Protecting pedophiles while protecting children

by stillin 155 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Talesin called it right on page 4. Always report, always put the children first.

If they are doing things 99% wrong, let's not pat them on the back for changing to 96% wrong.

As long as they encourage / force children (including older teens) to go out in recruiting work, they should absolutely insist they only work with their parents or grandparents and never with others, including elders, unless the others are third wheels along with the parent.

Always take allegations seriously and tell known molesters and accused molesters to avoid children. Tell parents what websites have listed names, especially when a congregant is on it.

I get that some will use false allegations as a tool, such as in a divorce, so announcing names is probably a bad idea before a conviction. But generic warnings of a strong measure would help. Standing with any child while you encourage them to go to authorities is not wrong and it is not saying you know the accused is guilty. It is helping a congregation member pursue justice when a serious charge is made. If a murderer victim could come forward and accuse someone, we wouldn't debate whether the elders should accompany them to authorities or handle the matter in-house.

• Simon
    Simon

The only reason there are specific laws for clergy is they claim special exemption because of confession. I would rather the laws say mandatory for "anyone". Doesn't matter if you are a greeter at Walmart - if a kid comes up and tells you something like that then you call the people to handle it properly.

No exceptions.

That any group would hide behind the technicalities of the law instead of simply doing what is right is dispicable.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I am not in full agreement with a confession exception, I understand the principle behind it. If an elder did not immediately report a crime to WTS, maybe the rule would apply.

I believe it was California, USA that said it didn't apply because elders don't keep it confidential anyway when they share with WTS.

• talesin
    talesin

It's interesting, DogGone, that of all the points in this thread, you take exception to my quoting of a 97% recividism rate ... often, we do not want to believe the horrors of our world ........ that is a stat I used, and it's true that I did not 'fact check' it ... yes, it is a fact I learned, but it is from the late 90s .. But it is so true,,, child molesters are INCURABLE.

Let's be clear .................... child molesters and rapists ............ WILL re-offend.

Why would you try to downplay the seriousness of this FACT?

tal

• talesin
    talesin

In Canada, my own country, the Catholic Church published a booklet in 1992 stating "Everyone has a duty to report sexual abuse". Reporting has, evidently, been the internal policy since 2003. ( http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2010/04/12/vatican-abuse-guidelines.html ) However, some provinces, it is my understanding, only require reporting if there is a child "in need of protection". The requirement to report does not extend to confessions of past crimes, whether to the clergy, a physician, or a counselor. I believe the argument is to enable abusers an avenue to receive assistance so as not to abuse again.

NO... you are WRONG.

In Canada, reporting is MANDATORY, across the board. It is a Federal law.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

I know this, because I worked on a rape crisis line. We had extensive training, which included a session with the RCMP. Reporting of child sexual abuse is MANDATED by Federal law.

I can only hope that Canadian people, who are a part of the Jehovah's Witness cult, become aware of this, and STOP hiding the molesters in their ranks.

For the sake of the children.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Be careful of what you say, ,,, your DIS-information can do a lot of damage.

I REPEAT!

Reporting of sex crimes against children is MANDATORY in Canada. Though few are charged for not reporting, it is still THE LAW in our country.

xo

tal

• jhine
    jhine

DogGone , I did realise that your post was not only aimed at me , but if the cap fits etc . Can I ask a practical question to help me get a grasp of this . Stillin said that the man had confessed to elders so that made it harder to do anything . In my black and white world I thought that this would make it easier because the man was guilty , no heart searching about accusing an innocent man !! Why did it make it harder ?

• stillin
    stillin

Jhine; in the witness way of thinking, confession demonstrates remorse. The elders believe that they are doing things "god's way" by letting things slide. I suppose that if they were actually handling a person that fits into the 3% category that tale spin mentioned, and the offense was never repeated, it would have been fine. But it's better to be cautious when the numbers are so tilted.

• jhine
    jhine

thank you stillin , you are kind to answer . My name is Janet and I am trying to understand .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit