Somehow the human brain can become so blind to reality that it prefers the lie of possible magic to the wonder of actual useful truth. The fairly pathetic healing miracles envisioned by ancient societies and attributed to various chosen ones such as Jesus are bettered every day in every hospital by mankind and the application of science. If miracles were true it is a silly argument to say we wouldn't believe them. The real silliness is to turn your back on reality and live in a pretend world where magic sometimes works but only for other people in an arbitrary way but that requires vast amounts of mental faith just in case it's your turn to get some magic pixie dust - and then to maintain that mindset when it never is your day.

• mP
    mP

mP: First of all its Testimonium Flavianium.

COLD:

Yes it is, my mistake. It was a copy and paste error. Let me rephrase: Do you have any idea what the Testimonium Flavianium is?

You're the one who said that it contained nothing of the Jesus in the Bible. You were completely incorrect. Now, instead of admitting you made an error, you reply with another criticism.

mP:

I think you mis understood why i mentioned the passage about jesus being the son of damneus. As you probably know the TF and the other passage are the proofs for jesus taken from josephus writings. i was trying to paint a complete picture instead of selecting quoting.

I made no error, i was simply referring to both texts as they together constitute xian proof for Jesus.

How does one copy paste and turn V's into F's. I think you mean typo, your computers clipboard does not alter Vs into Fs.

Cold:

What difference does it make when the word "Christian" appeared? Does that make a difference?

MP:

They are different words with completely different meanings.

Christian with an I means a follower of Christ, Chrestian with an E means a useful or good person. Im sure you will agree thats quite different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ#Christians_and_Chrestians

Christians and Chrestians [ edit source | edit beta ]

Detail of the 11th century copy of Annals, the gap between the 'i' and 's' is highlighted in the word 'Christianos'.

The passage states:

"... called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin ..."

In 1902 Georg Andresen commented on the appearance of the first 'i' and subsequent gap in the earliest extant, 11th century, copy of the Annals in Florence, suggesting that the text had been altered, and an 'e' had originally been in the text, rather than this 'i'. [15] "With ultra-violet examination of the MS the alteration was conclusively shown. It is impossible today to say who altered the letter e into an i. In Suetonius’ Nero 16.2, "christiani", however, seems to be the original reading". [16] Since the alteration became known it has given rise to debates among scholars as to whether Tacitus deliberately used the term Chrestians, or if a scribe made an error during the Middle Ages. [17] [18] It has been stated that both the terms Christians and Chrestians had at times been used by the general population in Rome to refer to early Christians. [19] Robert Van Voorst claims that many sources indicate that the term Chrestians was also used among the early followers of Jesus by the second century. [18] [20] The term Christians appears only three times in the New Testament, the first usage (Acts 11:26) giving the origin of the term. [18] In all three cases the uncorrected Codex Sinaiticus in Greek reads Chrestianoi. [18] [20] In Phrygia a number of funerary stone inscriptions use the term Chrestians, with one stone inscription using both terms together, reading: "Chrestians for Christians". [20]

mP: Lots of people back then did miracles, Vespasian supposedly cured a blind man. Considering it doesnt say what marvelous things he did, this is hardly specific in pin pointing an individual.

COLD:

Look, no one is even reading this thread any more. Your observation, above, is irrelevant. Vespasian was first supreme commander of the military force that destroyed Jerusalem. Then he was emperor. Do you think anyone is going to dispute him? But how about Jesus? Where are those who disputed him at the time?

mP:

Given the NT was preserved, selected and given to us by the same Romans, why believe one politically motivated book over another ? THe church was controlled by the emperor. They destroyed the holy writings of the gnostics, the library of alexandria and more to hide the origins of xianity.

• mP
    mP

Just look at Josephus writings, the guy writes many volumes and the most he supposedly mentions about jesus is a few lines. Surely a man who had thousands and performed miracles deserves more of a mention.COLD:

Also, please show me where I lied, just so I know.

MP:

Check my last post from page 4, you lied when you claimed scholars accept the TF as authentic. Its there in b&white for all too see.

COLD:

Oh, and if you go to college, try taking some theology courses while you're at it. You seem to be getting all your information from questionable sites.

MP:

Of coursei have because you are the ultimate authority. Name one questionable authority i have used ? are you saying the quotations i give are unfaithful ?

• mP
    mP

COLD:

Why do you quote a passage known and accepted by scholars to be a fraud or insertion ? Is it honest to use a fraudulent material like this ?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

mP, the only thing I can say is that I have said what I have said and do not retreat from any part of it. Almost all scholars believe the Testimonium Flavianium is not a true renditon of what Josephus wrote, and I'm highly inclined to agree. Still, instead of being a complete interpolation, many scholars view it as altered, not fabricated. That's the whole idea behind the Arabic version, which sounds much more plausible.

Qcmbr: I say this regularly to still believing Mormons, "If real healings existed in the church they would make international news."

This is where we would have to disagree. Many LDS doctors and bishops have witnessed miracles. My bishop helped cast out a devil that possessed a woman who was struggling so hard it took several men to restrain her. "The feeling in the room was of incredible evil," he told me. Her voice had changed to a raw, haggard voice that wasn't hers and, he added, she rose up out of her bed and "literally levitated" above it. When they cast the devil out, she fell from about a foot over her bed and settled into a fitful slumber. There were plenty of witnesses, including the woman's husband. On my mission, a woman invited us in and later excused herself in tears. Her mother explained that she had been kicked in the head by a horse years earlier, and that she frequently had horrible headaches that sometimes lasted hours. My partner administered the blessing and he promised her that she would not have the headaches again. Within minutes, she was laughing as though nothing had happened. A year later, the woman's mother wrote that partner that the headaches had never returned since that night. But these are only two of many happenings. Lorenzo Snow blessed a little girl who had died and told her to "come back." The girl did not stir but remained as she was. Two hours later she began to breathe and she described visiting the spirit world. She said that while in the midst of her experience, she heard the voice of Pres. Snow telling her to come back. She didn't wish to go, but ultimately had to obey the prophet's command. And during Spencer W. Kimball's heart operation, his surgeon had to stop the procedure to give him a blessing. Not only did Kimball respond, but the surgeon said he had the distinct impression that he would one day be the president of the church. At the time he told of it, it seemed like an incredible long shot. President Lee was relatively young, in his 70s, and Kimball much older. Lee also was in perfect health while Kimball was a walking time bomb, having suffered through cancer and a heart condition. BTW, the surgeon later became an apostle and his impression came to pass. Lee soon died suddenly and Kimball became the 13th president of the church.

The anals of our history is replete with miracles, and you know that. And we Mormons aren't the only ones to experience miracles and healings. While we believe we have the apostolic authority of the ancient church, we also know that others, through faith, also can experience them. Read I Stand All Amazed by Elane Durham. Her death and revival were medically documented and yet, she didn't end up making any of the major papers. Hmmm.

The thing is, miracles are a matter of faith. Many non-Mormons witnesses beheld significant numbers of miracles, some which were reported locally in papers. Here are some articles:

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

@Cold Steel

Quote:

Smiddy: ...performing so-called miracles is not and should not be the criteria for believing in GOD, didn’t the magic practicing priests of Egypt also perform miracles? Exodus 7...according to the bible that is.

DeWandelaar: have you personally seen him do the miracles? Have you seen him waking the dead? No...it is “history” according to you but “history” is written by people with an agenda.

Well, that’s the issue now, isn’t it? Miracles should NEVER be used as a means of determining the truthfulness of any person or group. On the other hand, the gifts of the Spirit follow them that believe.

My reply:

John 3:2, Acts 2:22 are contradicting your statement. According to the biblical record his miracles where a proof of his devine nature.

Also... the "fact" that people were "witnesses" does not hold proof in itself. Like I stated before in a other comment there were recently 69 people that believed an angel of God was helping a girl that was almost dying in a car accident. The reason why they believed it all was that NOONE had seen the bishop and the bishop was NOT seen on camera. So 69(!!!) people were believing because they saw no evidence of the contrary. We all know NOW that they just did not notice the guy.

There are a lot of "wonders" in this world that get a label with "devine" interaction while studied more closely had a different reason. Also... the mind can be fooled big time.

Now in "Smith's" case it does not proof anything... IF he had the golden plates however that would have given everyone a sort of proof that at least the plates excisted (although even that would not give a proof of devine interaction since everyone who has golden plates can make a bogus language only HE can read).

All I ever hear from religious people is a whole lot of stories but you need to know that they who make a claim have the "proof of burden":

Maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

DeWandelaar:Now in “Smith’s” case it does not prove anything... IF he had the golden plates however that would have given everyone a sort of proof that at least the plates existed (although even that would not give a proof of divine interaction since everyone who has golden plates can make a bogus language only HE can read).

What many people forget in this debate is, one, anyone can receive affirmation from God regarding his truths (James 1:5-7), and two, those who accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and covenant with him, are the beneficiaries of those covenants, not GOD. By accepting heirship, one becomes a joint heir with Jesus Christ, receiving all that the Father has. So it’s a distinct benefit (and this is a gross understatement), and a supreme act of love, to receive such blessings. Many atheists and critics seem to think that they’d be doing the Lord a favor by accepting him and the ransom for their sins, Jesus Christ.

That said, let me iterate the fact that God has no interest in providing proof of his existence in spectacular displays of miraculous wonder. That said, miracles follow them that believe. One of our early apostles, Elder Parley Pratt, tells this story:

As the meeting closed a man named William Cory stepped forward, and earnestly begged of me to go home with him and minister to his wife, as she was lying at the point of death in consequence of a lingering sickness, not having risen up in her bed for six days without swooning or going into fits. He further said that he was worn out by being up with her every night, and that his neighbors were weary with watching, and it was doubted whether she could survive through the night without relief.

The Spirit would not suffer me to go with him that night, but I promised to call in the morning. At this many voices were heard, saying: “Yes, yes, there’s a case in hand; let him heal her and we’ll all believe.” Others exclaimed: “I wonder if she’ll be at his meeting tomorrow! We shall see, and if so, we’ll all believe.” Expressions like these, joined with my own weakness, only tended to dampen my courage and confidence in the case.

I went home with a friend who invited me to partake of his hospitality for the night. As we entered his house, we found one of his children very sick with a violent pain in the head, to which it had been subject from its birth, and which came at regular periods, and was never relieved till it gathered and broke at his ear-so said his parents. The little fellow was rolling from side to side in his bed, and screeching and screaming with pain. I stepped to the bedside, and laid my hands upon his head in the name of Jesus Christ; he was instantly made whole and went to sleep. Next morning he got up well, and continued so; he said that the pain all left him as soon as my hands touched his head.

In the morning, before I arose, I had a vision, as follows: I saw a log house, and entered it through a door at the northwest corner; in the northeast corner lay a woman sick in bed; in the southeast corner was a small door opening into an adjoining room, and near it a stairway, where stood a ladder; the fireplace being in the south end. As I entered the house and laid my hands on the woman, she rose up and was made whole; the house being crowded, she took her seat near the fire and under the ladder, or near by it, and she praised God with a shout of glory, clapping her hands for joy, and exclaimed: “Thank God, I’m every whit whole.” I awoke from my vision and related the same to the family where I stayed.

The man harnessed his horses, and with seven or eight persons in the wagon, including myself, we started for meeting, intending to call and see Mrs. Cory on our way, as I had appointed the previous evening. On alighting at her house I saw it was the same that I had seen in the vision; there were the doors, the stairway, ladder, fireplace, bed, and sick woman, just as I had seen and described.

I laid my hands upon the woman, and said: “In the name of Jesus Christ, be thou made whole this instant.” I then commanded her to arise and walk. Her husband burst into tears; the people looked surprised; but the woman arose and walked to the fire, and happened to take her seat near the ladder, as I had related in the vision before I saw her. She then clapped her hands for joy, gave a shout of “Glory to God in the highest,” and testified that she was every whit whole. We invited her to accompany us to the meeting; she immediately made ready, walked out, helped herself into the wagon, and rode some two miles over a very rough road. She then got out of the wagon, and walked with a strong and quick step into the meeting, where she sat till the discourse was over; when she arose and testified what the Lord had done for her. She then rode home, and was baptized in connection with several others, who came forward and obeyed the fulness of the gospel. We afterwards laid our hands on them for the gift of the Holy Ghost, when it fell upon them in great power, insomuch that all in the room felt its power and influence and glorified God; some spake in tongues, others prophesied and bore testimony to the truth.

The next evening I went over to Sackett’s Harbor in order to preach; many of the people from Pillar Point, who had witnessed these things, went with me, and, among others, Mr. Cory with his wife, who had been so miraculously healed. A great rabble came out to hear, or rather to disturb the meeting; and among others, some half dozen clergymen of different orders, who were loud in their challenges and calls for miracles; “give us a miracle—we want a miracle—heal the sick, raise the dead, and then we’ll believe!” The lying, rage, and confusion excited by these wicked spirits, broke up the meeting, and I had much ado to get out of the crowd without being stoned or torn to pieces. (Parley P. Pratt, Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, pgs. 90-92)

When he was younger, Pratt was troubled by the state of Christianity in his day. He, like the OP of this thread, wondered why God had ceased speaking to man 2,000 years ago. To him, it not only was important that baptism was performed correctly, but that those administering it should be called of God. He eventually was impressed by Alexander Campbell and Sidney Rigdon, the founders of the churches of Christ, but he was troubled by the fact that Campbell claimed neither revelation nor the ministerial authority to baptize. Later, both he and Rigdon joined the LDS church and led away a significant portion of Campbell’s church, which infuriated Campbell. Campbell also claimed that the days of apostles and prophets had ended long ago, and that healings and other spiritual gifts were a thing of the past.

The moral of the story, above, is that the influence of skeptics and unbelievers can have a negative effect on the faith of believers. Many early elders wrote that attempts to heal were often thwarted by the unbelief and ridicule of onlookers. Pratt traveled many thousands of miles on foot, once in a blinding snow storm—his only food a frozen piece of bread which hunger compelled him to gnaw on. He preached and healed throughout his journeys and essentially did what the ancient apostles did.

Regarding the gold plates, there were a number of reasons they were intended to remain hidden. First, Joseph Smith was only allowed to translate the first third; the rest were sealed and intended to come forth at a later time, perhaps in the Millennium. Second, even if he produced “the record” as his family referred to it, it still would not prove the integrity of his translation. They would merely be artifacts and, reason three, expensive ones at that. Recall that the record was found on property not his own, and chances are the land owner would have most likely laid claim to it. Even with no one other than Smith seeing it, there were vagabonds and thieves who were trying to get the record by force. Except for the intervention of the Lord and Smith’s immense strength, they almost succeeded. Finally, the Lord has no particular desire to “prove” his works to unbelievers.

In situations like the one Elder Parley Pratt described, above, you’d think many of those curiosity seekers—ones who knew of Mrs. Cory’s experience—would have all stepped forward to join the church, but only a few did. The curiosity seekers and skeptics seemed nowhere to be found. At this point it’s important to point out that neither Pratt nor any of our other elders have, at any time, leaned on miracles as proof of the gospel’s authority.

LDS authority James Talmage writes: “The exercise of these powers...ordinarily termed miracles, is by no means an infallible proof of divine authority; for some true prophets have wrought no such wonders, so far as records show, and men have been known to work miracles at the instigation of evil spirits.” Nevertheless, he added, the possession of the power in the working of miracles is an “essential characteristic of the Church,” and when such things are wrought in the accomplishment of holy purposes they serve as “confirmatory evidence of divine authority.”

If God were to reveal himself through incontrovertible miracles, without the converting power of the Spirit, men would be obligated to obey or face the dreadful power of heavenly judgments. Such miracles also don’t have the staying power of influence wrought by the Spirit. In the Book of Mormon, miracles in the new world accompanying the birth of Christ scared the skeptics silly, because they knew they had been prophesied. Over the years, however, they grew complacent and became convinced they had simply witnessed anomalies of nature, an idea the prophets laid directly at the feet of the Adversary. As the date of Christ’s prophesied death and resurrection approached, many of these same skeptics planned an all out attack on the church. But before they were able to put their plans in effect, a great storm of darkness moved in over the land and there were lightnings and thundering. Then the fabric of nature seemed to give way as earthquakes and volcanic activity began to destroy the wicked from the face of the land. Cities were sunk into the earth and tsunamis destroyed coastal areas. Then, three days later, on the first day of the week, it all stopped, and the Book of Mormon then records the visitation of the “God of Israel,” Jesus Christ.

The enemies of the church who just days earlier were planning an onslaught against the church and its leaders were gone. The miracles three decades earlier had not carried them through this cataclysmic event. The wicked were dead and their bodies were carried away in their cities which were now buried, swept out to sea, or burned. Had the miracles stuck with them, they would have been converted and been at the temple to welcome the Messiah. So miracles don’t work. Many in the early LDS church witnessed numerous miracles, yet fell away.

All I ever hear from religious people is a whole lot of stories but you need to know that they who make a claim have the “proof of burden.”

Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit.

“The necessity of proof is incumbent upon the
    person who makes the claims.”

Well, as I said, we need not prove anything, though if you were willing to put the time into it, we could provide you and anyone else with compelling evidence. But evidence and proofare two very different things.

One question I’ll put to you guys is, what kind of proof would you be happy with? What would it take to convert you and cause you to dedicate the rest of your life to living and proclaiming the gospel. (And I don’t mean having you go door-to-door or spending all your free time in meetings or engaged in “Bible studies”?)

Would a voice from Heaven do it? How about an angelic visitation? Or would restoring a limb to an amputee do it for you?

Invito beneficium non datur!

• mP
    mP

Cold:

mP, the only thing I can say is that I have said what I have said and do not retreat from any part of it. Almost all scholars believe the Testimonium Flavianium is not a true renditon of what Josephus wrote, and I'm highly inclined to agree. Still, instead of being a complete interpolation, many scholars view it as altered, not fabricated. That's the whole idea behind the Arabic version, which sounds much more plausible.

mP:

Im glad you highlighted it is a fraud. Your second sentence is not true, i think you will find that most scholars accept the entire passage as fraudulent. A simple test that we can all do is simply read the text before and after and it reads uninterrupted. The passage(TF) does not fit the flow of the narrative.

i cant comment about the Arabic version, because i dont quite follow how that is different or important to the fact the TF should be thrown out. Like i said before Josephus wrote about a lot of people, many who got more words about them for doing far less insignificant things. If Jesus really existed and had lots of followers he should be present in his writings. How exactly does one explain why J is absent ? We can ignore the miracles and resurrection as im sure most realise they are completely untrue.

• mP
    mP

Cold:

Qcmbr: I say this regularly to still believing Mormons, "If real healings existed in the church they would make international news."

This is where we would have to disagree. Many LDS doctors and bishops have witnessed miracles. My bishop helped cast out a devil that possessed a woman who was struggling so hard it took several men to restrain her.

mP:

Show me a LDS doctor that has cured an amputee.

Joseph Smith was a fraud, his translation of the Egyptian Scroll supposedly holding some writings from Abraham is a joke and a fraud. Even his own people questioned how he could translate pages of text from a handful of glyphs in the scroll. The problem is years later some r eal scholars got hold of the same scroll and showed how it had nothing to do with Abraham but was a prayer to Horus.

• mP
    mP

COLD:

The necessity of proof is incumbent upon the
    person who makes the claims.”

Well, as I said, we need not prove anything, though if you were willing to put the time into it, we could provide you and anyone else with compelling evidence. But evidence and proofare two very different things.

mP:

If your making extraordinary claims then you better have extraordinary proof.. otherwise your a liar.

Its that simple.

PS/

YOu have not apologised for using the TF as proof of Jesus. If you knew it was tainted you should have avoided using it or at least make a statement afterwards saying there are serious problems with the text. Its not honest to use something that is potentially flawed like this without letting people know the whole picture. That is the very dfeinition of dishonest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit