Article: It's Time to Outlaw Extreme Shunning in Modern Society

by AndersonsInfo 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Marvin,

I don't believe your statement is correct that no religion can induce its members to refuse conscription during a time of war. The Sedition Act of 1918 was repealed in 1920 after war hysteria died down. So were the most restrictive parts of the Espionage Act of 1917. There is essentially no law on the books today under which Rutherford could be convicted for doing the same thing today if that is what you are referring to. The convictions under the repealed WWI acts are largely viewed by historians as a result of war hysteria and as not consistent with the American system of liberties. Who is to say what would happen if another war took place, but in the meantime first amendment rights are not likely to be restricted as you propose.

I read an interesting book on limitation of first amendment rights a couple of years ago by Geoffrey Stone, a constitutional law professor. It discussed the Rutherford prosecution among others. The central argument was that in the entire history of the U.S., it's only in times of war that first amendment rights tend to get narrowed significantly.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Another news flash! If you need to know law or how to handle a lawyer after I leave, don't ever ask any other law student or soon to be lawyer. Don't choose a Harvard or Yale under Chaserious. I've encountered hundreds, thousands of law students and new lawyers in my life. Chaserious is going to go much higher than I am. He may end up a U.S. Supreme Court justice. You may be impressed by someone who drops legal jargon anyone knows after 1/2 day in a law school but I am not and neither is any senior lawyer here. If you have an emergency (and it will dry up completely if it is abused), PM Chaserious.

He is the best example of all of local talent already here. If anyone who thinks they know law better than I do b/c they have a junior high education, hate me but go to Chaserious. I am too busy to court him and know what law school, his grades, what law review articles he has written, etc. Yet from his explanations and takes on the law, he is potential Supreme Court material.

So you have two examples already here of how to behave and think the way mature lawyers do. Why do you choose the lightweight? If she ever stop pretending that she knows everything about everything and crapping on older lawyers who want to mentor her, she could be great. Well, I now have power over law students and young lawyers. Ch. is an aberration! Heck, even if he is the wrong place at the wrong time and he is cut off from all lawyers for a while, he will rise from the ashes and counsel Obama or the next president.

Bright lawyers are more than a dime a dozen. Forget me. Stop all the posting that embarasses every professional who enters here. Reading a lot of books and knowing an incredible number of books can never compensate for a decent prolonged education. You may be incredibly bright and knowledgeable. Great schools do not teach facts. They teach manners and perceptions.

Without ever talking with Ch., I know he did not go to Yale Law. Nevertheless, my educated guess is Harvard, Boalt, NYU, Columbia, Penn, or someplace. If he does not test well, he may have gone to a lesser school. No matter. Profs. at Harvard, Yale, etc. would die for one Ch. Cettain skills translate into remote fields. If you are bothered by a doctor and need to vent, ask Ch. In my enitre life, I have never seen such talent for what lawyers truly admire as Ch. He does not realize it. I pray that it does not go to his head. From the first post I read, I knew in my bones that he could solve your problems. Don't go for the gaudy and think that people in power watch Dateline. Ch. could just visit NY, Boston, or DC and accidentally walk in the path of some famous person. The famous person will be very delighted that their path crossed Ch.

A young person or new to the field person with incredible insight and diplomatic skills--don't ignore it. It is so rare. Don't ever be impressed by instant alerts on any moron law case or Dateline. Yes, I know I am going too far but this has triggered me for years. Go to heaven and perhaps restraint. Under no circumstances, will anyone here defeat and humilate the WT. It can only be restrained over the course of decades. Ch. is here. Pay him to post.

• Simon
    Simon

If you go off the dictionary definition of shun as 'to reject' then yes, technically, employers 'shun' the applicants that they do not select.

But I know of no one on the planet that uses the word 'shun' in this way so using it to excuse the 'extreme' is a little weak. But then it seems no bridge is too far and nothing can't be streteched far enough when it comes to marvins 'unbiased and impartial commentary' on any matters BBXB.

Just assume that they are right and remarkable whatever they do or don't do and you'll understand.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but obviously the leaders of the WTBTS--the organization under discussion--has a policy of institutionalized shunning which it coerces it's members to obey without discretion.
    This is why I said in my comment on the first page of this thread, "instead of the expression 'extreme shunning,' he [Richard E. Kelly] should use institutional shunning and/or coerced shunning."

I agree and that is the point. To use a phrase but offer no explanation or details on what it actually involves makes the article nothing more than a piece of self-promotion and cynical use of someone's tragic death as the vehicle for it.

Instead of trying to attack 'shunning' which is a battle that cannot be won I think it would be better to push for things that no group would dare oppose and could be supported by all groups that would have an interest including most religions.

Who really gives a damn about shunning? No one. People watch 'Breaking Amish' and hear about it. It's not a big deal in the mainstream psyche.

Something more achievable would be to support legislation that could be enacted such as not allowing minors to make liftime dedications to organizations or religious orders. No baptisms under 18. You can make a symbolic one to keep the zealots happy but nothing is legally binding until you are 18 (so you can't be kicked out). Also, the rules and consequences of leaving the organization must be clearly stated in writing and maintained with any changes to the terms and conditions notified clearly to it's members. Make religions follow the same rules that other businesses have to. Why should a company selling you a 2 year phone contract have to be more open and honest than "god's representatives dealing with your life and spiritual well-being"?

Turn things around so instead of pushing for banning of something (which is difficult with religion) make it about freedom instead. Who wouldn't support "Religious Freedom"? Which group would openly say "no, we don't want any of that". Push for freedom to chose religion and to change or leave a religion without fear of retaliation or retribution.

That is something that lots of groups from lots of faiths would support. Anything Anti-WatchTower is always going to be small and limited because most people aren't affected and so aren't interested.

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about preparing information sheets for school counsellors and social workers, so they understand what they are dealing with when they are dealing with children in a high-control group that practices shunning of dissenters?

Take for instance the scenario of a mature minor, say, somewhere between fourteen and eighteen years of age, baptized, who is having trouble with alcohol, is dabbling in drug use, or becomes pregnant ?

Or a minor of the same age, baptized, who no longer believes, and is considering confronting his parents?

Social workers need to understand that the social supports that would normally be there (family, church, elders), could potentially do more harm than good should the child open up to them.

I think it is time for the wider society to wake up to the harm that shunning does to relationships, to a person's sense of self-worth and belonging.

• adamah
    adamah

Hi Marvin,

For the record, let me state here and now that I've run across the material you've written on your blog and have great respect for the fine work you've done on JW blood policy, as it demonstrates your understanding of the value of having a cogent argument backed by sound reasoning and solid evidence (which anyone can confirm on their own). It's very compelling material (at least to those who value (and DEMAND!) that kind of logic before sacrificing their very lives, due to someone else's scripture-twisting).

That's partly why I'm concerned to see you potentially sacrificing your hard-earned credibility by "grabbing the wrong end of the stick" on this issue.

Marvin said-

Everything I’ve suggested that can be dealt with legislatively is precisely to avoid the targeting of any particular religion and for sake of a sovereign state’s citizenry at large.

In particular, you write, “Instead, only laws that apply to ALL citizens and are in the public interest (such as anti-polygamy laws, which obviously effect Mormons, as well) will withstand SCOTUS scrutiny.

This is another way of saying precisely what I’ve said, which is why I conclude our minds have yet to meet in this discussion. But then, that’s what discussion is useful for; a meeting of minds; if not sooner then later.

Because I have an idea rather than a rough draft of legislation does not mean I’m unable to articulate the idea with words. It only means the idea I can convey in words is not something I’ve attempted to construct into legislative language.

And as if a Missourian, I've quoted their State motto: SHOW ME!

(another ruder way to say that would be, "put us or shut up!")

Remember: the title of the article is "Outlaw extreme shunning". OUTLAW, ie pass legislation to criminalize shunning (that's how MOST readers would interpret it, as most aren't going to see it as drafting legislation that allows filing civil suits against churches, based on claims of IIED (intentional infliction of emotional distress), etc.

And while there may be some obscure legal theories that could be cobbled together by someone with a brilliant legal mind on which to accomplish the criminalization of shunning, I suspect it's more like a theoretical pursuit, like searching for a perpetual motion machine (which is KNOWN to violate other well-established principles of physics).

Possible legal theories aside, the GREATER HURDLES are that there's NO existing mechanism to enforce such a law, but more importantly, there's absolutely NO POLITICAL WILL to pass such a law! To the contrary, it likely would be POLITICAL SUICIDE for any politician who sponsored or voted for such a bill, since can you imagine the attack ads that would be used against them when they came up for re-election?

"Senator Thinkshesgod voted to support a bill that dares to tell God what to do! Although he professes to believe in God, he's PUSHED his Godless agenda on us by voting FOR a bill that intrudes on YOUR religious freedoms which ultimately failed! Stand up for freedom and GOD! Show the Senator that he's not God, by voting for X!"

Richard Dawkins has pointed out repeatedly how we live in an age where public opinion polls show that religions have such a tight grasp on people's minds that atheists are more distrusted than pedophiles, and a politician coming out of the closet as an atheist is political suicide.

Not only that, but religions enjoy EXTENSIVE political lobbying power, and you'd come up against powerful special interest groups opposing any such legislation. If you haven't figured it out, 'God' is big-business, and has a powerful lobby with a vast war-chest, where only the most egregious and flagrant of abuses of religious power (eg the RCC child molestation by preists) are going to be kept in check.

As Simon and others have repeatedly said, it's going to take EDUCATION of the electorate on the issues for them to break the power of religious institutions; the shunning and all the other nonsense will collapse. Will it happen anytime soon? Not likely, and there's not much reason to think otherwise (eg we're living almost 2,000 yrs AFTER Jesus said "Uh, I'll be right back; there's something I've gotta do...." and people STILL are waiting for him to return). Religions like the JWs are easily able to move goal-posts, all in the name of serving Jesus and God, all driven on what people WANT to believe, allowing their personal narcissism to be played like a fiddle, believing THEY'RE so loved that the all-powerful creator wants to be BFF with THEM!

Marvin said:

Religious speech has limits. The limit is the point at which a particular piece of speech is demonstrably a threat to a state’s sovereignty, and a state’s sovereignty begins with citizenry. Hence protecting the citizenry from harm ranks religious speech, no matter the particular religion.

If the only thing that changes is how Watchtower is able to spew its religious rhetoric about associating with “unrepentant sinners” there is opportunity for improvement because I don’t see how the circumstance could be worse than it already is.

I see you're moving goal-posts, back to advocating for passing "hate speech" laws (eg as was done in Denmark, was it)?

Well, sure, but THAT'S a different matter, since regulating speech IS possible. And that's exactly what everyone is advising: focusing on the POSSIBLE, not the pipe-dream. It seems you've realized that publicly stating you're taking on the issue of shunning "head-on" by outlawing it just makes someone look silly and undermines their credibility, since it makes them appear powerless: they're content to tilt at windmills (as if delusional Don Quixote) by taking on religious delusion with an even GREATER sense of personal grandeur.

So hopefully the issue can be put to bed?

And to correct what I previously said about shunning being an 'all or nothing' affair (I said there are no gradations of shunning), I was incorrect: I neglected to consider the temporal aspects of shunning, where JW members ARE allowed to 'turn off the JW Shun Gun' at certain times without being sanctioned, eg JWs are allowed to discuss personal family matters amongst married couples and/or children (advised to stay away from discussing spiritual matters). In fact, JW parents are REQUIRED to train their DF children in Bible principles, etc.

So the claim of JWs being an example of "extreme" shunning seems even MORE questionable, since they ARE allow exceptions which I suspect the Scientologists and Mennonites may not allow (I'm not sure, but I'm not wasting time looking into a trivial detail).

Meanwhile, I see little participation coalescing around an idea which IS likely to have more of an impact (it relies on an EMOTIONAL and MORAL appeal, targeted to the participants who shun, and not some legal strategy). We're quibbling here, while a valid useful strategy is ignored and shunned. And why?

I suspect it's precisely BECAUSE it requires people standing up and doing exactly what Migram's study found: people are unwilling to take personal responsibility for THEIR involvement in an immoral practice but insist on being seen as victims of the "system" ("I was only following orders"), refusing to even acknowledge their past participation in a practice they now demand OTHERS to take personal responsibility for participating in. I suspect that the personal narcissism that explains WHY someone would become a JW is also the same sense of personal narcissism that PREVENTS one from cutting the invisible Gordian knot that keeps people hostage, and prevents them from helping others seem it.

I believe Jesus declared that kind of thing as hypocritical, or refered to the Gordian knot NOT as a rope, but as a rafter/splinter? For how can you hold others accountable, unless you're able to publicly acknowledge having been guilty of participating in a "cruel" practice, in the past?

Adam

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

There must be an argument that the WBTS has coerced its members into engaging in a practice that breaches the human rights of the df'd person. In essence it amounts to a form of organization-endorsed bullying. Like a bunch of mean girls inflicting the silent treatment on an out of favour girl. Schools don't tolerate that behaviour any more so why does society?

Similarly I would argue that the WBTS by coercing its members to indoctrinate their children into a set of beliefs that deny them the opportunity to realize their full poential also amounts to a breach of human rights principles.

Whether it could be argued in either case that it contravened law in any country would depend on how the Universal Declaration has been enshrined in local legislation.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

For strictly emotional appeal using the term "extreme shunning" may have some benifit, but to approach it from a legality stand point one need to be light on emotion and more on logic and what is workable from a prosecutional frame of reference. Fairness and universality along with unbiased preferential treatment of the subject needs to be kept.

Perhaps as we become more enlightened we will see measure taken by governments that counter act unfair shunning by authoritarian cults like the WT, or some brilliant lawyer will find a way to make it very unprofitable for cults to harrass disobediant exmembers through social torture of enforced shunning?That's what I'm waiting to see, will I? I don't know only time will tell.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Whether some like Richard Kelly’s article or find fault, it has served as a wonderful tool for discussion and I'm pleased to be part of it. Perhaps we can compare the posts on this thread like all of us being in a room brain-storming on what to do about "shunning." The result of such a serious discussion as what I see taking place now on JWN, could be some sort of consensus for what to do and, perhaps, what not to do, about shunning. By educating ourselves first about how to combat this inhumane treatment, done in the name of God, is the key to dealing with it. Maybe there is a way out of this dilemma but without input how can we take on this messy business in a practical way that might lead to success.

Barbara

• Simon
    Simon

When I grow up, I want to be sensible and reasonable like Barb

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Is there a way to differentiate between individuals shunning other people versus an organization promoting that its members shun former members or risk being shunned?

After reading the constitution and writings by James Madison, who is hailed as the Father of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, I would be very confident that he would not approve of the U.S. Congress providing financial incentives to an organization that has created a "Shun Gun" to influence its members to shun former members.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit