Article: It's Time to Outlaw Extreme Shunning in Modern Society

by AndersonsInfo 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Is there a form of shunning that is not ‘extreme?’”

Yes.

Institutions shun individuals as members all the time. They do this without forcing members to refuse social interchange with the same individuals as family members and friends.

Employers shun individuals as employees all the time. They do this without forcing current employees to refuse social interchange with the same individuals as family members and friends.

You can avoid a person as a member and/or employee without imposing social disassociation.

Marvin Shilmer

Marvin,

I don't think I understand. Can you provide some specific examples of the institutions and employers you referred to?

• adamah
    adamah

frankiespeakin said-

I don't know?(not certain), that word extreme is what bugs me. One has to assume an awful lot it sounds too black and white. Extreme/Mildest/most moderate/miniscule. I get turned off by it, it is my own prejudice it's true, but that is my opinon.

Don't waste much brain glucose on it, other than to realize it's a paradox. It's meaningless, makes no sense, but only creates the impression of being profound and indicative of deep understanding when it's simply goofy on its face, and likely reflects watching too much reality TV (eg Extreme Makeover).

(A more-useful word choice would perhaps be 'INSTITUTIONALIZED shunning', or the like.)

Marvin said-

Contemporary society is gaining more and more knowledge of emotional bullying and it’s physical effect on the citizenry. Unlike some others, I can see a day when legislative bodies find a way to write law against this effect. Shunning of the sort Watchtower imposes kills people. It’s that simple.

Yes, but shunning is ignoring, and you can ignore someone, or NOT: that's it. There are no gradations of ignoring.

Similarly, the comparison to "hate speech" is irrelevant, since there's no such thing as "hate shunning". Free speech rights includes the right NOT to speak: the gov't cannot FORCE people to speak, nor should it (the famous Miranda rights comes to mind).

The example you cited of WT policy change was VOLUNTARILY made by the WTBTS; the gov't didn't FORCE them to change their policies. Advocating for a change in laws is pointless and counter-productive, since you'd require more erosion of individual liberties, and you instantly lose any credibility with those Americans who DO understand the value of the Constitution which so many have given their lives to PROTECT.

(Ironic, since you'd almost suspect those advocating for such laws may have missed this point? Perhaps it's because they WERE in a cult which was content to free-load by not letting their members serve in the military, and hence they didn't completely understand this type of thing?)

As repeated ad nauseum, the MORALLY-RESPONSIBLE (i.e. non-pie-in-the-sky, non-trolling) way to seek a change on this shunning issue is to:

1) seek out those ex-JWs willing to use their past experience inside JWs and admit to the wrongfulness of engaging in shunning, then focusing on the harm it does, NOT to the target of shunning, but those who ACTIVELY SUPPORT the practice. They then can speak out against the dehumanizing effects, the toll that it took on them as an individual.

2) Locate those who are willing to deliver that same message (the more, the merrier, perhaps with jump cuts between individuals, edited together to convey a scripted message) in a 30-second public service message video that is posted to YouTube. It would be a home-run if the person was DFed simply BECAUSE they refused to shun a family member: they could be the "poster child" of the campaign (if they were willing).

3) Once you have a slick professionally-polished spot posted on YouTube, everyone here can rally behind it, increasing public awareness of the video by posting links on forums elsewhere, and see where it goes. (Incorporate cute kittens or whatever the current viral theme is, if you must).

That's all you can do: educate the public, but more imporantly, educate those same family members who are shunning you currently, as THEY need to be convinced they're only hurting THEMSELVES; sometimes hearing the message from a stranger will break through to them. They are the ones who can force a change inside the WT (and I wouldn't hold my breath: it's worked for 3,000 yrs), ALTHOUGH your families MAY decide not to remain victims of WT any longer and "flee from Babylon the Great" which is an even GREATER "win" for you.

I started a "Shunning Confessional" thread, just to get the ball rolling. Not surprisingly, most would seemingly rather continue arguing about outlawing shunning, and few are actually willing to do anything about addressing it.

Here's the thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/258897/1/Countering-JW-shunning-How-a-social-psychologists-work-from-50-yrs-ago-points-to-a-new-approach

Adam

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Can you provide some specific examples of the institutions and employers you referred to?”

To shun is to avoid, to reject, to spurn.

An employer (any employer) can reject someone as an employee yet treat them just like anyone else socially.

When shunning is deployed as a universal weapon that isolates a person socially from family and friends is when it reaches lethal potential.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“There are no gradations of ignoring.”

Adam,

Ignoring is ignoring, but all ignoring is not the same. More importantly, we can ignore and not ignore the same person at the same time.

I can ignore you as a vendor yet not ignore you as a friend.

I can ignore you as a financial advisor yet not ignore you as a family member.

Marvin Shilmer

• adamah
    adamah

Marvin said-

“Is there a form of shunning that is not ‘extreme?’”

Yes.

Institutions shun individuals as members all the time. They do this without forcing members to refuse social interchange with the same individuals as family members and friends.

The JW response is that the INDIVIDUAL family members VOLUNTARILY refuse to associate with their DFed familiy members. Whether they are threatened with the same treatment is irrelevant, due to 'freedom of association' rights given under the US Constitution which protects the WTs right to refuse/exclude admittance to anyone.

Employers shun individuals as employees all the time. They do this without forcing current employees to refuse social interchange with the same individuals as family members and friends.

Are you referring to "firing" employees? Well, sure, that's the business world's equivalent form of shunning, but again, thanks to 'freedom of assocation' rights enjoyed under the US Constitution, current employees are free to associate with fired employees.

Marvin said:

Ignoring is ignoring, but all ignoring is not the same. More importantly, we can ignore and not ignore the same person at the same time.

I can ignore you as a vendor yet not ignore you as a friend.

I can ignore you as a financial advisor yet not ignore you as a family member.

OK, then, enough idle chit-chat and talk: let's DO it.

Let's see a rough draft of the specific legislation that you are advocating.

Put something into writing, and let's see what you come up with to translate this idea of outlawing "extreme shunning" into specific, concrete language that you believe will pass legislative scrutiny. I'm all ears (heck, we can make this a community effort).

Adam

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Can you provide some specific examples of the institutions and employers you referred to

In layman's terms, it means saying "you're laid off." It means you don't work here; it doesn't mean you can't talk to relatives who still work there or have a beer with your former co-workers. You could even get a good reference from your former boss, who probably feels bad and wishes business was good enough to keep you on the payroll.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

AAWA gives me a bad feeling.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“The example you cited of WT policy change was VOLUNTARILY made by the WTBTS; the gov't didn't FORCE them to change their policies.”

Strictly speaking that’s not true.

The change I alluded to earlier was, as it was told to me, compelled by common law findings related to the point at which a person became a member of Watchtower’s religion, given that membership is the point at which an individual is subject to the religion’s governing. Membership occurs at the point of baptism and not before. Watchtower had to decide, and this decision was compelled by common law findings.

Otherwise, if anything has influenced Watchtower policies it’s been secular law, both statutory and common. Watchtower changing how disfellowshipping was announced? Secular law influenced this over and over again. Watchtower changing the “no blood” cards? Secular law influenced this over and over again. Watchtower changing when and under what circumstance parents can let physicians treat their child without active resistance regarding blood? Secular law influenced this over and over again.

I see no reason to think secular law will not or cannot make further inroad into Watchtower’s world by reducing the real harm to citizens caused by the sort of shunning Watchtower currently imposes.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Let's see a rough draft of the specific legislation that you are advocating.

“Put something into writing, and let's see what you come up with to translate this idea of outlawing "extreme shunning" into specific, concrete language that you believe will pass legislative scrutiny. I'm all ears (heck, we can make this a community effort).”

I don’t have a rough draft. I have an idea based on the historicity of secular law influencing religious practice toward less harmful outcomes to citizenry. When/if that idea grows I’ll put it to paper and submit it to my legislative representative. Until then I'll keep talking of the idea until it’s refuted as meritless. Given contemporary and growing sensitivities to hate speech, it seems to me this is a potential approach to demonstrating how Watchtower’s brand of shunning harms citizens in a way detrimental to a sovereign state’s interests.

I’ll also keep listening to and helping develop ideas of others as time and circumstance allows.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit