The President addresses the Nation

by designs 257 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

April 16, 2013

Asian-Americans Lead All Others in Household Income

$66,000

Asian-Americans exceed all U.S. adults when it comes to median household income, $66,000 vs. $49,800.

A century ago, most Asian Americans were low-skilled, low-wage laborers crowded into ethnic enclaves and targets of official discrimination. Today, they are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States. And they are the most likely of any major racial or ethnic group in America to live in mixed neighborhoods and to marry across racial lines.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/asian-americans-lead-all-others-in-household-income/

--------

Why is that? They were discriminated against. They are easy to identify, like black people are. Yet, they have risen to the top of the heap, so to speak.

S

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

There are a number of reasons why they were able to excel... you seem to want to keep picking at black people... why?

My father who I talk to regularly recalls living in the house with his grandmother who was a slave.

Forced to walk to school and not have books in class while his white counterparts did. Not being able to use the bathroom in school because they didn't have one. Being told by teachers they could not achieve things.

WOrking at a company 30 years and recieving awards for his service yet not able to get a promotion in North Carolina because as he was told - you can't put a negro in a place to manage whites... in 1977...

Although your article seems to justify your point it really does not. There is a stigma attached to Blacks that was never attached to any other people. Why this is so hard to accept I do not understand, its documented. Many have lived through it and they still do. Fortunately I have been able to achieve because I had parents that beat into my head the need to do so. I was lucky and got a number of breaks. I was discriminated against. Lost a lot of things because people thought certain things about me based on race. I pushed threw it and got lucky. Everyone doesn't get luckty

• designs
    designs

Satanus- I saw first hand how peoples of Asian peoples succeeded here- 1 the family unit stayed intact. 2 education was a high priority. 3,4, successes were not just praised but demanded, families pooled their resources to advance the youngest family members.

I studied with several Asian families, as a JW, back in the 1980s. They were part of the Cambodians and Vietnamese that came over here. They lived 8-12 persons to a single bedroom apartment, only the children knew any English. The parents worked round the clock doing the most menial cleaning jobs. they saved to buy a business and everyone pitched in to run the business and the money went to sending the kids to college as they got old enough. Those kids who became professionals pooled the money back into the family. Now I see and work for these families from Asia and India who are building custom homes in Orange County, but this has stayed the same- they all still live together 8-12 or more people, big family, multi generations in a mansion.

I saw the same with Japanese families who lost everything during WWII and were sent to Manzanar. They came out with nothing and were determined to rebuild their life, family, and new careers. They formed business associations. They stayed cohesive. One businessman I was very close to showed me a check in his desk one day that was for $1500.00, signed by Franklin roosevelt as repayment for being sent to Manzanar. 'Ted' had been worth millions before WWII, lost it all when the Gov. confiscated his holdings, he rebuilt....and he never cashed the check from the US Govt..

• Simon
    Simon

That isn't true - the laws and descrimination, even the signs, were against 'non whites'. It included chinese, indian, jews, asians and latinos and not just blacks. I think if it did they would have said 'no negroes'. Most attention is obviously given to blacks - possibly because it was more clear-cut than less-dark races.

Descrimination isn't exclusive to blacks.

So why aren't jewish, asian and chinese people talking about it? I'm sure it's not just 'poor PR'

• Satanus
    Satanus

designs

Right, working w eachother, instead of preying on eachother.

S

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

There were alot of "No Blacks Allowed" and "No Mexiacans" allowed as well.

Going back to the 1500 and 1600s asia was seen as a place far dif from Africa.

Africa was considered the Dark continent ... savages... uneduacated... asians did not have that same stereotype.

As years passed Asians were accepted far sooner than blacks. How many Asianswere being lynched in the 50's and 60's. Why were the numbers so much lower. How many Jews were lynched during the same time period in America. If is obvious that America had a far deeprer hatred for Black people in this country than any other race. When they did manage to acquire race whole towns were burned down. Influential individuals were killed with no repercussions. I am kind of surprised that many people are trying to deny this. That is part of the reason that people hold on to things for so long... because no one wants to admit this was the case.

How about we just agree that black people are predisposed to more violence and lack of upward mobility all of their own choice. Would that be a better solution. Maybe have them all shipped back to africa and all of a sudden America would be like the Jetson's with flying cars and robots cleaning our houses. This is totally amazing.

• Simon
    Simon

Both of these things are true:

Segregation was applied to and affected black / African Americans more than other races. Attrocities such as lynchings were targetted specifically at them.

Segregation and racism as a whole was also targetted at other non-white groups that were not African American

They are not mutually exclusive - I think when one person says one they are imagining the person is saying that the other isn't true. They are both true. No one is trying to deny either and we can acknowledge both.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I don't think the Asian to Black comparison is fair. I feel that if Asians had been the ones enslaved instead of Africans then their roles would be reversed. And I mean enslaved in the way that Africans were so don't feed me the line about how bad the Asians had it on the west coast when they immigrated here. Africans had it at least several orders of magnitude worse.

• Simon
    Simon

I agree - perhaps questions of racial identity and behavior work only at a superficial level.

There were not town parties held to watch other races tortured and hung (AFAIK) - the extremes of racist behavior were systematically targetted toward blacks when that was happening (not to discount previous inhumanities toward other races).

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Ultimately and in closing, African Americans are doing much better than they were. Eventually I think that it will be a leveled playing field. The current generation is far more open and are WILLING to accept what has taken place in the past without being ashamed to admit the full extent of what was done... they also realize that certain things can't e held on to forever and be acrutch.

Personally I see it getting better, yet I still get upset when I go to a grocery store and I am still told before running my debit card that they do not accept EBT when the people in 3 people in line in front of me did not get this warning... although I have accomplished much most assume I am still poor and on welfare.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit